Bongofish
December 06, 2019, 02:21:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Building a "Mini" Cintique. Oh, and I'm a newbie.  (Read 8640 times)
DeanmodPC
New Poster

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2010, 07:18:40 AM »

Alright, I think it's worth mentioning that I haven't done a mod before with LCD as part of it.

To be clear, this is a two part question

First off, I had a portable DVD player that puked on me because one of its ribbon cables ripped. There is still a fully intact 30 pin ribbon cable coming off of it as well as the backlighting cables that run together in that plastic insert. I have already cracked open the casing and gotten the screen apart, and then separated the light and the actual screen, careful to keep the thin plastic inserts that apparently are needed to keep the screen functioning. My question  numero uno, is: can I use the LCD controller kit from Tabletmod.com alongside my small bamboo tablet to get a mini mini cintique?

My second question is, if the first one doesn't work out, I'd like to get the "Bamboo Fun" off of eBay.

coupled with this screen

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-10-1-LCD-SCREEN-HP-MINI-110-SERIES-NETBOOK-/190439757397?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c57181655#ht_1867wt_911

Now, my second question is: Will this work?

cellofaan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 11:02:38 AM »

Welcome!

You're unlikely to be able to use the lvds controller from tabletmod, as they are programmed for screens with specific specs. Your screen is different, so it probably won't work.
The same applies for the ebay screen, you'll need an lvds controller kit for it.

If you're considering buying stuff from tabletmod anyway, you could choose to buy the 15.4" lcd panel, coupled with the lcd-controller kit that they have. Those should be compatible.
DeanmodPC
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 06:21:10 PM »

Alright, but, the reason I'm trying to stick with small screens is because although the giant screens are somewhat cheap in price, the three hundred dollar+ tablets needed to cover that screen area, are not.

Right now, I'd really like to know if I can make that 10 inch screen work. So really, I need someone to suggest an LVDS controller for it. Since then I could just get a medium Intuos and be fairly happy with the rig.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 12:54:26 AM by DeanmodPC » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 01:46:46 AM »

I did not check the LCDs you are suggesting. Some smaller screens (often found in netbook like some of the Asus eee ones) does not have a LVDS interface but an (older) TTL interface (which works well when the number of pixels to drive is lower and tend to lower the overall cost since it can directly connect to an internal MCU without any external drivers).

First thing to do is... read that wiki page: Smiley   (if not done already)

http://wiki.bongofish.co.uk/doku.php?id=bongofish:lvdsvendors

Essentially: get the LCD brand and model number and start emailing the LVDS providers about it (and tell us about your progression).
DeanmodPC
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 06:04:44 AM »

Thank you very much Bernard. I've sent an email to NJYTouch containing the eBay link that I gave in the original forum post. We'll see what they have to say.

But can anyone help me on the bamboo aspect? Does the bamboo have the range of the pen to go through this screen? I know that the intuos seems to work fine. But can that carry over to the bamboo's specs?

Or...Should I just spring for the extra fifty bucks for the medium Intuos.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 06:21:45 AM by DeanmodPC » Logged
DeanmodPC
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 11:15:27 PM »

Good news, everyone!

Lez Wright shot me an email and we worked it out

If I'm right. To make the DIY tablet I need

Intuos4 medium
LTN106W2 screen
LVDS cables for the screen

and optional enclosure.

They're going to start selling that screen soon, and the LVDS cable is already hosted. So as far as I'm concerned, I just have to buy it piece by piece until I'm golden!
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 03:06:29 AM »

(Sidenote: lez == tabletmod.com)
DeanmodPC
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 03:07:28 AM »

Heh, yeah, I got that after a little bit.  Grin
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 06:46:14 PM »

I just have to buy it piece by piece

How much would you expect this to cost in the end?
DeanmodPC
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 10:27:44 PM »

Intuos 4 medium- $246.95 (Amazon)

Screen- Unknown as of this post, will update later once Lex opens it in the store. ~approx. $75

LCD controller kit- $70.00 (Tabletmod)

Optional enclosure- Unknown as of this post, will update later once Lex opens it in the store ~approx. $200

So all and all,

$390~$590
DeanmodPC
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 12:06:47 AM »

Hokay, another update that I thought people should be aware of; Tabletmod.com just launched a 10.1in "kit" that includes their special casing, the 10.6 inch screen, and controller kit for the screen. All for $379.00.

Buuut, I only want the screen and the controller from Tabletmod, since I don't feel like shelling out another $180 for a fancy casing.
DeanmodPC
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 10:46:05 PM »

UPDATE: As of now, I decided to go with the Bamboo fun as well as a 10.6 inch screen. Crazy combination, you say? Indeed.

Althought, I'm fairly confident that I can use a program called Powerstrip to make a custom resolution suitable for such a case.

At first, I was nervous whether or not the tablet would read through the screen, because it seems people have only accomplished this via an Intuos tablet. In the end, the pen had a good 3 mm left between the top of the tablet screen that it was able to read from. Hopefully, I'll be able to stick a bit of protective plastic between there when it's all said and done and I'm rockin'. (See picture below)

(As of now, I'm still waiting on the LVDS controller for NJYTouch. The screen that the controller is programmed for is the Samsung 10.6" WXGA Matte LCD Screen LTN106W1-L01 )
        (Last picture tries to show reading distance)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 11:11:39 PM by DeanmodPC » Logged
DeanmodPC
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 03:09:51 AM »

Okay, for this one I need HELP.

I've gotten the LVDS controller. Went to get all said and done and I have huge jitter. And when I turn the screen on, the connection from the pen to the tablet drops entirely. Sometimes. Suggestions? ...please?
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 03:14:35 AM »

Show us a picture from the "back" of the LCD.  Is there any metal in there?  Is there any circuit boards?  Those need to be removed.

DeanmodPC
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 03:16:53 AM »

There is some metal. And only one circuit board that connects to the ribbons that lead to the actual LCD.

I'm doubtful about the metal screwing anything up though because there is only about a quarter of an inch of metal that wraps around the border of the back.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: