test1
September 25, 2017, 01:52:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting a UD1212R (and other serial tablets) to work on Vista and Win7  (Read 41401 times)
Demontiq

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2010, 06:58:13 PM »

Hey I got my tablet today and to my great frustration it didnt work, so I got my sitecom USB-serial adaptor out and plugged the tablet in, now that dindt work either...
So i got to the sitecom website and downloaded their drivers, (V102 for me) and installed them through the device manager, thank god the adaptor works!
Next up was making a registry key, for that you can visit: (though i explained it a bit more clearly down here Wink http://www.anotherblogger.com/2007/03/31/vista-hacks-making-my-wacom-serial-tablet-work/
what I did is make that key call it PnPTablets and I gave it a value of COM3 which was my com port emulated by the adaptor.
After that I installed the wacom drivers (make sure the tablet is on as mine wasnt Tongue caused another whole lot of frustration) and hallelujah it worked!

So quick runthrough:

- Get a (good) USB-serial adaptor
- Plug it in and download its drivers
- Check the com port it uses (emulates) in device manager.
- Make a new registry key [ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Tablet ]
- make a new string value and call it PnPTablets
- give the string a value of COM# in which you replace the # with which COM port your serial-USB adaptor emulates in my case this was 3
- Install WACOM drivers for your serial tablet
- Happy!!!  Cheesy

Hmm, any idea how to get the wacom control panel to work, when i try to open it it says plese reinstall driver software which i did but it keeps on saying this, is this a vista problem? would linux be an idea, since i dont have a copy of XP over, does ud1212r actually work on linux, cause i just want the control panel to work...
~Demontiq~
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 07:12:37 AM by Drewid » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 03:38:03 AM »

is your Vista 32 bit or 64 bit?
Demontiq

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 05:55:30 AM »

32bit
I thought I heard about vista serial drivers, anyone? (they weren't wacom's own though)

~Demontiq~
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 06:15:20 AM by Demontiq » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 07:02:22 AM »

Have you tried installing the Wacom TabletPC driver?   Wacom-based TabletPCs are almost all serial beasts (internal serial ports) -- so maybe this "registry key" is the magic link that would make it work.  I have to try it out on my win7 64 bit.

Demontiq

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 07:51:15 AM »

nope haven't tried that yet, I'm running the XP version of wacom's driver for the Ultrpad series, it does work, but the problem is I cant get to the WACOM control panel, so I'm gonna try out the tablet pc drivers for vista, and see if i can get into the control panel then, i just really want to map my tablet to my screen for now!  Cry

BTW once I try to open wacom control panel
Start-->Wacom-->Wacom tablets(or something similar) i get a message
Please reinstall the tablet software.
I also tried running it as an elevated legacy control panel with no result either

Hope I was a bit cler I'm still a bit sleepy Wink

~Demontiq~
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 07:03:10 AM »

The mighty Tirshea has a work around.   Utterly fantastic!!!  Grin Grin Grin

After more and more web crawling, I finally got it to work, here is what I did :

• Grab an OLD version of the drivers
  • And a NEW one. Note that this is NOT the latest version, which is intended.
  • Uninstall any remaining wacom drivers you have or this won't work, reboot as well.
  • Plug the Serial-to-USB adapter, install its drivers, check in the Device Manager that it is working and had its COM port number assigned, note it down
  • At this point my Wacom XD-1212-R was detected by Win7, but had the usual yellow warning / ! \, meaning it needed drivers
  • Install the NEW Wacom drivers, tablet still jad the warning sign in the Device Manager
  • Unzip the OLD drivers (yes it is a .exe but just a self-extracting ZIP) somewhere handy
  • In the Device Manager, click on the Tablet and "Update Driver", click through to specify a driver location, then browse to where you unzipped the old driver
  • Use the ".\WacomTablet_493-3\System32\Drivers\wtablet.inf" driver file, warning sign is gone \o/  but the tablet still wont work...
  • Now the trick, a registry tweak : Use Regedit and go to \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Tablet". If the "Tablet" key doesn't exist, create it.
  • In the \Tablet, create a value just like the screenshot, named "PnPTablets" with a value of ",COM?" where the ? is your serial-to-usb adapter COM port number you noted earlier
  • Here I needed a last reboot

When Win7 finished rebooting, I had a fully working serial Intuos2 XD-1212-R, with pen pressure, angle and everything. The Wacom control panel is fully operationnal as well.

So YES we can ! use a serial tablet on Win7. I'm using the x32 version but I have read feedback saying it works just the same on x64.

I will also test the monitor I have for the infamous jitter test Smiley

Screenshots to help :

My Serial-USB adapter is a Channel+ brand, part number is U232-P9

Wacom Control Panel (in french)

Registry tweak, note that the Tablet key is indeed different from the Wacom key

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 07:10:57 AM »

hey tirshea, I was re-reading your post about your registry hack -- and I just realized that you mentioned (with a nice picture) that "tablet" is a different key from "Wacom" -- what is the difference between those two keys again?
IIRC, the 'tablet' key is a legacy of the vintage serial drivers while new ones use 'wacom' key...

But this is from what I've read, don't know much more than that.

Meanwhile, I'm getting a multimeter on Wenesday, will keep you posted.

bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 05:53:09 PM »

x64 bit windows is still "up in the air" -- still not convinced that it can work with Win7 64 bits. (which would be killer-awesome).
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 12:49:31 PM »

Didn't work because vista couldn't see the .inf file for the "update driver" step. I seem to remember reading about a work around for that.
I guess if I knew which files it puts where I could copy them over by hand, (same with registry changes).

I wonder - can you dual boot 32 boot and 64 bit Win7?  

I'm back in the UK this weekend so I might get time to try again.

Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 09:42:47 PM »

Just found this for GD

Pavel Koshevoy

You need to install WacomTablet_605-7 -- you can get that from the Wacom website, that is the highest-version wacom driver that supports serial port tablets.  I got mine to work today.  Here are the steps I've taken:

Download http://www.wacom.com/downloads/driver-detail.php?id=178
Right-click on WacomTablet_605-7 and select properties
In the Compatibility Tab select "Run this program in compatibility mode for" Windows Vista
Select Run this program as an administrator in the Privelege Level group box
Apply and close the properties dialog
Run WacomTablet_605-7
After WacomTablet_605-7 finishes -- reboot
Once Win7 reboots you will have a functioning Wacom Tablet
I've done this on my own system running Windows 7 Ultimate x64.  Device manager still shows a warning triangle under Other Devices -> WACOM GD, but the Wacom 4D mouse and the Wacom Stylus both work.

I hope this helps,

Pavel.

here
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/cabc605a-e0ae-469c-bac9-3aa7be1dbc02

SiliconeClone

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 11:53:00 PM »

Same page as above but different method worked for me! Win 7 64bit (no USB - Serial) I have Serial Port on Computer.

GD-1212-R

As Posted By: Hamms

Setup:

Windows 7 Home Premium x64

Intuos GD-0608-R (connected to serial port.)

Driver 6.10.6 (pro610-6_int.exe) (The one linked in Scherer's post. You can also get it by searching the European Wacom site; it won't appear in the Americas Wacom site.)

Here is the stream lined version of what I did.

1.  Before starting, download the international driver version 6.10.6. and uninstall all 'Wacom' and 'Tablet/Pen Tablet' entries using 'Control Panel>Uninstall a program'. Also, unplug any other tablets.

2.  Shut down the computer and connect the tablet to the serial port and plugged in tablet power supply.

3. Turn the computer back on. (At this point the tablet showed up in 'Device Manager' under 'Other devices' as 'WACOM GD'. Because the computer recognized the device, I didn't have to make any changes to the registry.)

4.  Right-click on the driver file and set compatibility mode to 'Windows 2000' and check the box for 'Run program as administrator'. Apply the changes. Install the driver and restart.

5. When the computer started up again the tablet was working, however, there was no 'Wacom Tablet Properties' in the start menu and I couldn't find it elsewhere. (If you have it, then congratulations, you're done and can ignore the rest of this post. If not...) Right click again on the Driver file and change compatibility mode to 'Windows Vista' (leave the 'Run program as administrator' box checked) and apply the changes. Double click on the file to install the drivers again and restart. This should give you the functionality of the Windows 2000 patch with the properties shortcut of the Windows Vista patch. (Be sure to install it using Windows 2000 compatibility mode first. When I tried installing it first with Vista compatibility mode, the tablet did not work.)

EDIT: This way just worked again on July 27th, 2011 on a GD-1218-R just an fyi
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 11:41:24 PM by SiliconeClone » Logged
zagx
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 11:51:54 AM »

Hi!

I'm reading some post about the installation of UD1212R on Win Vista and Win7 with a serial to usb adapter and I got working, the UD1212R works, but I can't open the wacom tablet properties, it says that can't detect a tablet or a compatible tablet (depens of the version installed)

I tried with the last wacom drivers, with the 6.05-7, 6.10.6, 493-3, and only got working combining the Vtablet drivers with the original of wacom, but I can't setup anything. I tried using compatibility mode (W2000, WXP) without success.

Can you help me? The windows device manager detects the wacom like a generic wacom, is normal?

I tried the Tirshea, but I can't get the same results.

Thank you for your help
Regards
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 12:13:07 PM »

Do you have the pressure working in Photoshop?

(if you are brave and you can solder, you could try to embark on using my little waxbee project to convert your tablet to USB)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 12:21:57 PM by bernard » Logged
zagx
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 12:42:45 PM »

Hi!,

No, I don't have pressure on photoshop.

I have no problem with the soldering iron, I made my own Wacom DB9 wire yesterday, because I bought the UD1212R without it.

Thank you!

Edited: Now I tried it on Mac OS 10.6.7, with Tablet Magic and the PL-2303 Adapter driver and works perfectly, I think my problem are the Win drivers.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 01:38:57 PM by zagx » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 03:00:10 AM »

The Win drivers -- you have to hack your way to make it work. It is not easy but I know at least one person that did it for Win7 64 bits. Many failed. It is tricky and certainly not supported by Wacom -- any new version of the Windows operating system could potentially "break" your tablet.

I have a theory about your Win drivers: To have the pressure you need to successfully "install" the Wacom WinTab drivers (not the driver that only drives MS Ink Services driver). MS Ink Services allows you to use a lot of stuff on Windows but not Adobe products. It works with Art Rage.  You could try the demo version of Art Rage just to see if you get the pressure in there.

Another question, is the cursor moving in "absolute" or "relative" mode?  (Relative mode is like a mouse: totally useless for drawing IMHO).  In absolute mode you can make the mouse "jump" by first putting the pen in one corner, then removing the pen, then putting back the pen but on the opposite corner.  In Absolute mode. the cursor will "appear" (or "jump") in the other corner of the screen. In relative mode, the cursor will not move (much) and will certainly not jump.

---------------

Alternatively, *if* you are willing to try to use your soldering skills, I can guide you all the way to convert it. I have a UD-1212-R myself. Note that this project is in its infancy and thus you will be the second one to do it (after me). I am convinced that it will work fine (unless you physically break or burn something). You will have a "USB tablet" and be able to use the latest Wacom drivers for any current and future operating system. If you are willing, we can talk about the different approaches to find the one that suits you best. (safest/coolest/cheapest/etc)

« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 03:05:03 AM by bernard » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: