Bongofish
November 16, 2018, 11:24:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ferret's Build Log.  (Read 7370 times)
Ferret

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2007, 12:11:50 AM »

Stage 1: Part sourcing.

Have tracked down Via my contacts, a 1212 that will hopefully be mine. As well as cheap UNIX cabling.

An deciding on a TFT to use with my more specific requirements.

Namely compatibility with SGI and if possible Amiga graphics outputs.

Am also looking Far an income source, but that's harder. Maybe next week, after exams end.
Ferret

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 12:34:00 AM »

Yeah, stargate Ref in the title.

Ebay is a monitor treasure house.

Have been looking at Multisync TFT's For around £1O!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280072219772

This for example. While it has a dodgy backlight, I've toned more often than not that a dodgy cable is to blame, and a sync master cheap is worth buying another TFt to steal backlight Parts from.

Just got to wait to hear from my wacom contacts before I go out and buy me a dremel!
Plus look at drivers for SGI and Amiga workstations.

TTFN!
Ferret

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 02:33:01 AM »

Have found another Wacom UD1212 so have put an offer in on that one too. I kinda hope I get both, so that I can build a Frrtiq and still have a "real" Wacom all of my own. I've never had one before, after all. Just my Penabled TabletPC.

Although thank goodness that the TBPC uses UD pens. Smiley The latest find is Tablet and PSU only, no drawing gear, so I'm hopefully going to be the only person interested. I guess we'll see in a week or so.

As you may have seen from my crazy "Wierd OS" thread, I've been doing some research on a suitable platform for this. Unfortunately, the old Acorn drivers for this tablet appear to have disapeared from the face of the earth, which is a shame, since a Frrtiq would have worked well on the old RiscPC my Aunt gave me a couple of years back.

Still, BeOS, MacOS X, Linux and SGI support could all be a good thing, since I have MacOSX (The TabletPC and an iBook) Linux (The TabletPC), Windows (The TabletPC), and SGI machines handy. That plus BeOS can be freely downloaded as abandonware these days. I always found it to be a very pleasant Operating System to use.

The Wacom's will probably end up serving duty for my Multi (Read changing daily) Operating System desktop machine, SHODAN, which gets formatted with experimental systems every couple of days or so. In the last week I've been through 2 Darwins, OSSIM, MacOSX, Ubuntu (The current), and ReactOS 0.30

Either the one as a Frrtiq or the other with SHODAN's current 17" TFT as a normal Wacom, which are happily supported under linux and by my machine's twin serial ports.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 02:47:49 AM by Ferret » Logged
Ferret

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 04:18:51 AM »

http://www.freewebs.com/ferret-simpson/Frrtiq%2D121215M.svg

Note that SVG is an XML based file format, so you'll need to "Save Link As" (Not "Save Target As" because I know no-one here is stupid enough to still use Internet explorer, right?)

mm Scalable Vector Graphics, looks very professional doesn't it? Don't worry, You'll see the truth as soon as you open it. Smiley
Ferret

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 08:06:50 PM »

Bidding ends on my project screen in about 4 hours.

Current cost £15 posted.

Syncmaster 151s. When it arrives I'll have a look at how feasible it would be to reuse the cool rotating stand that it has. Obviously it'll have to be capable of holding the weight of the Screen, + Tablet + the new casing. Mounting it could also be a problem, as well as the instability caused by the change in centre of gravity.

I'll update when I find out whether it's mine or not.
Switz

S W I N T I Q If it aint broke, MAKE IT BETTER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 08:20:30 PM »

I am not 100 percent sure, but I think that has an internal power supply, but I may be wrong.  I bought a Syncmaster 150 S then before I paid, I realized it had an internal and now I have to pay like an 8 dollar listing fee, but when I checked yours, the image looked like an internal, whatever, good luck!

Made that, not my best, but I love it.  Firefoxy lol
It's all fun and games till someone loses a testicle.   Cheesy
Ferret

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 12:00:10 AM »

The rotating screen makes me think otherwise: There's no point in a rotating screen if the cable won't go with it.

The 152 is also supposedly External according to the "Good Monitors" thread.

It's mine anyway, £20.47 posted.
Switz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 12:29:12 AM »

Whatever, hope it works, good luck!

Ferret

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 12:31:00 AM »

Update. Had a look on the manual. Drat, it IS internal. Still, I may be able to do something with it, as has been done with the larger ones. (Cintiq 21UX clones)

Oh well, even if I have to get another, a 15" rotating syncmaster is cheap at £20 plus tinkering.
Switz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 01:36:20 AM »

I know what you can do, hmmm. lol, Just make a quad screen set up lol or put it on your wall somewhere else and take the stand and use it for the wacom if you can.

Ferret

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 03:05:13 AM »

Hmmm
Wacom for the Tablet
Wacom for the Amiga + Syncmaster
Wacom for the iBook (Frrtiq)
17" shared over Server and Linux Workstation
Switz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 03:37:17 AM »

Thats sweet lol, I would just take those wacoms and make multiple frrtiqs, but whatever you want, it is still sweet!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: