Bongofish
November 16, 2019, 10:02:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting a portable 6x8 Intuos 3 build (information gathering stage)  (Read 27837 times)
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2010, 05:23:16 AM »

hey jpanichella -- do you think you could find back that information from NJYTouch about them not supporting something?  I also happen to have a HP tablet screen+digitizer -- I was hoping to find a driver for it and it would serve as a warning for others to avoid buying those.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 06:49:23 AM by bernard » Logged
jpanichella

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2010, 03:45:25 PM »

HT10X21-311

That's the panel that doesn't work well with their controllers. They've said they tried several times.

I decided to go ahead and order the panel. Having a properly working panel and controller will save me a ton of headaches down the road if I have jitter problems.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2010, 04:59:28 PM »

yipes!   Shocked I have HT10X21-101  --  Sounds quite close to me...  I think I will fire them an email too...

EDIT: I tried comparing the datasheets -- and the only difference I have found (so far) is the backlight (CCFL) connector. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 07:50:44 AM by bernard » Logged
jpanichella

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 06:47:04 PM »

Okay, so I'm about ready to place my order and I have:

The LCD
The Controller (ready to go)
Power Adapter

Is there anything else I should need? I don't think so but I figured I'd better ask.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 07:00:53 PM »

mmm...  DVI or RGB cable if you don't have that already.

jpanichella

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 09:15:38 PM »

Got one ready. Well, time to order!
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 09:19:36 PM »

So, are you getting a LCD with a resolution of 800x600 or is it higher than that?  You are an industrial design student -- for what purpose did you want to have a screen tablet anyway?
jpanichella

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 11:02:41 PM »

I'm getting a the 800x600 res screen. Finding a higher resolution screen and a controller that works with it has been a headache.

As an industrial design student we spend A LOT of time sketching. At work I have a 21" Cintiq that I love using. I had a regular old tablet but never got comfortable with the disconnect between screen and pen. I absolutely never use the tablet as is, so I figured I'd give this a try.
jpanichella

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2010, 07:11:08 PM »

I just ordered it, they sent me this picture of it working all together.

Here's the back.

jpanichella

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2010, 06:19:09 PM »

Based upon these pictures I assume I'm going to have to do some work to the screen. I'll have to remove that PCB at the bottom and decase the whole thing, right?
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2010, 06:47:22 PM »

Probably no need to dismantle the whole LCD Panel.  It appears that the PCB is not holding with a lot of stuff, it should be easy to "unfold".  The little metal plate on the other side might have to go or be cut a little if it is required for the CCFL.  But before doing any LCD modifications, you have to try it first.  If it *works* then, don't touch anything.  Don't fix what ain't broken.
jpanichella

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2010, 07:34:07 PM »

Good News!
jpanichella

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2010, 10:31:55 PM »

My panel arrived but I'm away from home right now so I can't test it. I am very happy to say that NJYTouch has been a fantastic group of people to do business with. Their customer service was helpful and patient. They even emailed me to make sure the panel worked okay after they saw it was delivered.

Thumbs up for those guys, they deserve it.
jpanichella

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2010, 06:51:29 PM »

So I finally got a chance to try out the panel and it interfaces with my computer fine. I put it over the tablet and it followed the cursor with minimal jitter. There are parts of the screen where the mouse just stops though. The screen is fairly thick too, I might need to take off the metal casing. I'll snap some pictures of the setup and maybe you guys can help me determine where to go from here.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2010, 11:48:45 PM »

From the picture, the panel does not look that thick (5-6 mm maybe? -- difficult to tell) which would be pretty standard for a LCD Panel + side-lit CCFL backlight.  Typically, people have been "unfolding" the circuit board and stripping off the metal (or a piece of it).  But then only if required.

Which side do you have jitter?  Try to move things around to determine what is causing the jittery. (nearby wires, board, LCD position over tablet).  Both the metal which covers the CCFL lamp and the PCB large flexible "folded" connectors are fragile. Manipulate with great care they are fragile and very difficult (if even possible) to fix.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 12:15:06 AM by bernard » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: