Bongofish
November 20, 2018, 01:45:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lunatiq  (Read 8704 times)
Lunakov
New Poster

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2011, 06:34:16 PM »

I decided to build a unit based on the K-Jintiq. Same parts so see his thread for the details.
I will do a quick recap.
Wacom Intuos 3 12x9 A4 purchased on ebay
LCD 1400x1050 LP150E05 purchased on ebay
Controller board/inverter and power supply purchased from "njytouch" on bay Ordered april/22/2011 arrived….less than 14 days later

I built the exact same unit with the exception of the following.
I have integrated the power supply along with the controller and inverter board on the back of the unit. I wanted to make it portable with a handle to wrap the cords and carry. So, I will VAc formed a back panel to cover everything and have the tablet angle at 15˚ as Hieron suggested he likes. I also added a micro USB port to make the USB cable removable like the bamboo ( still waiting for this connector to arrive). That way all the cables could be packed separate from the tablet.

The first thing I did was to dismantle the Wacom Tablet. Seems that someone had already been inside mine along with some Mountain DEW… A quick clean up was in order and the sticky mess was taken care of. It also seems that the previous owner has a run in with some solvent along the way, as some of the plastic under neath the drawing area was crazed. I knew that that was going to be a problem…..

Once everything was dismantled, I stripped the paint. Oven cleaner did not work for me, but then again I bought the cheap stuff instead of the "easy off".. I used lacquer thinner to get the paint off. Worked pretty good and was very quick. I had some reaction on the front of the panel with the paper towel that had absorbed the thinner and created some paper towel marks in the plastic. A word about the plastic, I think it is a Lexan type material, quite soft actually and very east to sand and work…. SO I sanded the entire front cover inside and out. I started with 320 and wet sanded my way up to 2000.  I left the back side at 2000 grit, that got the crazing marks on the drawing surface out. Sanding the front also allowed me to soften the edges where the cover normally is and will reduce the pen tip getting caught on that edge.  The front got polished with Novus plastic polish 2. I used a wheel because I am lazy and it was way faster! then used a glazing compound to finish it.

Once I got the screen I laid out, I marked the  middle plastic grey spacer panel and then cut out where it would live using the back edge of an x-acto blade and a lot of scoring to cut through the plastic. It's pretty soft an went quickly, and it gave me very straight cuts.

Touch strip PCB's were cut down as well to fit.

I will post some details shortly. I have the unit working and some basic stack ups done on the back. I am working on a metal grounding box for all the electronics right now. Some jitter but nothing is grounded in the test builds.

* IMG_1073.JPG (420.62 KB, 1000x562 - viewed 1064 times.)

* small back.jpg (161.82 KB, 1000x562 - viewed 824 times.)
bluewinters21
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 02:17:54 AM »

Very nice!   Grin   Looks like you’re further along than I am. I'm so jealous.
Kareltje

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 12:21:22 PM »

Looks really nice and thank you for the polishing info!
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 04:44:40 AM »

Nice build so far! Smiley

1400x1050 I find is a really nice resolution for a 15 inch display.

Have you extended the CCFL wires yourself?  I say this just because of the look of the wires in the picture -- they look thin. Watch out that there is between 600v and 1200v AC in there and this type of voltage can "arc" (short circuit through air or non-conductive too-thin isolation rubber). Also the gauge of the wire needs to be big enough (check if the wire is a bit hot) -- too small a gauge could also mean less brightness (not entirely sure about that).  In other words, do not put those wires directly next to some metal - make sure there is like ~1mm insulation -- maybe just roll something around each wire just to make a bigger insulation or put more heat shrink tubing.
Lunakov
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 07:38:02 PM »

I have extended the CCFL cables, But i will be redoing that shortly. I picked a wire that looked similar in gauge as the original. Look for a post soon on the CCFL cable shielding and stuff.

* SIde view.JPG (407.9 KB, 1000x469 - viewed 747 times.)

* Cover on the box.JPG (412.38 KB, 1000x562 - viewed 694 times.)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 07:53:05 PM by Lunakov » Logged
Lunakov
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 07:51:14 PM »

April 12th 2011:
I finished building the metal box to hold all the electronics today. This has been the hardest part of the project so far. Its tedious and I don't have the metal tools and must go to a shop that has them. I finished drilling and tapping all the holes in the box. It is recycled and made out of an old IBM server cover that is powder coated black. I have attached it to the back of the tablet with 6 screws. One of the screws (not shown in picture) has a small wire wrapped around the head of it to ground it to the metal plate that is in the Wacom tablet already.

* IMG_1100.JPG (463.44 KB. 1000x562 - viewed 714 times.)

As you can see I have the power supply in there too, I have hard wired it to the controller. I also made a modification to the monitor keypad. I removed the connector and soldered the wires on the back of the board so that I could mount the board facing the box and be able to access the buttons to turn the power on and off.
I was hoping that the metal box and the grounding of the electronics would solve my jitter problem. It has not. I will work on the CCFL cables and attempt to shield and ground them. Hopefully that will help my jitter.

* Six screws.JPG (339.38 KB, 1000x562 - viewed 605 times.)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 06:16:55 AM by bernard » Logged
Lunakov
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 08:46:55 PM »

April 13th 2011:
Today I figured out that the pen tip is causing very fine scratches in the clear plastic cover from the tablet. The tip has flash on it from the manufacturing process and that was causing the scratching. So I polished the tip with some plastic polish and my polishing wheel, and voila, no more scratching!

Hoping to get to the store today to buy some heavy duty foil to make a shield for the CCFL cables.
Lunakov
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 01:54:06 AM »

I used SwitchresX and set the resolution to 64HZ and that made a real big difference. I have not insulated the CCFL cables yet, but hope to do that next, But the change to 64Hz made a large difference and has eliminated most of the jitter. It is way better, not gone, but a lot lot better. If anyone has a better frequency adjustment then the 64 Hz let us all know, for now this one seems to be the best.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 06:12:29 AM »

Nice metal working!  What type of metal is this?  

even changing the frequency of only 1Hz (like 59Hz) could make a big difference. You'd have to experiment.  Can't you adjust & try right-away?

Some have switched to "felt tip" nibs to protect their screen.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 06:25:14 AM by bernard » Logged
Lunakov
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 08:45:15 PM »

It is just sheetmeatal that is powder coated black on one side, thanks for IBM.
With Switchres you can just add two custom resolutions at a time. So it will take some time, 64 Hz is working out quite well.

Just a few more detail shots here.

* cable front.JPG (301.12 KB, 652x480 - viewed 622 times.)

* IMG_1080.JPG (344.89 KB, 1000x562 - viewed 578 times.)
Lunakov
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2011, 04:25:29 AM »

My Lunatiq is now finished. Here are some shots of it. Please move the thread to the completed build thread.
Someone sent me a message about the size of the metal box that hold the electronics a while back and I was not able to reply due to their mailbox being full. The dimensions are 15"x2.75"x1.5"
I added a handle that I bought at IKEA ...Its called a LANSA 345mm 13 9/16"
I also added a Micro USB dongle to the whole set up to make things easier with the cord (ebay). That way I can just use any standard micro usb cable from a phone. Works great, but the actual connector must be a bit wonky, have to wiggle the usb micro connection sometimes to get the blue usb light to come on, but once its on, its good.
I do still have some screen jitter, and I am not using a resolution adjuster as I had noted in my previous posts as I am just to cheap and not convinced that it will solve problem.
I must say that it does work very well for sketching and working in photoshop and even for my 3D app FormZ. Definitly way better than a regular wacom. For me as a designer its the best tool I have for sketching digitally, I encourage anyone to build one if you can deal with the delicateness of the screen and some of other issues. It was not a hard build for me, just a bit time consuming and I went all out with the cream paint and the metal flake and handle as those things were important to me. I am totally disappointment with the wacom build quality however! I can not fathom why companies build shit and stick it together with double sided tape!? shame on them for building something and using that as a solution, piss poor in my opinion as a creative designer. Its just not a quality.
I would consider selling it if the right offer came along, let me know if you are interested and I might be wiling to part with it so I can build another one!

* small2325.jpg (150.98 KB, 1440x809 - viewed 687 times.)

* small2323.jpg (73.54 KB, 800x450 - viewed 497 times.)

* Small2324.jpg (160.18 KB, 1440x809 - viewed 537 times.)

* small2328.jpg (169.66 KB, 1440x809 - viewed 499 times.)

* small2334.jpg (130.15 KB, 1440x809 - viewed 625 times.)

* small2336.jpg (121.73 KB, 1440x809 - viewed 559 times.)

* small2333.jpg (114.07 KB, 1440x809 - viewed 623 times.)
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 05:10:35 AM »

Awesome stuff!   Cool

The metal handle really gives it a distinctive look.  I like the metal string attachment to reduce the "tension" on the cable (this is the idea I assume?).

Happy digital sketching!
Lunakov
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 09:57:44 AM »

Hey everyone, I have not posted in a while. If someone could move this to the finished builds that would be great.
I have been using the Lunatiq very successfully since I have built it for several design projects and I can't be with a tablet, love having the ability to sketch on something with the pen.
Yesterday the screen went out. The USB intuos part still works, but getting a black screen. It probably just needs a new screen with the attached electronics. I want to sell the tablet at this point. Make me a reasonable offer and it's yours. All the hard work has been done, if you have built one before and are comfortable with taking out the screen and switching in a new one then this will be a piece of cake and a bargain project.

E
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: