test1
June 25, 2017, 08:10:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting a UD1212R (and other serial tablets) to work on Vista and Win7  (Read 39854 times)
zagx
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 09:54:32 AM »

Thank you Bernard,

At this moment the Tablet works fine in Mac OS, in Windows work in absolute mode without pressure, and can't setup the proportions of the screen in the tablet...

works fine in XP? Because I can try to install and make it work in winxp and later try to update to vista hoping that conserves the old functional driver... what do you think?

Thank you!
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 01:34:30 PM »

Because I can try to install and make it work in winxp and later try to update to vista hoping that conserves the old functional driver
man, I have no clue. I would not even attempt that (personally).
zagx
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 03:56:04 PM »

Ok!  I have some work to do! When I try it I'll publish my results, maybe works, it's a arduous task, but if works I will be very happy!

When it works fine in all the systems I'll make the "dirty job" (cut the plastic case, etc etc)

Thank you!
SiliconeClone

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2011, 04:19:10 PM »

Have you tried the method I posted that worked for me?

Try doing it from scratch. ie get rid of all drivers ect like it says in the post.

I have Win 7 Pro 64Bit and doing it that way worked beautifully for me.

Also if you are handy with the soldering iron I would give Bernard's USB Method a looksy, I have a teensy on order myself and after I crack mine open I might be swapping over. If for nothing other than updated drivers and greater compatibility (ie if I ever want to hook it to another computer without jumping through hoops)

What Windows OS are you using exactly? You state both Win 7 and Vista but never actually state which one you have. If you have Windows 7 and you have the harddrive room then try out WinXP Mode from MS. It is free Virtual Machine of Windows XP and all WinXP drivers and such will work in this sandbox. It is quite nice I have resorted to it for a few older pieces of  hardware I use from time to time that are no longer supported by current OSes.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 04:21:55 PM by SiliconeClone » Logged
ArtC
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 01:45:12 AM »

Hi Bernard I have tried all these methods here to attempt to get my UD 0608 R ArtzII working on Vista 64 bit, my tablet is recognized by windows and the closest I have come are the winxp drivers which actually cause the light on my usb to serial connection to blink as if there is information passing back and forth.....however when I restart the computer much to my dismay windows tell me that there is a tablet version mismatch and I am yankin my hair out here, I have tried permissions I have tried each and every work around I have found, all on this forum post here and more from other posts, i successfully got it working on my own before there was anything on the web about it in xp64 bit and thought I could do the same here.....but boy....this has been a tough one for me.....I know I am on the verge of it working....just not sure how to tell Vista to lay the heck off and let the driver load....any ideas?? Also while Vista is telling me its not working the light is blinking like it should just no input from the tablet......
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 01:52:15 AM »

I never even attempted to install any serial driver -- I built a hardware USB adapter and installed the USB drivers instead. Smiley   Maybe others can help
ArtC
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2011, 02:11:20 AM »

My apologies
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2011, 02:51:14 AM »

hey, don't apologize  Smiley   if I sounded harsh I apologize.  Like you are saying you seemed close. I am sure others that have more experience than me with this can give a hand to help.

The only help I can give is with converting it to a true USB tablet to be able to use the latest USB Wacom drivers. (A ~20$ hardware project which requires soldering). I never did the UD-0608-R ArtzII, but I am helping someone with a UD-1212-R which is quite close. I assume you will not want to go that route.

For the led, you only need to power it and it should lit "normally" (as you touch the pen on the tablet) -- no need to have the driver working.
ArtC
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2011, 03:03:08 AM »

Oh no you did not sound harsh by any means...I am just careful on forums...especially when new, I may not be opposed to soldering an interface on given the functionality, but the only thing I have soldered computer related was when a power connector went out on for my (4) 4 pin power connector electricity hawg...I mean quadro fx card.... and I successfully refluxed my PS3, granted there was no soldering involved but it did require heat on a delicate circuit board and it works better and cools better than ever, but i am definitely pretty adept and have two more UD 0608 Rs laying round....where do I get started? Now that I read your post again maybe I misspoke my usb to serial adapter is not only blinking as its recognizing the tablet as out should but also reads the input from the tablet yet the cursor isn't moving.....
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 05:48:40 AM by ArtC » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2011, 06:18:51 AM »

"Refluxed a PS3" -- oh! only that!   

*If* you want to convert to a USB (and solve all your Windows driver issues Smiley ) then start by opening the UD-0608-R case and take a picture of the controller section of the board (not sure if this is a separate board or the same as the sensor).  I assume you will see a MC145406 serial-level driver chip in there and a 5V regulator.  Please take close shots of these.  You can see a UD-1212-R controller board (and that mod) in the next sticky topic in the same forum section for reference: http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=1930.msg14217#msg14217

This mod requires a Teensy 2.0 board (16$US+shipping), a mini-usb plug cable (like you have for a Canon PowerShot camera and lots of other devices) and a few wires to solder (you can rip wires off old IDE/floppy flat connectors, Cat 5/6 network cable or whatever works for you).

---------

Your USB to serial converter is really just a virtual serial port connected through USB, it is not "converting" to USB, it is just "tunneling" the serial port data through USB to expose it as a virtual serial port (COMx) inside the computer.  I am not surprised that "the cursor is not moving".  Wacom does not support serial boards anymore and any new version of Windows will potentially make it more and more difficult to make it work.

Note that my UD-xxxx-R support is not totally complete (pen moves + pressure for now), but adding the eraser, the 2 side switches and tilt (if your board supports it) should not be too difficult.  Other features like support for the "puck" (mouse) is not in the plan (I see no use of a mouse on a tablet, it is really awkward to use, it does not behave like a real mouse) but stuff like menu strip might get in.
ArtC
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2011, 02:22:21 AM »

Hey Bernard....getting images hopefully this evening or the next and ordering my Teensy tomorrow......I found a tablet interface I thought would work for the time being called virual tablet interface and it broke photoshop very difficult to uninstall and zero support or forum options not to mention they want 75 dollars they say its a 30 day trial version but mine would not load up after being installed one day it was telling me I had to pay.....lol Teensy better way to go thank you so much be in touch soon!!!   Cheesy
ArtC
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2011, 05:49:44 AM »

I am moving my posts to the correct forum sorry for mucking up this forum with my q and a session if anyone is interested in how my conversion goes you can check out http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=1942.0 as I will be posting pictures and updating progress daily my teensy board is on the way and with the help of a wonderful admin here, bernard, i am going to attempt the smartest thing I can do with this tablet as these were by far very good tablets in their day and are still quite capable! Thanks for all the help here....
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 06:06:00 AM by bernard » Logged
zagx
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2011, 05:50:47 PM »

Hello Again!

Well, at this time I'm working on the enclosure of my "Zax'tiq"  Tongue

When it is done, I will try all your tutorials until I got working on
PC.

I will post my tablet photos and some improvements that I want for work more confortably.

Regards!
Markos
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2012, 10:58:05 PM »

hey, don't apologize  Smiley   if I sounded harsh I apologize.  Like you are saying you seemed close. I am sure others that have more experience than me with this can give a hand to help.

The only help I can give is with converting it to a true USB tablet to be able to use the latest USB Wacom drivers. (A ~20$ hardware project which requires soldering). I never did the UD-0608-R ArtzII, but I am helping someone with a UD-1212-R which is quite close. I assume you will not want to go that route.

For the led, you only need to power it and it should lit "normally" (as you touch the pen on the tablet) -- no need to have the driver working.
I want to try my UD1212R thru a serial-USB adapter. It is recognized in Windows but when I want to install the drivers it can't find him. It ask if the led is turned on, but it isnt. I guess it should be on? What can cause that it isn't on?
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2012, 03:10:54 AM »

For the LED (on the tablet), do you have the original cable and power adapter for your tablet? Powering the tablet is all you need to get the led to react.

like i said , if you are planning on using this on a recent version of windows it might be difficult to find drivers. A lot of people failed. Especially going through a USB-Serial adapter.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: