Bongofish
November 15, 2019, 07:33:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Intous 2 A4 build advice needed (WORKS YAY)  (Read 15197 times)
janm

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2011, 03:17:13 PM »

Hi Guys,

Been interested in a cintiq when they first appeared but like many the price was more then i can afford.
So i've been using the intous for a number of years.

Happened on this forum and looking through peoples builds i'm starting to get the itch.

I'm in the uk so hoping to source parts here to save shipping and taxes if possible.

So the intous 2 a4 i have already. I believe its active area is 304.8 x 240.6 mm.

Looking for a good screen to use with this tablet.

Anyone have recomend laptop screens with 1900 x 1080 res (or if not possible at this res an alternative)
and a size that would fit my tablet? Source for suitable controller too?

thanks,

Jan
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 01:09:06 AM by janm » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 04:10:54 PM »

welcome janm!  Smiley

Your intuos2 is a 9x12 (inches) and that means a 3:4 aspect ratio -- not widescreen. The resolution you are talking about 1920x1080 is a popular resolution for newer monitors and laptops (Full HD) but it is a widescreen one.  What you are looking for is a 15inch non-widescreen LCD Panel.  If you can find a 15 inches 1400x1050 you will have almost the same amount of lines but fit in a 3:4 ratio (this is a great resolution I find).  You can get higher res as well like 1600x1200, but more difficult to find at 15 inches.    You can also use a widescreen, but you will have to pick a disappointing small widescreen to fit your tablet and piece of your tablet won't be usable. (We try to find LCDs that are smaller or equal to the tablet, when the screen is bigger, you cannot reach some areas of the screen).  There are tricks you can do on the host (Windows) to reduce the size of the LCD (have black areas on the LCD). Some have done it, I do not remember how they did it.

For the controller, look at our wiki page: http://wiki.bongofish.co.uk/doku.php?id=bongofish:lvdsvendors 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 03:40:41 AM by bernard » Logged
janm

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 04:41:50 PM »

thanks for the info. will look into this a bit more.

Jan
janm

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 07:34:36 PM »

ok i've narrowed the search down to a 4x3 laptop screen.
Just waiting to see what comes up on ebay now... might take a while.

Will post a build thread once i get a screen.

this is the kind of build i'm shooting for

http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=1767.0

Jan
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 03:27:05 AM »

I assume you meant 4:3 ratio (and not 4 inches by 3 inches).  Tongue

Ah yes, the K-Jintiq is a very nice one - fits a DIY Cintiq dream perfectly IMHO.  Smiley

janm

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 02:18:16 PM »

cant find the screen he used but on the lookout for a similar one from an ibm thinkpad.

The problem is if i buy a screen, then later order a controller to match what happens if
the screen is now working. The controller could take 1 or 2 weeks to come and most
ebay vendors only offering 7 day returns. I guess this is a risk we take.

Jan
tpope

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 03:20:52 PM »

One option would be to pick the screen you want, based on a successful build here, or at least a conformation that the folks with the controller can drive it.  Then order the preprogrammed controller first.  Don't order the screen until you have the controller in your hands, and if it doesn't work, return it for another one of the same type.  This means you're committing to a given screen type, but short of buying a programmer (another $60+ to the controller price) that's pretty much a given anyway.

janm

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 05:34:56 PM »

Ok got hold of a screen locally.

Now need some ffc's and connectors.

Looked for DIY beamer but two sites came up in google.

which is the proper site you guys use?

this

http://diy-beamer.com/

or

http://www.diy-beamer.net/

thanks,
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 07:43:40 PM »

diy-beamer.com
janm

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 09:19:08 PM »

The FFC's have arrived from DIY beamer, took 10 days to the Uk.

Now just waiting on the controller from china.

Jan
janm

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 04:13:29 PM »

Hi guys,

The R.RM5451 LCD Controller Board Kit has arrived but a capacitor on the main board seems to have a broken
leg or is not soldered...is this normal?

here is a pic

* broken.jpg (87.83 KB, 893x565 - viewed 384 times.)
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 04:26:55 PM »

I do not have that board myself to check -- nevertheless, it is indeed abnormal and thus broken.   What did they do with that board anyway? Played frisbee or football with it?  I would not attempt to power up the board. 

Send them that picture!

I would probably solder it back but only after a response from them maybe they will send a replacement and wants to board unaltered -- but the other piece of the leg is really weird-looking(??) Looks quite long or is it just the angle of the photo?
janm

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 04:33:06 PM »

Ok I will email them a picture but they take a while to repond Sad   A few days

The leg is abnormally long which makes me think it was not soldered in the first place
and if so and its a critical part how they programmed it for my screen.

Jan
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 06:53:51 PM »

Having a cap "half soldered" simply does not make sense. Either you put it or not.  Leaving it dangling like that is not only weird, it is dangerous!

AFAIK, when they "program" a board they do not play with these types of parts at all.

I am thinking this is a fabrication issue, maybe the machine took some metal piece as the leg and soldered that instead?

Well if you are in a hurry -- you could just solder the leg to the piece of metal directly. :S

janm

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 07:02:11 PM »

I think it'll be better to get a respose from christina first. Its so close and i'll try and contain the excitement...

I waited a few weeks so don't want to risk damage to something now...  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: