Bongofish
December 13, 2019, 01:38:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Building a "Mini" Cintique. Oh, and I'm a newbie.  (Read 8658 times)
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 04:26:08 AM »

I assumed you did not open the bamboo case (is it under warranty?) -- you could gain a few millimeters by removing the case.  If you decide to open it, take a few photos of the interior.

I am not sure I understand -- your previous post mentions that you had a 3mm reading height over the screen (unplugged) -- Do you have jitter when the screen in off or not? 

- Have you tried without the backlight plugged in?
- If this is only when the screen is on (without the backlight), try driving the screen at different frequencies (50Hz or 70Hz instead of 60Hz for example). Try with powerstrip if windows does not give you the option.
- Does the pen "still" connect in some areas of the screen, or really, nowhere?

The circuit at the back of the lcd is normally not to be left there. You have to "unfold it" (very delicate operation that can break the LCD).  But if you say the pen does not work nowhere, then the circuit board is not the main problem.   (send us a picture of the back of the LCD).
DeanmodPC
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 04:33:28 AM »

I assumed you did not open the bamboo case (is it under warranty?)

Yeah, it's under warranty. I'm definitely not taking the tablet apart, even if worse comes to worse.

am not sure I understand -- your previous post mentions that you had a 3mm reading height over the screen (unplugged) -- Do you have jitter when the screen in off or not?  

No jitter when it's off, no. Reads perfectly fine.

When the screen is off I'm fine, even with the small amount of "bouncing" height that the unfolded ribbon cable gives (The screen can't be all the way flush with the tablet because the ribbon props it up a little. And I don't want to force it down in fear of breaking it) Just using the power button on the screen, if I turn it off I'm fine. Connection throughout the screen. But when I turn it on, I have to fenaggle it to keep a connection between the pen and the tablet.

I'll try shifting the frequencies of it and see if I have any luck.

EDIT: With the backlight unplugged and the circuit board lifted off of the surface of the tablet (it doesn't seem to want to pick up when it's touching. Weird.) I get only jitter. A large amount, but at least I have a connection. I'm still screwing around with the refresh rates. This little display I have going is running 75mHz refresh rate at the setting it came at.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 05:43:11 AM by DeanmodPC » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 04:10:39 PM »

What if you put the LCD in different position over the bamboo?  like only over the lower part -- does it help?   Also try to flip it around completely. May sound weird, but RF *is* weird at best.

- I am pretty sure the circuit board will need to be unfolded.  After that, shielding and proper grounding maybe.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 04:15:25 PM by bernard » Logged
DeanmodPC
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 12:15:38 AM »

I think there may be some kind of weird direct tablet wonkiness going on here too. Because, even if I put the screen on part of the tablet and touch the pen to where there is no screen but active tablet area, as long as the circuit board is touching the tablet the pen won't pick up at all, any thoughts?

And as far as when I flip the display around, something even weirder happens. Clicking anywhere on the screen won't work. But, when I click off of the screen and onto the tablet, and if the screen is touching the surface of the tablet, the tablet will think I'm pressing the pen down against the tablet continually. (I know this because of the changing LED on the tablet) What's going on here..?

bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 05:40:03 AM »

If you put a sheet of paper between the tablet and the circuit (and let the circuit sit on the paper), does it make a difference?

The circuit is definitely making interference and I would try to unfold it and continue trying things (I know unfolding is risky for the LCD, but you seem essentially stuck here).
DeanmodPC
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 07:03:03 AM »

The circuit is definitely making interference and I would try to unfold it and continue trying things (I know unfolding is risky for the LCD, but you seem essentially stuck here).

Yeah, I'm pretty darn stuck.

And I've had a piece of printer paper between the tablet and the screen the whole time, in order to protect the surface of the tablet from scuffing.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: