Bongofish
November 19, 2019, 04:26:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Using a tablet laptop and digitizer?  (Read 62613 times)
Wilcorp70

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2010, 06:57:03 AM »

Does anyone mind if I send this to hackaday.com.  I think they would be interested, and possibly able to help with the few problems we have left to overcome.

~Will
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2010, 08:02:51 AM »

Well, this is a public site, the more people, the more fun we have!  Grin  You can even post hyperlinks back to the forum if you want.
UnderSampled

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2010, 03:57:18 PM »

Well, I was going to try polish it up a bit more before telling too many more people. Perhaps I could make demonstration video that explains what is happening and how it works?

Note that it would take a little more time for me to this.

Wilcorp70

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2010, 09:22:22 PM »

I understand the desire to put a little more polish on it.  Thats why I figured I would ask before just sending them the info.  You've been doing some great work Undersampled, I think you're soon to become immortalized in this forum when this is done.

On another note, has anyone tried this on a Mac?  Tablet magic is a fully functional driver that supports tablet pc's as well as serial tablets, but Im sure everyone here knows that already.  I believe the preferences allow you to manually select the port and the code is fully available to modify.  If anyone had one lying around it couldn't hurt to try it out. 

~Will
Wilcorp70

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 26, 2010, 03:46:22 AM »

So I stumbled into this while looking for a driver for Windows CE.  If ISD stands for Integrated Serial Device like I think it does, then this driver could be the answer to everything we have been looking for.  Maybe I'm wrong though.  These seem to be drivers for developers using the adk on a standard serial port.

http://www.wacom-components.com/english/download/index.html

~Will
UnderSampled

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 26, 2010, 04:12:55 AM »

I tried the "ISD V4 Tablet Driver - USB to Serial" drivers earlier, but nothing seemed to happen. Maybe it's just me.

bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 26, 2010, 06:27:20 AM »

From their readme.txt:

Explanation:
   For use with Windows when the ISD Sensor is connected via a USB to Serial adapter.
   This installation expects to find an ISD sensor on COM1. If you need to install on a
   different port do the following:
      Copy this folder to the local hard drive
      Browse into the System32 folder inside and open the ISDCOM.dat file.
      Change the number on the end of the second line to the COM port you would like to use.
      Save the changes to the dat file and run the setup.exe installer as normal.
farinasa
« Reply #112 on: October 14, 2010, 06:08:37 AM »

I have a Tecra M7 that I would like to do this exact mod and would like to know how this worked out?  Did bernard's driver installation instructions work?  This seems like exactly the fix you're looking for.

Edit: Any testing with windows 7?

Edit: I realize how naive my post sounds.  I'm new and am just really excited to see if anyone got this working.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 07:28:59 AM by farinasa » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 14, 2010, 02:01:27 PM »

If your Windows 7 is 64 bits, nobody was successful, but again, nobody tried really hard either I think (Drew tried something recently, check the "recent posts" on the forum). I do not recall anybody reporting if they tried what I mentioned above. (other than UnderSampled comment).  For Windows 7, 32 bits, you might get lucky.

UnderSampled implemented its own "driver" (no support for pen pressure last time I heard about it).

There is a project going on to create a bridge for ADB tablets in hardware -- but one of the goal is to also support serial-to-usb -- that goal is far from being done (if we ever get there). http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=1738.msg12302#msg12302 
farinasa
« Reply #114 on: October 19, 2010, 11:06:13 AM »

Undersampled,

Are you saying that vtablet would not support the set up you now have?  Would it work with the virtual com port?  I'm wondering if I duplicate your set up (I already have the M7 digitizer) would the vtablet driver work?  Their website claims full wintab integration for photoshop, cad, etc...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 11:09:26 AM by farinasa » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 19, 2010, 12:54:54 PM »

AFAICT, nobody found a solution yet. 

My upcoming project *could* potentially solve this problem, but more work is required in there. http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=1738.msg12302#msg12302   (using a Teensy instead of a FTDI chip and perform on-the-fly conversions to act as another wacom product for which drivers exists).

EDIT (march 2011): I am quite far in this project and I am now targeting the serial-based TabletPC sensors. Follow up on that (long) thread above.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 07:24:13 AM by bernard » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 19, 2011, 07:32:30 AM »

For the record: I have now more or less duplicated his setup -- with another sensor (a 10 pins connector instead of 14 pins) --and Undersampled's little software (adapted to WinXP 32 bit) correctly reports X,Y & pressure data.  Next step would be to try out that ISD driver-for-developers by properly following the instructions (mine is on COM4) and see if we get anything useful out of this (WinTab, etc).   I have a 32 bit WinXP and 64 bit Win 7 to try out. 

Mind you, my little teensy-based project (when it works for tabletpcs sensors) will void the need for the FTDI board and drivers nor rely on some old Wacom ISD driver which could break every new Windows release.
collintmiller
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 14, 2011, 05:43:34 AM »

I just disassembled my Tablet Toshiba R25 to discover I had the same hardware. (WACOM SU-14W06E-01X)

I've ordered the power regulator and that tiny usb thing. Is there anything else that I need? Does anybody who has done this have an available detail shot on the wiring? I more or less follow this stuff but I'm more of a software/web developer guy than an electronics guy and I want to get as good an idea of what I'm supposed to do as possible. I feel like images would give me greater confidence I'm about to to do the right thing.

I'm also a little weak on what to do with the power regulator. The only Image I saw of it had it covered in tape, any tips here?
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 14, 2011, 05:35:32 PM »

welcome collintmiller,

I am not sure I followed: are you saying you ordered the "Teensy 2.0" board (16$) along with its 1$ 3.3V power regulator?     OR have you ordered the tiny (as in small) FTDI-chip breakout board along with the power regulator consistent with what Undersampled did?
collintmiller
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 14, 2011, 09:11:29 PM »

I think I had misunderstood as well, I do mean the "the tiny (as in small) FTDI-chip breakout board" as mentioned in this thread.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  

Jump to: