test1
April 25, 2017, 05:22:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: tablet size vs monitor size.  (Read 37401 times)
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2009, 12:57:05 AM »

I'm slightly baffled by that, doesn't every projector in the world already have that built in?

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
cellofaan

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2009, 10:26:14 AM »

The more expensive ones do, but the cheaper beamers mostly have only vertical keystone correction.
Chocochan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2011, 03:05:44 PM »

Hello!
I has a little Question.
Which Monitor Size ist the best for an Intuos3 A5 Wide (or normal A5)?

I'm having a similar issue. I'm currently waiting for a Wacom Intuos 3 6x8 tablet from the US, but finding a LCD screen that fits exactly to the tablet's active area is killing me. It's hard to find technical data on the size of the actual viewing area and the resolutions are so low for most 10" screens it's not worth trying. I had apparently found a source for the screen used in the Asus Eee Pad Transformer tablet (10.1", IPS, LED backlit, 1280 x 800), but the company won't sell one to me unless I give them the part number, which I don't have as I don't own the tablet.

I told them what I wanted it for and that I wasn't trying to replace anything, I JUST wanted the screen, but they seem to think that Wacoms are like tablet PCs and have motherboards that can be blown up and/or incompatible with and that the screen won't fit into the chassis and whatever. The funny thing is, it's only for screens that are "tablet based" they have this issue with. Any basic low res laptop screen they would sell to me no problem. So, anyone know of a perfect LED backlit screen that fits a 6x8 active area perfectly, but doesn't look like crap and will still allow me to use Sketchbook Pro (I think the minimum is 1024 x768, but higher would be nicer!)?
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2011, 03:28:30 PM »

Those EEE asus screens are not always the easiest to "drive" -- especially the LED ones.  It is difficult to find a driver to turn it into a monitor. It may not be true for all of them, but if the interface is TTL, the choice of driver boards go down.  I believe nyjtouch has some. 

You could try to email them and maybe even ask for a LCD Panel they could recommend (or even sell) of your required size.  http://wiki.bongofish.co.uk/doku.php?id=bongofish:lvdsvendors 
Chocochan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2011, 03:50:07 PM »

I was prepared to take that risk as the screen was so nice. An IPS panel would've been so cool (even if it is small). I was thinking of maybe looking to see if there were any Wacom "Penabled" tablet PCs that were as small as 10" and nabbing a screen off an old one just to see if the jittering issue could be avoided. But I have a feeling they start from 12" upwards...

I'll try njytouch and see what they say. But I doubt I'll find anything decent. I suppose I could live with a low resolution, but I don't think I could go with CCFL. LED would mean a much lighter, slimmer tablet that wouldn't run so hot. I was already working ondesigning a nice slim case to put everything in that I was going to cast in resin.

Edit: Just sent them an eBay message. Hopefully they can help me satisfy my Cintiq desire...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 04:05:51 PM by Chocochan » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2011, 04:39:51 PM »

Most laptop CCFL LCD Panels are 5-6 mm in thickness. What type of thickness are you looking for?

Is "LED" that much lighter?  Not so sure, a CCFL tube is quite light (especially to drive 10 inches screens)! I think most of the weight is in the LCD matrix itself. Maybe the inverter board (to drive the CCFL) could make the difference in total case size. You know that when we talk about LED we really mean "LCD-with-a-LED-backlight".  Not truly a "LED-display". right?

One of the biggest advantage I can see with LED is the lower power consumption (heat). And "frequency-wise" there might be advantages for the "jitter" (but that is yet to be proven).

Tip: Before you buy a LCD Panel (that you know the brand & model number) you should check with the LVDS vendors to see if they can support it. If not, it will be a waste of time/money. (unless you want to get into building your own or if you get away with selling it at a higher price.)

If you get no response: We have Christina's email in the wiki page.

Oh!  and I forgot to say "Welcome Chocochan!"
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2011, 05:20:19 PM »

6x8 is 4:3 (3:4) ratio.  So not widescreen.   Most recent laptops and tablets are widescreen nowadays 16:9 (or 16:10).  The older ones tend to be of lower resolution.

1024x768 is 4:3, 1280x800 is 16:10 (widescreen)

If you do the math and compute the diagonal size of 6x8 inches. The Intuos3 is, I believe, exactly 6.0 by 8.0 inches -- So this makes sqrt(6x6+8x8) = 10.0 inches, 4:3 ratio screen. Not 10.1  - Normally you want a tablet that is either the same size or bigger than the screen else you will have unreachable screen areas.  The native resolution tells you about the ratio and you can thus compute the width and height from the diagonal size with good-enough precision to match against the tablet.  If the screen is slightly bigger, you could even convert to pixels and know how much "pixels" will be "unreachable" on each side (or top/bottom).  Maybe you can live with 1 or 2 unreachable pixels on each side.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 05:28:16 AM by bernard » Logged
Chocochan

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2011, 05:42:59 PM »

6x8 is 4:3 (3:4) ratio.  So not widescreen.   Most recent laptops and tablets are widescreen nowadays 16:9 (or 16:10).  The older ones tend to be of lower resolution.

1024x768 is 4:3, 1280x800 is 16:10 (widescreen)

If you do the math and compute the vertical size of 6x8 inches. The Intuos3 is, I believe, exactly 6.0 by 8.0 inches -- So this makes sqrt(6x6+8x8) = 10.0 inches, 4:3 ratio screen. Not 10.1  - Normally you want a tablet that is either the same size or bigger than the screen else you will have unreachable screen areas.  The native resolution tells you about the ratio and you can thus compute the width and height from the diagonal size with good-enough precision to match against the tablet.  If the screen is slightly bigger, you could even convert to pixels and know how much "pixels" will be "unreachable" on each side (or top/bottom).  Maybe you can live with 1 or 2 unreachable pixels on each side.

Thanks for the welcome Bernard! Grin Yeah, I realised that and found it was about 2.54mm too large. I have seen other 10" laptop screens (yes, I'm just going to settle for one as long as it fits!), but sometimes they seem to differ very marginally in size depending on the manufacturer. The only reason I leaned towards 10.1" was because I would be able to get a slightly higher resolution and the screen's viewable area would not be too large. I intend to build one good DIY Cintiq and stay with it, so I'm looking for best I can afford and work with now. I've come across this screen sold by one of the LVDS controller sellers:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Toshiba-10-0-inch-LCD-Panel-LTM10C353-/110689372500?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c599c954#ht_2644wt_905

It says 10.0" but the resolution is 1280 x 600. I don't know what to believe as it's from a VERY old Toshiba laptop and there isn't much information on the net. I've asked to get the viewable area measured. IF it fits, I'm getting it as long as it's still about. As long as it's exactly 10" it should be OK, right?

Is "LED" that much lighter?  Not so sure, a CCFL tube is quite light (especially to drive 10 inches screens)! I think most of the weight is in the LCD matrix itself. Maybe the inverter board (to drive the CCFL) could make the difference in total case size. You know that when we talk about LED we really mean "LCD-with-a-LED-backlight".  Not truly a "LED-display". right?

Yeah, I was thinking of the inverter board really. Not having to mess about with that would be nice. And yes Bernard, I know what is meant by LED in the screen sense, I've built/repaired a few items (namely Nintendo handhelds and PCs), so I'm not THAT clueless!  Roll Eyes Oh! That reminds me, maybe this has been mentioned on the forums, and maybe it hasn't but I came across this for those who would REALLY like LED backlighting:

http://lcdparts.net/howto/LEDXB.aspx

It looks really easy to do and may be a good way of cutting down on the jitters or improving a mostly jitter-free build with better lighting. The have an online store and the prices aren't has high as I thought they would be for the whole kit. Check it out!  Wink
Chocochan

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2011, 11:12:34 PM »

That screen's a no go. Sad Too wide one way and too small the other way. The laptop was so ancient that I thought it would be what I after. Looking for something else and also researching something interesting. Lips Sealed I won't say much more than that. The 6 x 8 screen search continues!
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2011, 12:12:53 AM »

Sorry chocochan for assuming that you might not know what a LED display is. (A lot of the people selling this stuff does not even know Huh) -- they "think" the LCD technology is replaced by a LED technology.

Note that I might tell you stuff that you know or that I already told you and I am sorry in advance, there are so many people and widely varying level of knowledge in here. We try to help them all, I prefer to say more than less information.

bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2011, 05:36:50 AM »

just realized that Toshiba  board is being sold by luly -- one of our lvds supplier.  I just went to her store now, she have more stuff including DVI boards that she actually sells with the programmer. Cool stuff!   
Chocochan

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2011, 10:31:24 AM »

Sorry chocochan for assuming that you might not know what a LED display is. (A lot of the people selling this stuff does not even know Huh) -- they "think" the LCD technology is replaced by a LED technology.

Note that I might tell you stuff that you know or that I already told you and I am sorry in advance, there are so many people and widely varying level of knowledge in here. We try to help them all, I prefer to say more than less information.

Please don't apologise, it's not as if you can read minds or something! Cheesy I guess I'm kinda edgy as because I'm female, people think "what does she know about electronics?" Sure, I'm pretty new to wiring like this and designing PCBs and whatnot and building PCs isn't hard at all, but I'm definitely keen to learn (and lose some brain cells in the process!). Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be hearing PLENTY from me soon enough once my tablet arrives and I find a suitable screen!  Grin
Chocochan

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »

Welp, I'm going to give up. Sad (sorry for vast amount of text that will follow, but I REALLY tried!)

I just can't find a decent screen that fits the active size of this A5 tablet I'm STILL waiting for. Heck, I can't even find ANY resolution LCD screen that would fit this tablet. Not even on eBay! It probably wasn't a good idea to try this size in the first place, but I seriously didn't want anything bigger. I actually draw comics and other artwork on A5 paper/sketchbooks and enjoy putting detail in such a small scale. I've spoken to Christina from njytouch and she told me about one screen they had, but it was too big at 10.6" and too expensive (LTN106W1-L01). She measured it for me and I was proved right, though the resolution was equal to the Cintiq 12WX (1280 x 800). I had an idea when I googled about iPad screens since they were smaller (9.7", IPS, 1024 x 768) and it seems a lot of people have the same idea but for other reasons (car PC screen, little gaming screen for travel, etc.), but no one has a solution to driving the screen. I found the technical data/spec sheet here for it and discovered it is a LVDS screen and takes a 30 pin cable:

http://www.displayalliance.com/storage/1-spec-sheets/LP097X02-SLAA.pdf

I sent Christina this info (had to try twice as I think my Windows Live email was blocked, so went through eBay) and she said they couldn't help. This screen would've been only a bit smaller which is better than larger, but alas no go. I came across a guy who managed to drive his iPod screen. Yes, I said iPod screen:

http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/ipodlcd.html

I sent an email to him too, just in case he had any ideas. He has a lot of other interesting projects too (a lot of which I don't understand, but hey). Also tried EarthLCD too as they apparently make custom LCDs and even the controllers as well:

http://store.earthlcd.com/

I don't think I'll get a reply from them though. Every LCD vendor I've told the same story and asked them to measure the active/viewable area of the screen for me. But they ALWAYS end up being too long in width and too short in length. Typing 10.0" does nothing as a lot of sellers will call anything near 10" (like 10.1", 10.4", etc.) "10.0"", so I end up with loads of useless eBay listings and links via Google and Yahoo! search. I've even tried going by resolution, like 800 x 600 (XGA, yuck), but for some reason that seems to equate to a lot of crappy 14" and 15" screens on eBay. I'll still keep the tablet when it comes (I'll need to get a pen for it as that's how I got it so cheap. It doesn't have one), but I'll just have to get used to using it as how it was designed. At least it's an Intuos 3 in good condition, so it's a quality tablet (hope it arrives in one piece!).

Looks like I'll have to kiss my DIY Cintiq dream goodbye... *sniff* Cry
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 05:33:34 PM by Chocochan » Logged
SiliconeClone

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2011, 05:45:45 PM »

Choco have you tried LCD's in the 9.6" Range??

Something like http://cgi.ebay.com/Toshiba-9-6in-STN-Color-LCD-Screen-Assy-TLX-8062S-C3X-/370517938355?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56449710b3
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2011, 05:50:36 PM »

Alternative:  Use a bigger screen -- but "disable" portions of it -- (yes, it's possible in Windows using tools like Powerstrip)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: