Bongofish
November 15, 2019, 05:10:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: WHERE TO GET ONE
1 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VGA TO USB  (Read 2313 times)
bigred
New Poster

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2010, 11:27:33 AM »

HI people
i recently brought a wacom cintiq PL500 from flea bay and cant get it to work due to the fact its VGA TO VGA and the  drivers only support usb version (should have checked before i brought it Undecided) it is definatly the PL500 as it actualy says it on the unit.
If i buy a VGA to usb converter would it work and ive heard i need to get a certain type ive seen some for around the £40 mark but dont know if there the right ones.
Do the VGA TO USB converters trick the computer into thinking its hooked up to a USB cable?
the thing is the screen is trying to work on the VGA TO VGA  however its all funny colours so before i sell it for spares or repair id just like to make sure its not something simple to fix or if its screen resolution that needs changing.
any help as all my local computer shops know didly squat and my main mac shop seems to be the same there must be people out there that use mac's instead of PC.
Cheers cliff
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 06:49:35 PM »

VGA to VGA ??  What do you mean?

Can you post pictures?  I could not find specifications about PL-500 nor pictures of all the connectors.

A VGA - to - USB thingy will not work for sure.  We are not talking about the same thing here.   A Cintiq is essentially 2 devices glued together:

- a LCD screen
- a Tablet

You typically need 2 connections for these.  One for the screen (15 pin sub VGA / DVI)  and one for the tablet (usb or serial 9 pin sub or other).

It is possible that they merged the 2 into one and you would then need a custom cable.  But post detailed pictures of all the stuff you have we can certainly help here.
Oobly

DIY everything!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 08:06:19 AM »

I posted a reply here: http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=1646.0

Anyway, to reiterate, the PL-500 uses DVI and USB. It has 3 connectors on the unit itself, one for power, one for the tablet part which is USB and one for the screen part which is DVI. No mention of VGA or 9-pin serial in any review or specifications page I could find.

To test the screen part you need to connect the DVI port to your computer with a DVI to DVI cable. If your computer doesn't have DVI out then you have a problem. Most newer Macs have a mini display port to DVI converter.

To test the tablet part you need to connect the USB port to your computer with a USB to USB cable. If your computer doesn't have a USB port then it is seriously old....

USB and 9-pin serial (D-type) are connection ports for serial peripherals, DVI and VGA are connection ports for displays. There is some similarity between a 9-pin serial connector and VGA as they are both D-type connectors, but the VGA has 15 pins.

Could you please post a picture of what the connections on the unit look like? We can give better advice then.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: