Bongofish
November 15, 2019, 07:50:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Intous 2 A4 build advice needed (WORKS YAY)  (Read 15198 times)
janm

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 07:05:41 PM »

Ok got word back from christina that this was indeed a connection that needed soldering.

I did that and then I hooked up the screen....

PROBLEM i think i ruined the screen...

Just bending the FFC (see pic) a little resulted in a break within the copper
tracks so only half of the screen works...  wiggling the FFC a little sometimes
brings the whole screen but only for a split second..   

The FFC is attached directly to the screen and there are no visible tracks (they are very fine tracks)
I can solder wires to fix] it.

I guess this screen is unrecoverable?   took me a while to find it (1600 x 1200 IPS) 15"...

* IMG_0112[1].jpg (80.76 KB. 875x561 - viewed 406 times.)

« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 07:34:39 PM by bernard » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 07:33:46 PM »

yipes! That is exactly what we mean when we say the LCD is very fragile.  ouch, 1600x1200 IPS -- a really, really nice one indeed

You are gonna need a better picture of the broken connection!!

No, it is not going to be easy to fix. This is not your average PCB. Yes, these are fine lines and they break very easily.

Is it fixable?  maybe.  How many connections do you think is broken?  Please manipulate with extra-super-care it can continue to break further VERY easily. Think about thin packaging plastic--once a crack starts, it can continue very easily.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 07:36:29 PM by bernard » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 07:39:31 PM »

before you do any attempt at repairing it, please take the time to discuss what you think you could do.

janm

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 07:47:39 PM »

There are 7 connections severed looking with strong light, right up on the edge of the glass..

There is no way to recover these, the tracks are so fine they are barely visible.  Sad
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2011, 08:08:03 PM »

seven!   Embarrassed

How fine are they?  Measure the total size then divide by the number of wires.

What if you find a way to hold it in the "good" position (since you said it worked for a split second). I mean: What about putting something flat "on top" of the broken connection and then have a block underthen "pushed against the upper block"?  I have no idea how this is mechanically presented, I am imagining this completely. 

Please get pictures!! Smiley

janm

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2011, 08:23:52 PM »

Sorry I cannot take better pictures with a phone camera.

I tried bending it and holding it and all it does is work a little while and then the image breaks down.

I have taken a human hair for reference and these tracks are a little thinner then that.

Not like the wide 0.5mm FFC tracks as found on the connector side of the cable. These are very fine thats why they
were easy to damage. I think when the screen was assembled and the metal frame put around it. This left a crease
as the FFC was put under pressure against the diffuser. So when i unfolded it, the tracks broke..

I wanted to see if i could take the FFC off the screen and maybe see if there were pads on the screen
but there are none.

I don't have resources to fix this and am putting the screen to one side incase i might need the tube light or diffuser
next time. Will try to get hold of another one..  will take a little while though.
janm

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 12:36:14 PM »

got another screen for £20 i took it apart more carefully this time and put it in a custom wooden case with intous 2 circuit board.

However there is a great deal of jitter. ( see pic below).

I've wrapped eveything in foil. that took care of extreem jitter from backlight power supply but the native jitter from screen frequency
cannot be over come. I've grounded everything too and that does not effect this jitter.

I've tried using powerstrip but when i adjust the screen frequency the computer crawls so much so that it takes minuits to press a icon or button.

any idea's thamks.

* Untitled-1.jpg (68.61 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 375 times.)
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 03:53:42 PM »

Not sure why powerstrip makes your CPU crawl, that's not normal.  Try again I suppose(?)  What options have you tried in powerstrip (this tool is packed with options)?

You need to "ground" the foil btw.
janm

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2011, 04:45:47 PM »

At the moment I have only tried to adjust the frequency for the lcd (native frequency 60hz) in powerstrip.
My cpu is a quad core intel and motherboard is a rampage forumula. I've tried it a few times now with the same
result. The system effectivley locks up with any change to the lcd frequency.

I have grounded the foil to the ground on the wacom tablet. Maybe I should ground it to the dvi port instead?

Jan
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2011, 04:54:44 PM »

Maybe powerstrip does not like your video card(?).  If this is a laptop (I assume not since you are mentioning the motherboard type) sometimes you have power profiles and in there you can lower the LCD Hz.  

When you say "with any change to the LCD frequency" -- what steps are you doing in powerstrip to achieve that?   You tried lowering or augmenting the frequency?

For the grounding, I think the way you did it is fine. Well, from the little you explained(!!).  Have you read k-Jintiq build?  They did a lot of clean shielding.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 04:56:55 PM by bernard » Logged
janm

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 04:59:22 PM »

The system is a desktop the card a nvidia 8800 GTS.

Power strip advanced timings to change the LCD frequency. I have lowered and tried to incread but it locks up straight away.

Here is a pic showing layout of the system so far.

Jan

* IMG_0130.jpg (38.61 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 433 times.)
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2011, 06:40:09 PM »

Maybe you could try with another machine or another graphics cards (even a very cheap one) at least to know if changing the frequency can help you for this build. Then you could know that focusing on finding a way to do that would help.

You are the first person that reports me that there is an issue with powerstrip.  I think there are other tools out there.  One thing you could try is to find a way to build a .inf file (without changing the screen frequency if possible). and then try to install that (it might lock the machine thought until you do a "restore point" thingy).

Is this a dual-head screen system or adapter or is this the only screen in the system?   Try different setup, maybe it might help.

What OS are you running again?  Is it 64 bits?
janm

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2011, 07:10:41 PM »

Hi Bernard,

Well had some sucess with Powerstrip locking up my system. Trying to get to the bottom of why it was not working I unistalled custom profiles created by my
eyeone display device and that fixed the problem with powerstrip.

Now trying frequencies. Not found one yet that effects the jitter.

The driver i have has a dvi port and a vga port. At the moment im using the dvi port.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2011, 07:23:05 PM »

hum. Are you sure this is effectively changing the frequency of the LCD?  If you go too extreme (low or high) I think it should either just shutdown or start seeing artifacts-- does it do that? Or do you see the LCD flicker (when too low)?

Sometimes a change of just 0.1Hz can make a difference.  There are also *lots* of options to play with -- The LCD generates a lot of different frequencies.

Your tablet supports dual track (ability to have two devices at once). Can you find a way to disable the dual tracking feature (I think this is possible and simplifies the tablet work)? Maybe your pen's resonant frequency needs tweaking a little ?  Is it the same with the eraser?  (The eraser is a physically separate pen).

If you turn off the backlight, does it help?  Do you have another display to connect to so you see what you are doing?  Is this a dual head system?  try going single head if that's the case. Now we are at the stage of trying to pinpoint the problem and a potential solution.

Some have done many layers of foil / cling wrap.  Thin coil can make a nice Faraday cage, but that is not that good for some magnetic fields, it is good for RF only.

janm

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2011, 07:48:48 PM »

Hi

This is a dual head display and i've disabled the main monitor.

Just finished adjusting frequencys and its the same jitter at all frequencies i've tried.
When adjusting frequecys for the montitor there are no artifacts but display goes blank sometimes.

I've tried adjusting the pen frequency and that just makes the signal weaker but does not effect this jitter.

I backlight off makes no difference.

there are about 7 layers of foil. The foil has eliminated jitter from backlight powersource but not the screens jitter.

Most of the motion is horizontal jitter, vertical jitter is not so bad.
When i set the background of image to photoshop to black i get almost not jitter. If background is white i get jitter.

The jitter is same for eraser too.

The mouse is a lot lot worse for jitter then the pen.

Jan

* Untitled-1.jpg (31.1 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 364 times.)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 07:53:47 PM by janm » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: