Bongofish
December 12, 2017, 09:21:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about adb tablets  (Read 3147 times)
palmisanod
New Poster

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2010, 03:50:39 PM »

I've been looking on eBay for tablets and it seems to be hard to find any serial/usb tablets for windows machines so I was wondering if it is possible to hard wire an adb tablet and convert it to a serial port that windows can recognize.
Thanks in advance for the  help.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 04:11:08 PM »

I have been seriously looking at doing this. From the Wacom tablets that are advertised as working on a Mac, only the ones with the model number that ends with the letter R  (UD-0912-R)  (R is for seRial) -- can be adapter to work on PCs.  Any model that ends with the letter "A" will not work.

Some models seems to be close to work but some parts are missing internally.  Unless you have good experience with SMT (surface mount) components, this is not for you.

Even if you have the ADB-USB iMate adapter, there are no drivers to support this and ADB is an unknown concept in Windows. If you are a device programmer and want to start diving into this, there might be ways (and I will help if you decide to do this), but this is an overtaking too.

EDIT:  I created a hardware project (waxbee) to convert ADB tablets to behave like a Wacom USB tablet.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 03:14:00 AM by bernard » Logged
palmisanod
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 01:08:30 AM »

I knew it wouldn't be easy, so it looks like its back to the drawing board.

so the next question is, other than eBay, what are good resources to find used Wacom tablets in the 9 X 12 range.

Thanks for the fast reply bernard!
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 07:29:34 AM »

Older serial tablets currently don't work on Vista.  There is a driver you can buy, but last time I looked that was $75.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 03:05:15 PM »

I believe wacom is giving away their "penenabled" drivers (for tabletPCs) -- and as far as I can tell -- these penenabled devices are hooked on a internal "serial" port. I wonder if there is something that can be done here for our serial devices. Does the penenabled drivers support the basic features like pen pressure and eraser?
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 02:08:58 AM »

These drivers are there to "add" pressure sensitivity and boutons functionality to Tablet PCs.  It is meant for WinXP for Tablet PC and Vista.  I would thus imagine it would also work for Vista.  They do not talk about 32bit/64bit so I suspect it works with both.  It would be nice if someone with a microsoft Digital-Ink-enabled OS. They also mentions that this driver also detects the non-intuos ones (Graphire, bamboo).  There might be hope...
palmisanod
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 01:51:56 PM »

There maybe a possibility of Microsoft solving this problem for us. I haven't done the research, but, keep in mind that this is just a thought, with windows 7 there's the XP compatability mode. Now most of what I read makes me think that it only effects applications, but there is a slim possibility of running hardware in the same mode giving new life to the Serial tablets that are still in use. I'll have to do some more research on this but I think it's a possibility.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: