Bongofish
August 20, 2018, 05:50:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: New Build (with pictures) ### Digitizer II (UD1212-R) + Acer 15'' Laptop ###  (Read 10190 times)
Jodas
New Poster

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2010, 08:39:24 PM »

Hi, to all.

old 15'' Acer extensa laptop + old wacom UD1212-R = awsome

what do you think? how hard is this build?

some pictures

the plan:

wacom board:

tft measure:

Questions:
do i need a spezial serial-usb-adapter?
any ideas for the power supply? (i want an real working laptop with cintiq-feature!)
let me hear your oppinion.

more coming soon in building logs...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 01:36:15 AM by Jodas » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 06:19:55 AM »

real working laptop -- you mean, portable?  Because the screen, once unfolded probably won't fit back into the laptop case and worse, you'd have to fit the wacom sensor board in there.  If you think that it works "mechanically" for you, then that's good!   For the power supply, the UD-1212-R probably requires 12 volts (if I remember correctly), you might be able to tap directly onto the laptop input supply if there is enough current in there.

random thoughts here:
It is very possible that with a little electronic soldering and luck, you can get away with just 5 volt and the sparkfun FTDI breakout board (USB-serial converter) that UnderSampled used.  Does the ACER has a free USB port that you can use? If not you need to add a USB hub on top.  I say all this because I know the board controller a little (did the Wacom Science thread) and if I recall correctly, the 12v is only present to get RS-232-valid signals --  and convert that to 5v afterwards.  I believe the board can be powered with 5 volt if tapped at the right spot. (would have to look again to be sure).
Jodas
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 12:33:54 PM »

at first: thanks vor reply!

the wacom board is huge. i want to use parts of it for the case. i know, it will be hard work.

i scribble my idea:

my asus is broken but asus laptops are cheap. -> i have to buy a new one at ebay.
i use the old motherboard to learn soldering an messure the parts.
the tft is working, maybe i can use it with the ebay-asus.

what can i do for shilding the wacom-board from the laptop?

bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 12:36:19 PM »

I do not understand your shielding question.  Shielding it from what exactly?
Jodas
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 02:54:15 PM »

i think electromagnetism. i read about jitter and drops. i don´t want that Smiley
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 03:36:06 PM »

Smiley yes. 

Typically you want to shield stuff around the Wacom to minimize the interference between the pen and the sensor (remember, there is a LCD in between!!). That is why you unfolded the LCD in the first place. Metal is like a RF wall thus anything metal on the LCD interfere. Little interference might be okay and have no visual impact; Wacom tries to compensate a little (at least they say so, we are not in a Star Trek episode unfortunately).

The steps are as follow: you first try it without any shielding. If it works, you are done!

---

Note: In your picture, the LCD seems to be upside down.

--

Before going any further I would urge you to get the parts to try it. Sometimes the jitter is so bad that a build won't go. And be very careful with manipulating the unfolded LCD component -- this breaks very very easily, do not fold/unfold too often.

What is the brand and model number of your "ACER TFT"? -- I do not recall Acer manufacturing LCD Panels (yes they do monitors and laptops, but not the actual internal LCD component).  At the same time tell us what is the native screen resolution -- 1024x768 ?

Jodas
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 04:10:21 PM »

its a quality product:

XGA (1024 x 768 Pixel), 15''
chi mei optoelectronics (made in taiwan)
LCD-PANEL-15-0-N150X3-L07

it seems to be a standard asus-tft.

in the next days i want to try out my wacom. searching drivers and put all the things together.
AND i have to learn to solder Smiley

thanks for your hints.
Jodas
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 12:53:22 AM »

DATA:
which serial-usb-adapter should i use?
can i solder cables directly to the usb port or is an adapter essential?

POWER:
where can i solder the usb+5V contact and the ground?
what for is the cn102 port?

pin1 = +5 V (500-900 mA), pin4 = ground

OTHER QUESTIONS:
my monitor is not big enought to cover the whole wacom.
is it possible to calibrating it -> disable parts of the board?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 01:55:51 AM by Jodas » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 06:35:48 AM »

I have exactly the same board. If I recall correctly, the 5v regulator is at the top (IC102).

That CN102 connector is indeed linked to the power -- I vaguely remember it is connected to that regulator. But not sure on which "side".  Do you have a multimeter?  This would be good to test the stuff.

I will have to check my board again, my memory fails.  Maybe I wrote something in the Wacom Science thread about it, but certainly not where to apply 5v. Also we have to somehow compute if we have enough amperes coming from the USB. I can probably measure how much the board is pulling.

*if* you use the FTDI chip approach with the USB direct 5v supply, then that is your USB-serial adapter.

If powering that way does not work, then you have to get a "normal" usb-serial adapter.  Someone bought one recently (last 2 months) that works fine.  Search the forum.

Jodas
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 12:54:16 PM »

Do you have a multimeter?
not yet, but i think a friend of mine

I can probably measure how much the board is pulling.
that would be nice.

Someone bought one recently (last 2 months) that works fine.  Search the forum.
i´ve done that, but i will check again.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 03:28:56 PM by Jodas » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 02:54:14 PM »

you can try to use google search too.  I do not know what happens with the search, sometimes ones works sometimes it's the other works better. Weird stuff.  You can also screen the "last posts" (and do a page find of USB or Serial). 

I think we should build a wiki page with adapters that are known to work.
Jodas
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 07:54:16 PM »

my monitor is not big enought to cover the whole wacom.
is it possible to calibrating it -> disable parts of the board?

checked my wacom and the drivers today. its posible to use a smaler area (15'' monitor). -> cool driver
10-12mm for monitor assembly. -> cool hardware

today i bought 2mm plexiglass and searched ebay for new laptop parts.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 07:56:54 PM by Jodas » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 08:03:17 PM »

yes, sorry, I missed that question -- you can easily reduce the active area on a Wacom, but the reverse is much more difficult to achieve (bigger screen than the wacom).

Jodas --> cool dude   Smiley
Jodas
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 12:58:04 AM »

sorry, i can't find anything to working adapters.
some are working others not. argh...

i found some at my local electronic dealer:
http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/971791/DIGITUS-USB-20-SERIELL-ADAPTER (Chip: FTDI / FT232RL.)
http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/972543/USB-SERIELL-ADAPTER (Chip: unknown)

which one will work?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 05:32:59 PM by Jodas » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 06:41:14 AM »

I would use the FTDI-based chip. But it is not guaranteed since it could have been configured with a buffer I think. (One good thing is that it might be possible to reconfigure with the FTDI utilities.)

Note that off the shelf usb-serial adapters won't provide you the 5v USB power (unlike a FTDI chip breakout board http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=718 - that undersampled used).

On top of that, since off-the-shelf uses real RS-232 signals, you will most likely need to feed 12v to the wacom board. (the 5V injection hack will probably not work since 12v is required to generate the RS-232 signals level).

Onto another note, for the 5v injection hack to work, you will need to also find solder points for a few serial signals. These would be "behind" the serial driver chip. You even might have to unsolder that chip or find a way to disconnect a few traces. So lots of "challenges" to meet here. This is not counting the fact that the wacom should not pull more than what the USB can give you. Do you have enough USB connections? If not, you will need to also install a USB hub inside.

Finding a 12v source and not modify the wacom board is "easier" electronically: but then you have the portability issue, how to get that power source from running on the laptop battery? Not clear. On that note, I saw something that generates a 18v 100mA  http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=460  Not perfect since you might need 12v (and still not sure about how much mA).

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: