test1
September 19, 2017, 09:40:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: tablet size vs monitor size.  (Read 39690 times)
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 09:01:28 AM »

Tablets cannot be cut.
As far as we know, having a power supply anywhere near the sensor will cause interference.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2007, 01:55:57 PM »

so, what are you talking about cutting off a peice of the sensor?

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2007, 01:59:47 PM »

wha??? Huh

Switz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2007, 02:53:08 AM »

Those lovely people at Wacom have given us perfect lines to cut the sides to, moulded into the casing. The next question is where you should mount the screen vertically.  I reckon go as close to the bottom of the case as you can while fitting everything in, and here's why:

The Wacom drivers allow you to section up the pad, and apply the different sections to different areas of windows desktop.  Now of course the biggest chunk of pad will map 1:1 to the LCD, BUT if you have a 3" strip of pad unused at the top you can map that onto your other screen. So you can keep photoshop menus on your main screen, leaving your pad free for just the main toolbar and the drawing.

Does that make sense?

That.

Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2007, 09:24:03 AM »

Ah, OK.

The sensor stays in one piece, but the Wacom drivers allow you to map different areas for various tasks.  So for instance if you are running two monitors you can assign part of the tablet to each screen. You can even reserve areas to use as extra buttons or touch strips apparently, though I've never tried it.

Switz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2007, 01:26:43 PM »

oh, I get it, thats cool

NoValidTitle
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2007, 03:31:08 PM »

I know you said the drivers allow you to section off a portion of the pad and map it somewhere else... how fine can you go down on that? I'm looking at doing a 22" (still looking at displays and open for suggestions) with a 12x19 pad. Using the info from this post a 22" widescreen LCD is 11.7 x 18.7 leaving 0.3" on a top and side, can you tweak that far down as to map 0.3 inches of the sensor? I'm not worried about losing that 0.3" but wouldn't that throw off the alignment if you DON'T remap the extra because it would be using 19" of pad for a 18.7" area?
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2007, 09:26:40 PM »

Using a slightly smaller screen on a bigger pad is easy and it tweakable down to individual counts, so that's a tiny fraction of an inch.

The drivers have a diagnostic mode where you can get a position readout live from the tablet, so that's the best way to callibrate it.

Lizman
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2009, 09:32:29 PM »

Hello!
I has a little Question.
Which Monitor Size ist the best for an Intuos3 A5 Wide (or normal A5)?

Skream

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2009, 12:20:09 AM »

Hello!
I has a little Question.
Which Monitor Size ist the best for an Intuos3 A5 Wide (or normal A5)?

I'd say 10"
Lapoz78
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2009, 11:00:05 PM »

Is there a way to use a monitor that is wider and taller then the tablet, i mean by only using part of the monitor? like using only the central portion of a 19" with an A4 intuos 3?
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2009, 04:27:16 AM »

I am not sure if you ask about how to only use a portion of the LCD monitor (as in: the rest will be black, like there was no LCD there) -- or have the tablet active area only affect a portion of the monitor?

For restricting the display of an LCD:

I am not sure how to do that. There might be tricks to do it -- probably the simplest is to have a graphics card that supports low resolution "at the native resolution" -- I mean -- render a smaller desktop image only in the middle of the LCD. You would have to be "lucky" and find a resolution that would output something close to your Wacom active area.

For having the active area only affect a portion of the monitor image:

You can.  Some have done it I believe, but it is not the common setup.

The drivers for the more recent Wacoms have less "features" (you cannot do multiple mapping on the same monitor - which can be used to map the "edges" with non 1:1 mapping to be able to cover the entire screen for your case).   You can search the forum to get the full details on which model supports which features. Search for the keyword "1:1" or "mapping".

So you won't be able to cover the whole screen with your pen with an Intuos 3 I believe. It may become a bit annoying constantly switching to your mouse (or some other input device) to access the menus or other parts of the screen.  If you already have a Wacom tablet, try it now to see if you can live with that limitation. 

Alternatively: If you can work with dual screen, you might get away by putting all the menus on the other screen and still map that screen to some other portion of your tablet (or use another, smaller tablet that is compatible with your Intuos 3 pen) -- That might be a very productive setup in the end. There is also a "monitor switcher or toggler" (can't remember the name) thingy which I am not sure what it does -- Drew knows about it and there is some talk about it in the forum -- maybe search for "multiple monitors" or "dual monitors".

Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2009, 01:32:47 PM »

With the switching monitors thing: With earlier there is a stand-alone programme you can run that flips the cursor between monitors either on a keypress or on ramming the dge of the screen.  I believe later Wacom drivers have that sort of thing built in.

Trollolle
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2009, 12:09:59 AM »

It will all come down to the pricing if they get that right there will be no stopping it.

Children look at the bunch of companies that make peripherals for apple products there will be some kind of either bluetooth or wireless flashy keyboard made for and stands as well even though that would defeat the object of a tablet.
cellofaan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2009, 09:24:31 AM »

For restricting the display of an LCD:

I am not sure how to do that. There might be tricks to do it -- probably the simplest is to have a graphics card that supports low resolution "at the native resolution" -- I mean -- render a smaller desktop image only in the middle of the LCD. You would have to be "lucky" and find a resolution that would output something close to your Wacom active area.

Someone mentioned NVKeystone once.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/feature_nvkeystone.html
It looks like you can alter the size and shape of the second monitor (they show a beamer, but it might work on a regular monitor as well?)
I don't have an nvidia card, so I can't test it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: