Bongofish
December 11, 2019, 04:09:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: what monitor should i get?
a - 0 (0%)
b - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: monitor for a Intuos4 A3  (Read 7361 times)
gardia
New Poster

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2011, 06:46:04 PM »

so it finnaly arrived! my very own Intuos4 A3 tablet.
already love the thing but now it is time to turn this tablet into a DIY cintiq!!!

if been looking on some sites for a monitor but the sheer amount is overwhelming me atm.

so my question is, Does anyone ever made a DIY cintiq using the Intuos4 A3 tablet?
and if so what monitor did you use that worked properly?

if studied electronics so assembling a driver with a monitor won't be the biggest problem but what monitor to pick?

anyone able to help me out here?Cheesy

P.S. couldn't find a post new topic button so i tryed the post new poll one instead. don't flame for not seeing any options for the poll:P
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 10:05:30 PM »

A new electronic soul?  Welcome gardia!

Yeah, Intuos4 are nice beasts. Was this new? If so, you might be interested by some builds that did not open the case (and void the waranty)   You might want to also look at DonShole's site: tabletmod.com for suggestions.

Else you have to search in the forum for the successful builds -- we have a section that lists all.

Note: you have to first reply to a post before creating a new thread. So many people get trapped creating a poll. I wonder what we could do to make it in more prominent that you have to do that. (This is an anti-spam measure).

gardia
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 11:03:28 PM »

YEP brand new:) not a hair ( i have allot>Cheesy) on my head that ill even get a scratch on this tablet!

if seen the tabletmod movies;) it's what made me buy a wacom tablet and ofcourse now i'm here trying to make it into a DIY cintiq!!!
ill go check out his site allitle better tommorow:) another evening spend drawing yet tommorow another day of drawing on the office... CAD is good but id prefer photoshop:P

p.s. you think my boss would like it if i turned him into a avatar like this? Evil

it's not done yet:P need to add facial marks and glittery sparks! also other eyes
gardia
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 10:33:31 PM »

so atm i was looking at tabletmod.com and noticed he listen the screens he used.

i checked the screens and all seem nice and not to expensive but i have acouple of questions now.

resi is it best to have higher resi or does it cause more jitter then low resi?

matt glossy or whatever? not sure but i recall gaming on a friends laptop and seeing myself allot thus having a rather poor view of the stuff going on the screen.
he told me it's a glossy screen? not sure what it means but i think it's the layer of the screen you directly look at and glossy meaning it gives a effect of a mirror.
still haven't found anything on mat screens and atm i'd prefer advice from you guys instead of google.... less then 50% on the internet is WRONG!

size. i noticed on the tabletmod site that he noted a intuos4 A3 aka Large needs a screen of 15.4 Inch
now i'm not a mathmatical genius but is this true? or would you say it needs to be allitle bigger of smaller?

Led Drivers! every laptop screen will need a driver to translate the data coming from the computer into a actual image on your screen.
but what is the difference between drivers? do i need to have a custom build driver or just a driver compatible with my screen? and if so are there any good places to buy these that don't house in USA?Tongue i'm EU and id prefer to buy in EU duo to shipping costs and knowing what a beating a shipment gets when traveling to me by boat or plain.

and last but not least does anyone recommend a screen + possible driver for my Intuos4 Large?

linky's to the screens i'm refering to
http://cgi.ebay.com/AUO-15-4-B154EW01-V-8-WXGA-NB-LCD-Panel-FRU-13N7144-/270727364282?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f089bbeba
http://www.diytrade.com/china/4/products/6882796/LG_LP154WX4_15_4_WXGA_LCD_Display.html
http://www.diytrade.com/china/4/products/6986616/B154PW01_V_1.html

P.S. i made a avatar from a old picture of my boss;P took him around 5min to actually notice it was himself! got the office laughing all day about it!
and now hes going to attempt a photoshop where he turns me into a fiery demon:P
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 07:51:57 PM »

size: you have to do the math. Sorry. When you looking up a screen, watch for widescreen vs. non-widescreen to fit more of your tablet. (I did not check your tablet sizes specifically). Always compute the precise width and height size in mm (or inches if you prefer) then compare that.  Bigger Tablet is easier to deal with.  Bigger screen, even 1 pixel bigger, can be problematic (won't be able to access that area).

glossy: glossy is the trend right now (since Apple have been screaming to everyone that you get brilliant colors with glossy) -- which is true -- but it also means a Mirror.  When having your face close to the surface (I like drawing like that, but that's just me) it is a bit annoying.  Are you on Windows 32/64 bit or Mac OS or whatever?

"resi" ?  I assume you mean "resolution".  1024x768 for 15 inches non wide-screen is nice/good enough for 2D Art as a second monitor.  But that is a question of taste.  For CAD/3D modeling you might like higher resolution. For primary monitor, you might like more resolution also.  Depends what you want to do with it. For 15inches non-widescreen, I prefer 1500x1040 -- you probably won't get old 15 inches monitors like that, only laptop LCD panels.

"Led Drivers" -- not sure you meant LCD or LED here.  We have a wiki page that list some of the vendors along with other important notes. http://wiki.bongofish.co.uk/doku.php?id=bongofish:lvdsvendors  --  most of them are from China.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 12:20:22 AM by bernard » Logged
gardia
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 03:20:37 AM »

been a while but if done it:)

My father heard of my little project and asked a friend of him if he had any monitors laying around.
Seems he did seeing i atm have a DELL E172FP laying on top of my intuos, With a separate power supply and a lcd driver To boot!

if connected everything and the screen works great even tho it's a 17inch while i needed around 15.4 inch
if extended the cables already but i'm atm facing 1 little problem...

yep it's mr. jittery bugg

i haven't tryed shielding the main circuitboard above the LCD yet or even grounded the components properly and thus i have a jitter of around 3mm top + random clicks.
( tryed shielding the metal casing of the backlight and jitter went down to 1mm!!! )

my question right now is basicly:
-how to shield?
-what components need shielding?
-how to shield the pcb above the screen while it's laying flat at the same height?
-any parts that req grounding except the 2 pcb's and the metal strip on the backlight?

P.S. sorry for in advance, my teacher called me a grammar nazi for a reson.... just can't learn ze grammer

bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 02:59:58 PM »

first thing to try:  Play with the frequencies (LCDs are driven at 60Hz typically).  If the monitor driver's options are not helping, use Entech's Powerstrip utility to try to see if just modifying at which frequency the LCD is driven would do the trick.   Look here: http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=1815.msg13465#msg13465
gardia
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 08:06:29 PM »

got the jitter gone by just grounding the metal casing the backlights are housed in.
still need to shield the main print ontop of the screen + the driver but atm nearly no jitter at all.

atm trying to find a way to scale down the screen seeing it's a 17 inch none wide dell screen i got for free.
it's wide dimensions are just perfect! but it's height is about 3cm to much on both the top and bottem.
this causes the mouse to pass the pen point when you draw a line from top to bottem, thus i'm looking for a way to scale down the screen like you see at those wide screen movies:D bigg black bar on the top and bottem of ya screen.

tryed the powerstrip software but i gues it's mainly for the frequencies and not the screen size displayed, + it's complicated to boot!  Huh

anyone know a way to scale the stuff down? tryed video settings of my geforce card but it only allows me to move the screen. same as the driver on the screen itself, no scaling options.

still:) i'm fairly lucky i guess. got a free screen nearly no jitter without shielding + i didn't blow myself or any hardware up yet Grin

edit. i found a option to make a custom resolution using my geforce software.
atm i can set my own pixels on these functions for both horizontal and vertical.
-active pixels
-front porch pixels
-sync width pixels
-total pixels
-polarity

now i have no idea what this all means + i even got a warning that it's possible to break your screen if ya screw this up.
so anyone able to explain allitle about this stuf? tryed google but most stuff i found didn't clarify anything for me

« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 08:27:49 PM by gardia » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 01:37:53 AM »

grounding:  great stuff!

I do not have all the explanations for all these settings, but I strongly doubt you can break LCD screens -- all those warnings ususally pertains to (high-voltage, high-powered) CRTs.

Try playing around with your geforce settings -- just take a note of the original numbers before changing them -- powerstrip has all the same features as well (yes, it is god dawn complex).

NBraz
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 04:00:36 PM »

Why don't you try the Wacom Tablet Properties? There's a mapping option that allows you to select the tablet area and screen area. Mess with those values.
gardia
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 07:00:11 PM »

maybe because my screen is bigger then my tablet?  Cheesy

bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 08:35:29 PM »

BTW, that Powerstrip tool has a "custom resolution" option -- you can makeup about any resolution you like. -- I am not sure how your LCD will react, but it is worth trying I think.
gardia
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 09:58:42 AM »

got it working with a 1280x720 resolution.

just need a casing so i can adjust the placing of the screen properly!
now where to find some plexiaglas or simmilar stuff to build a casing with...
anyone know what tabletmod uses for his casings?
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 08:54:38 PM »

Very cool!  Have you also created a ps_mon.inf file and installed that? (so you do not need the powerstrip tool running on your machine anymore, it becomes like a "screen driver" for your LCD & machine).

tabletmod uses Ponoko. Ponoko actually let you build a little store to sell your design. It will build it and ship it to your customers. This is exactly what TabletMod is doing.

Ponoko is not the cheapest solution.  People have had many creative ideas to build cases. In your local construction store you might be able to find a sheet of transparent acrylic (these are not that cheap though).

A few people used electrical tape... lots of it. Some have made a hole in a table and put a glass -- some of these tables would actually rotate (like in animation studios). Depends what you want to do with it.
gardia
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 09:25:32 PM »

i'm thinking of making my own casing from plexiglas.

using the same method as tabletmod does.
aka basicly 2 bigg pieces of plexiaglas with small pieces of the side sticking out.
then making 4 strokes and cutting a line out of these so i can insert them into the 2 larger slabs.

could also just go with 2 pieces of plexiglas and bending the 4 sides upwards then ill just need to fix the top slab and secure it with bolts, or just make it just small enough so it won't be able to move:)

looking for a place that sells the stuff atm:P but most charge a arm leg and a kidney for it.
or there miles away and id prefer to pick it up myself seeing i don't want shitty quality.

also on your part where you sad some even rotate? you mean the thing is mounted on a disk? seeing ill be doing that also but then with a monitor arm Smiley one of those ergonomic ones.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: