Bongofish
December 11, 2019, 12:20:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Custom casing  (Read 7745 times)
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 09:07:45 PM »

Awesome!  But how does it work?

Then mention vacuum bagging is more expensive and not recommended for beginners. 

I would like to see a video on how a "beginner" would work with this.   I see more kits in his store ( http://stores.ebay.com/R-R-MUSCLECARS) I think it is a smaller kit -- going for 32$US

How do you work the surface afterwards? 
setasai
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 12:12:07 AM »

I thought the same thing myself until I found these videos from carbonmods.com.

http://www.youtube.com/user/carbonmods

They detail a quick procedure on how to make a solid shell or coat a preexisting part for the look.

In summary, I think if I can figure out the parts issue, i'll perform my first attempt like so....

1) make mold (probably out of wood and cover with thick foil so that it can be removed, maybe thick plastic sheets or something)
2) coat mold with the wax to keep from sticking
3) coat with that adhesive mix
4) lay down first carbon fiber layer
5) coat fiber with epoxy resin mixture from kit
6) redo steps 4-5 until i have 4 layers of carbon fiber
7) let cure and then do the sanding and polishing until its a good sheen
Cool use a small saw or dremel to cut and shape the final product (in this case the edges so that i'd have a nice shaped box)

I havent worked out the details yet but it looks interesting and it'd make a fantastically light case when finished. The final product doesnt need to be too strong so a few layers should do it (i read some people used between 10-18 layers and made a carbon fiber mountain bike with a foam core) and I should be able to figure out a final mold somewhere down the line.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 07:00:08 PM »

Very interesting stuff!  You got me excited here!  Smiley

It's the making a mold portion that I am unsure. Why do you need to put "thick plastic sheets" or "foil"? Plain wood wouldn't work?

I have tons of random thoughts & questions:

How did you come up with "4 layers"?  What about using just a single layer? AFAIK, carbon is quite hard to break but can bend -- so for "sturdiness" of the tablet (you are applying some force when drawing to it) you would need more than 1 layer?

How thick/flexible is the result of a single layer anyway? 

I assume that the black liquid thingy that is applied before putting the layer also adds to the thickness, that's the material that is on the "edge" and eventually becomes glossy, right? 

setasai
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 09:20:08 PM »

The reason for the plastic sheets or foil is because I need a smooth surface for the final product to rest on... imagine this... I'm trying to build a case that should have similar dimensions and shape as a macbook. I was thinking as a mold, I would just use a piece of wood, route the edges so they're curved, and then coat it with carbon fiber so that the wood side is the inside of the case. The plastic sheets or foil would help the release of the final hardened carbon sheets and also keep the inside smooth. It's epoxy we're adding to the fiber to make it strong so it'll stick to everything if its not coated w/ wax and smooth.

4 layers... well I just estimated that if a bike can hold a person with 10 or so... then 3-4 would be incredibly solid and i like that feeling on a case. Atleast 2 i think would be optimal because then the fibers run against each other and be much stronger.

Thickness isnt that thick at all... if you look at the video, that thing is thinner than plastic. Any resin you apply will be sanded and polished... and your not supposed to drench it with the resin anyway because all the resin does is solidify the fibers, and the fibers give the support. Extra thick resin actually decreases its strength, especially if you have too much between each carbon sheet.

Hope that helps. It looks cool. Now granted, I havent actually done one myself so if anybody has had experience... please chime in but as far as I can tell... in THEORY... thats how it should work... lol
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2010, 03:37:53 AM »

Will you put foil everywhere on the surface?  How are you going to do it for non-flat surfaces - like your "routed" edges?

If you are only putting foil on flat surfaces, I would be afraid that the liquid would "slip" under the foil on the "foil edges" (if you understand what I mean)

Anyway, I emailed the guy on ebay about shipping. The site mentions he only ships to US, no International shipping -- I am living in Canada. He responded that he would ship to Canada for like 25$US. cool stuff. But for others, I guess the UK site from the video also sells similar kits, right?  So probably they will ship anywhere I assume (for some reason, a lot of US guys on ebay only ships to the US -- weird).

« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 06:02:29 AM by bernard » Logged
setasai
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2010, 08:40:39 AM »

I'll probably put foil everywhere... Use the heavy duty thick foil so it wont rip so easily... alternatively I could also get a thin piece of sheet metal and use that as a mold. I'll keep everybody posted as I get the items together to test this sometime. I'm still running into the core issue with the wacom tablet/laptop combination... it's looking ridiculously large that it wouldnt be worthwhile as a portable unit anymore.

Strange when it comes to the shipping thing. I'm sure you could find other places that'll ship it to Canada or even a local seller perhaps.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: