Bongofish
December 09, 2019, 12:56:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: broken FFC  (Read 7513 times)
random-jimmy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 03:02:05 PM »

Sorry for the delay in replying Smiley and warning: tl;dr again

To answer all your questions:

IDE cable- just cut off a bit between connectors
- unusual pitch is not a problem - as bernard said, just pull the individual wires from the main cable i.e. put a split down the ridges that run the length of the cable. This means you will be able to just pull them apart slightly at the ends to match the weird pitch
- the IDE cables are stranded, not solid, which means you will have to tin the wire end before attempting to solder it

Soldering Temperature - largely dependant upon how fast you can solder them. 400C is a nice temperature to work with - and is what I usually use (450C is for bigger stuff i.e. large diodes, transformers, etc). Also, practice first on an old PCI card or such - use the edge connector (the bit that fits into the slot on the motherboard). Just add solder to the "fingers", and then remove the solder, then clean it, then add solder, remove solder, clean... etc.

This practice will be essential, because I can almost guarantee you will burn off at least one of the fingers on that PCI card. Apply too much heat, or leave the iron on for too long, and it will just fall off. You don't want this to happen on the LCD: it is still fixable, but wouldn't be worth the time and effort. So: PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!

Some final notes:
When soldering the cable, make sure you tin both the pads and the wire ends before the soldering (and have some excess solder on the pads). This means that all you have to do is place the two together, and add a tiny bit of heat with the iron.

Definitely clean up that brown residue with methylated spirits. Just apply some with an ear cleaner, wait about 5 mins until the flux has turned a bit white, and use an old toothbrush to remove the residue. The brown stuff is called flux, and can cause problems at the high frequencies used on the connector.

Do this clean-up procedure both after you finish cleaning up the pads in preparation for soldering, and also after you have finished the soldering.

Finally, when you have done all the soldering and attached the cable to the board appropriately, encase the pad and bare wires in silicon sealant. This will insulate all the connections and also provide more mechanical strength. Just make sure you test the LCD first before you put the silicon on - it is quite tricky to remove once it has set.
Angrysunshine
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 02:51:07 AM »

random-jimmy,
No worries about reply time! That was some really useful and clear information. I especially like the suggestion about removing and adding the solder repeatedly. I hadn't thought of that. It'll save getting a lot of otherwise useless (from my practice) hardware. Also good to know that the cables are stranded, thanks to bernard for asking and thanks to random-jimmy for answering.

In general,
I've actually found a couple things around the house I can practice on, but my worktable is out of commission, so until I have the use of it I can do no soldering Sad. I hope it'll be back within a week or two. And then I'm going to practice removing and adding solder for a while...

I'm still not sure if I'll end up using the same screen ('cause, like bernard said, it is a sweet screen). I'll get back to you as soon as I can.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 02:57:51 AM by Angrysunshine » Logged
random-jimmy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 01:47:13 PM »

Well if you don't end up using the screen.... whats the postage to Australia? lol

I admit I am quite the scab sometimes
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: