Bongofish
December 11, 2019, 02:59:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternative to Wacom? Suggested LCD to use?  (Read 5627 times)
nilum
New Poster

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2010, 05:45:05 AM »

I was wondering if anyone has used something other than a Wacom tablet in their builds.

I was looking at the Genius PenSketch 9x12 as an alternative. My reasoning is, even though there is a large gap in resolution (5080lpi vs 2000lpi) it probably won't make much of a difference on a 1024x768 display. Plus it is fairly cheap. I have found them for $68(≈£45) on ebay.

As far as LCD screens go, I would want something fairly bright with good contrast. I was considering the Planar PL1500M. It is a little expensive for a 15", but it has great specs. I've found it on ebay for $124(≈£82).

Anyway, I would love to hear your feedback.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 05:51:37 AM by nilum » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 04:53:46 PM »

In general people had very bad experience with non-wacom boards.  A lot of people tried many models.  Not sure if your model was tried.

The resolution of the digitizer is not really important IMHO, it makes almost no difference. The first wacom had very little resolution, yet they are perfect. Some people might want the higher resolution, but I found that those are very rare.  LCD Screen resolution makes a much bigger difference IMHO. It depend on the usage: 1024x768 for a 15 inch is fine for drawing -- but only if this is a second monitor, so you can have a high resolution on a big monitor for your main applications and OS.
nilum
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 08:05:11 PM »

Thanks bernard.

I haven't been able to find an LCD with a higher resolution than 1024x768.

I did find this LG laptop screen though.

Would it be possible to piece together everything else I need from that? Can I use any arbitrary lamp I want? What other parts do I need.

Thank you.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 03:53:56 AM »

You could try tabletmod.com -- it's a member from this forum that started selling stuff for diy cintiq.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: