Bongofish
November 19, 2019, 03:23:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SeñorTiq  (Read 3717 times)
senorvalenz
New Poster

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2011, 05:31:11 AM »

I've been using a 9x12 Intuos 3 for a couple years now, very happily.  However, about a week ago I rigged my roommate's projector to shine on the Wacom, calibrated it (approximately), and instantly was able to draw WAY better than I've been able to on the computer.  I knew I had to do something about it, but I knew $2K was way too much for an off-the-shelf Cintiq, and the $1k ones are just too small.  Now I am saved.  All hail Bongofish.

Still researching and contacting sellers, but here are the criteria I'm shooting for:
> Laptop screen
> No modifications to the Intuos
> Easy install + removal of Intuos (relatively easy)
> Keep access to left quick-keys + touch strip (I use them all the time)
> Portable and durable (if at all possible)

My plan is to play it safe with the monitor setup: either order from TabletMods (if they get back to me) or go with one of the monitors they use; and have fun with the enclosure.  (I'm comfortable with bending plastic and drilling holes, but not with fancy e-tronics.)

More to come...

Something folks might appreciate when researching screens... from Wikipedia's Melesse: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphic_display_resolutions

bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 06:03:06 AM »

Welcome SeñorTiq,

TabletMod.com (member DonShole on Bongofish) is currently a bit overwhelmed with his business and new projects he told me a couple days ago. Do not worry, he is still around, you just need to be a little patient.  (I know patience is a rare thing in this world).  Grin

9x12 (15 inches) is a nice size for a tablet. Getting a screen that you know won't have jitter issues would be the risky part. It seems you informed yourself pretty good, tabletmod.com claim that their kits works without any special shielding/grounding.  You can also try to look at the successful builds notes with a intuos 3 of the same size -- maybe you could locate the same LCD Panel(s) if any.  http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=1221.0

About your resolution graphic, I saw a similar picture when I compiled a similar list on the wiki http://wiki.bongofish.co.uk/doku.php?id=bongofish:lcdresolutions

Drucifer74

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 09:12:43 PM »

You have the same set up as me, the 9x12 intuos.

All you need is a laptop monitor (look on tablet mod's faq's for the kind you want to buy) and a controller kit with the correct resolution from NYJtouch in China. You can find them on Ebay. You'll have to do some minor metal shield removal off the back of some brands so the pen can sense the entire board. Be very delicate with it.

It won't take long to set it up.

As for the enclosure, you can build one without as many pieces with any material for the back plane and a sheet of clear acrylic from home depot for the front. Sides optional. Mine is a plexi sandwich with tape holding them together. Works fine.

Killing jitter is an imperfect science so far. Some times you get lucky, but a tiny bit won't make you mad since no one draws on the entire screen anyway. Even wacom can't kill jitters completely according to the info I've found on the 12 inch (same size you'll be making) cintiq.

You may find as I did that if you like the unencumbered view of the screen you currently have with your intuos and monitor, you might dislike the hand in the way.  Or you might like it.

I'd say no matter what you choose, go ahead and order the ergotron arm now. Mine is rigged up to a desktop easel and is a tiny bit awkward to move around on my desktip. I can't move it into place to draw as instantly as I'd prefer. Nothing's perfect. But if I could do it all over again, that would have been my very first puchase, since once it works you'll want to be able to start drawing comfortably right away.

it's an adventure no matter what you do, and worth doing for bragging points. I used to see video game creator nerds come into my old job and their jaws dropped when I told them I built my own cintiq.
senorvalenz
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 05:08:45 AM »

Heya, thanks a lot for the tips, I really appreciate it. 

I ordered my controller from Luly since her ship time was shorter than NJYT and I'm an impatient jerkface...  does anyone have experience programming these boards?  I kinda want to test a couple monitors from dead laptops, but am not sure I can...
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 08:26:24 PM »

Programming the LVDS controller?  You need the proper programmer board to do that. Did you order it from Luly? (I saw her mentioning once that she could sells it for an extra 30$ or so).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: