Bongofish
December 14, 2019, 07:38:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Custom casing  (Read 7746 times)
Demontiq

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2010, 04:20:55 PM »

So I'm about to start building my own cintiq, bur I'm still looking for a good material to produce an enclosure with.
would I use acrylic / plexiglass, or something else.
As I already found out acrylic is really really expensive here in the netherlands any (dutch) people who can advise me where i can get CHEAP Tongue black(matte) plexi glass/acrylic?
Once i finish my casing i'll post some build schemes up here Wink

~Demontiq~
Demontiq

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 06:43:29 AM »

Ok i found a really cool site (it's dutch though) and they sell everything from acrylic to polystyrene, now my question is; is polystyrene a good option for a custom enclosure or should i stick to polyester and/or acrylic?
here's the link, maybe google translate can make sense of it and otherwise just ask me Wink
http://www.kunststofshop.nl/N_frame.html?http://www.kunststofshop.nl/polycarbonaat-plaat-N_grp_33-1.html
oh and by the way plaat means sheet Tongue

~Demontiq~
cellofaan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 01:48:46 PM »

I don't think polystyrene is a good material for casing. It's basically styrofoam (piepschuim), but these plates are probably of a denser kind than the stuff they use for packaging.
But it's still quite bendable and not very strong.

Instead, you might consider MDF, which is cheap and easy to work with, but a little less strong than multiplex.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 03:16:03 PM »

MDF is of course much heavier and not very good if you spill liquid on it. But, who would spill liquid on his cintiq! Smiley
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 03:19:46 PM »

Polycarbonate is a hard and durable plastic and can be made extremely transparent.  (there are variants of course) this is what they use to do glasses!

Demontiq

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 07:45:37 PM »

Ok its probably gonna be polycarbonate then, i'll upload build schemes + process once i finish it Wink

~Demontiq~
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 02:29:38 AM »

Although it is used for glass lenses and a lot of applications, typically glasses have extra coatings to protect against scratches. What other choices do you have in there?   Contrary to what Wikipedia is saying (see below), I was under the impression that since it was a really hard plastic that it was a bit better at scratches. Acrylic always felt like it scratches just by "looking at it".

From Wikipedia:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycarbonate#Chemistry

The most common type of polycarbonate plastic is made from bisphenol A (BPA).[2] This polycarbonate is a very durable material, and can be laminated to make bullet-proof "glass", though “bullet-resistant” would be more accurate. Although polycarbonate has high impact-resistance, it has low scratch-resistance and so a hard coating is applied to polycarbonate eyewear lenses and polycarbonate exterior automotive components. The characteristics of polycarbonate are quite like those of polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA; acrylic), but polycarbonate is stronger, usable in a larger temperature range and more expensive. This polymer is highly transparent to visible light and has better light transmission characteristics than many kinds of glass.
Demontiq

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 03:58:38 PM »

Hmm ive also got polyester or polyethylene as a choice and on polyethylene it says that its very wear resistant. Anyway which one would be easy to bend as well, and would you get some kind of white stains while heating the material to bend it?
Demontiq

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 02:16:13 PM »

Ok so its probably gonna be polycarbonate.
How would go About mounting a fan would that gather a lot of dust.

Demontiq
Demontiq

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 10:36:36 PM »

Aaaand, how about fiberglass, anyone know what that would cost, and where to get it?

~DemontiQ~
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 08:14:11 PM »

Fibreglass eats tools though and the dust isn't something you want to be breathing.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Demontiq

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 11:02:35 PM »

Yup and i found out its pretty expensive as well im now also looking into a stand and found a monitor wall mount which might just suit my needs but i could of course also build one myself out of a lazy susan and some kind of clamp( like the cintiq stand;))
setasai
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 05:12:38 AM »

What about carbonfiber? http://carbonmods.com/ Mold it to whatever you want, mounting might be interesting though, but it sure does look cool when its done.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 02:45:12 PM »

Carbon fiber? Well, yeah! why not? Awesome stuff!

But I would expect this to be pricey, isn't it?

setasai
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 08:22:23 PM »

Well from the other site I linked for the CarbonTablet, they listed the resources for the carbon fiber casing from ebay as:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Carbon-Fiber-Kit-cloth-epoxy-TRIPLE-SIZE-BEST-DEAL-/190364412142?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_100&hash=item2c529a68ee#ht_500wt_956

For $100 bucks, I dont see it as any more expensive than lets say a large piece of lexan, not to mention all the work it would take to bend and shape it or at the very least, cut it.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: