Bongofish
November 21, 2019, 04:00:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: LP154WU1 15.4" 1920x1200 - What do you think?  (Read 9045 times)
S3TH
New Poster

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2010, 08:21:40 PM »

So I'm considering the LP154WU1-TLA2. I still need to research it more..but heres what I've found so far.

- Model: LP154WU1
- Response Time: 16ms
- Contrast Ratio: 600:1
- Color: 256k (16.2mil w/ dithering)
- Screen Size Ratio: 16:10
- Resolution: 1920x1200
- Brightness(cd/m²) 185

And this controller?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Compatible-R-RM5451-LCD-Controller-Board-Kit-DVI-/280505297285?cmd=ViewItem&pt=COMP_EN_Networking_Components&hash=item414f6b2985

They would be for my Intuos4 Large build
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 04:18:18 AM »

That is actually a very good price !  This very much resemble the board I have -- And I paid much more than that(!)

Advise: make sure you contact them with your lcd panel brand and model and ask them what are your options.  It is better than reading/guessing.

B.
S3TH
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 04:11:50 PM »

I emailed them and they said it should be compatible, but they can't be 100% certain since they don't have the exact model to test it on. Being that it's only $30 I think it's worth the small risk.

The cheapest I have found this monitor for is between $110-$130.

Guess I should start ordering  Wink
tpope

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 07:49:37 PM »

Please let us know how it turns out. 
S3TH
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 06:02:53 AM »

Here's the back of this monitor along with the inverter. I'm pretty sure this is acceptable? Just double checking with you guys.

Will I need to extend any cables? Printed FFCs or CCFLs? I've been browsing threads in the forum and haven't found the reason behind doing that so I'm not sure if I need them or not. Also, just wondering if I can tell from this image what kind I would need if I need them or if I'll just have to wait till I get it to check them. Anywhere on here that will help me identify them?

Will removing the plate of metal at the bottom be difficult? Any ideas how most of them are removed?

I'll be starting a build log as soon as I get the parts in. Sorry I've been lagging on it. I've been trying to decide if I should do it or not. I finally made up my mind  Wink

« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 06:18:20 AM by S3TH » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 08:32:15 AM »

No FFC cable extension required.  

The big vertical cable in the middle will probably create jitter or dead zones, and moving it around might be tricky given  that the inverter seems to be hooked to that same cable.  Although in your case, you are getting a LVDS board, right?  If so, then it would replace that cable, so no issue there.  

not sure about metal plates -- I never had to do this -- make a POC when you can before scrapping anything -- hey maybe you won't need to remove it!   Grin
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 08:37:01 AM by bernard » Logged
S3TH
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 01:39:07 PM »

I'm assuming I'm going to be able to basically flip or detach the circuit board so that it's not directly underneath the screen right? I shouldn't need any extra cables or extensions to do that? You're correct that I'm going to be getting that LVDS board. - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280510523382

EDIT : This video helped me see how that top board is connected. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj4xOqLWqAQ&feature=related
Looks like i'll be good to go Smiley

Here's another picture of one.

The cable on this one seems to have a different wrapper or shielding..or whatever that is. Do you think one might be better than the other? If I kept them? Not sure if I can use them anyway.

The lcd controller kit comes with its own inverter as well. I wonder which one would be better to use?

« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 02:01:04 PM by S3TH » Logged
S3TH
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 02:49:24 PM »

Well I was JUST about to buy this and then I started stumbling across LED LCD panels! They're about the same price it seems, though I can't find any in 1920x1080. I can probably live with 1440x900. I guess LED's might have a better chance of not causing jitters? And they're supposed to offer better contrast / true colors.

Any recommendations on a good one? I'm going to resume my search after some sleep
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 04:10:52 PM »

The theory is indeed that the LED lcds are better (jitterwise). 

The cable in the back is not part of the LCD Panel component -- it is part of the monitor, laptop or LVDS board, that's why all cables look different for the same LCD Panel and that's why you can't reuse that cable (unless you reuse the laptop or monitor) the plug on the other end is "exotic".

S3TH
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2010, 05:59:11 AM »

Here's the response I got about the compatibility of LED LCD's with their controller board..

Thank you for your enquiry.

But I'm sorry to say that we may not help with a laptop LCD with LED backlight. You know, the LVDS interface is a bit complicated with LED ones; moreover, LED extension board is required(not easy to find suitable one). So I'm afraid that we may do nothing to help.

Best regards.

- njytouch

So that kind of sucks. I was looking at the LP154WP3-TLA2 or B154EW09 V.2 in particular. I might attempt to see if I can find parts for one of them specifically but if not I guess I'll just go with my original combo using the LP154WU1.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 06:01:27 AM by S3TH » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 02:30:08 PM »

Ooh. That guy is right.  Powering LEDs is not that complex, but the issue I guess it is that it can be quite *different* from one LCD Panel to the other. I guess probably because it has not standardized or "matured" yet.   Sad

Maybe we can try to ask all the people that sell LVDS boards -- to see if they have something to tell us.

bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 02:32:17 PM »

If you can find the datasheet for the LCD Panel(s) you are looking for -- it might explain how to power the backlight LEDs (electronic wise) and see if any EE guys on this board (or other forums on the net) can direct us.
S3TH
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 08:39:25 AM »

Well I went ahead and ordered the LP154WU1 and controller. Once I get everything in I'll let you guys know how it goes!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: