Bongofish
November 16, 2019, 10:00:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does resolution really matter that much?  (Read 2388 times)
wolvenmoon
New Poster

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2010, 01:30:51 AM »

http://www.tabletmod.com/ is using 1280x800 resolution monitors on their mods, they're saying resolution doesn't matter that much. I'm not sure what to think. Since my primary usage of my DIY cintiq will be CGI and CGI related - where I will be working some fairly high resolution textures - I'm uncertain of if a lower resolution panel will have the detail I want/need.

It's also only $50 more to get a 1920x1200 panel on ebay than it is a 1280x800 http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=1920x1200+15.4&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=. However I'm having trouble finding controllers for that resolution...
cellofaan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 09:30:54 AM »

To me, resolution does matter a lot, but after a certain threshold, it doesn't make much difference. Anything above 1680x1050 works for me as a primary screen.
The difference is not so much in the detail, but the size of the working area. At lower resolutions, all the menus and toolbars just take up too much space to feel comfortable.
If you're willing to spend the extra 50 bucks, I would certainly go for it.
DIY-beamer.com also sells controllers (and monitors by the way). They aren't exactly cheap, but they're very friendly and helpful.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 08:45:26 AM »

For pure "art pencil-style" drawing and having the Cintiq as a second monitor, 1024x768 is probably just fine.

But for a lot of other usages, and especially for using it as a primary monitor, probably not so cool.

For the heck of it, try to reduce your current screen to something close to what you would "get". (Of course it might get a bit blurry because its not the native resolution) but look at the space taken by the menus and panes, palettes, in the software you plan to use with it -- to see if it suits you.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: