Bongofish
December 11, 2019, 02:59:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sony 19" Screen (SDM-HS94P)  (Read 5322 times)
Tymnus
New Poster

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2011, 09:17:57 AM »

I have a Sony SDM-HS94P, Ultrabright 19" LCD. I am wondering if it will work for my build, as it does have an internal power supply. It's so easy to take apart... Also - since it is a 19" screen with a really nice housing... I am wondering if it might be possible to put a wacom board inside the monitor housing instead of the other way around. Has this been tried by anyone here?

Thanks.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 01:11:15 PM »

I think it has been tried to use the screen housing before.

I would say that the biggest issue with some monitors is the thickness of the LCD Panel (I mean the LCD component inside). If the backlight is in the back and not on the side would be a problem. (This is difficult to see, but typically thick LCD Panel component have the backlight in the back).  Also if the LCD Panel component has a lot of metal in the back, you will have to strip that.

19 inches -- you would have to find a matching tablet size.

For the power supply, it is not because it is inside that it is a problem.

You say it is easy to open?  Just post pictures of the inside: LCD Panel brand and model number, its back, its thickness along with all the electronic boards.
Tymnus
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 12:05:09 AM »

The backlight is behind the LCD. I have attached a link here to a series of photos showing the guts of the LCD housing and the power supply and controller as well for this Sony Monitor. 

https://picasaweb.google.com/earthspiritsong/SONYLCDDimantle?authkey=Gv1sRgCJnC96PmwIyOWA#5611905132797439074

There is definitely a lot of metal in the housing as well. Hmmm.

Thanks for your reply.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 06:46:39 AM »

The backlight is NOT behind the LCD: it is from the side (which is good).  Two CCFL lamp at the top, and two at the bottom.  Four CCFL lamps total.  Inverter (for the 4 CCFL lamps) and AC power on the same board.

For sure, all metal between the wacom sensor and its pen needs to be removed. (The wacom sensor needs to be behind the lcd panel). (I never saw it working with a piece of metal in between.)

I assume it works, right?    You need to measure precisely the width and height of the LCD image (the pixels) to know which tablet you can use for this. (need an equivalent or bigger tablet).

NOTE: watch out the inverter/CCFL: this is AC high-voltage (~600v-1200v) that can "arc" when in close proximity (no need to touch!). Do not touch while live. Do not probe the CCFL circuitry voltage using a multimeter (unless you know what you are doing).

Watch out the flexible cables on the side are very easy to break/tear and extremely difficult to repair. Put back in a "secured" position/area when done, do not flex many times.

Tymnus
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 08:45:08 PM »

Thanks a lot. Do you think that the acrylic too thick to put the Wacom behind? 
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 03:51:39 AM »

Which acrylic are you referring to exactly?  Inside the LCD component or something custom to add in front of the LCD to protect it?

Acrylic as a material by itself is not a problem -- the total thickness (distance between the pen and the sensor) is.

Tablets do not have the same "reading height".  We did not compile "reading heights" measurements per tablet. You will have to hunt for that info in the forum (if you do have some info, maybe we could add that to the tablet wiki page where we compile data for every tablet: http://wiki.bongofish.co.uk/doku.php?id=bongofish:tablets ) I assume you have read Drew's story (bongofish.co.uk) right? -- he talks how he measured his tablet reading height.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 05:08:46 AM by bernard » Logged
Tymnus
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 07:35:33 PM »

I am referring to the 1cm thick layer of acrylic behind the actual LCD screen that the lights attach to.

See this photo:
https://picasaweb.google.com/earthspiritsong/SONYLCDDimantle?authkey=Gv1sRgCJnC96PmwIyOWA#5611905484891684738

I have read drew's story, I will reread that and then conduct some tests later today. 
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 08:56:00 PM »

Oh, was that 1cm thick really?  LCD Panels (from laptops) are typically 5-6 mm *total*.  Like I said, it would depend on the tablet to support this thickness. You can gain height by removing the wacom case and -- some have seen a height boost by moving the wacom metal backplate *further away from the board* (I think its distance is important).   I think you are still "looking" for a wacom board to fit, right?  You would have to find what is the reading height of the various tablets.  I can make a few tests myself (when I get to them). Any particular "class" of wacom boards you were looking at (older/cheap ones or newer/more expensive ones) ?

Have you measured the precise width and height of the LCD image?  This will already bring down the choices.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 02:06:02 AM by bernard » Logged
Tymnus
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 04:21:33 AM »

Yes. That is the width. I have been introduced to a CNC laser and I am starting to wonder about the possibility of cutting a thinner sheet of acrylic to size and installing the lights to the new thinner sheet. Thus creating less issue around thickness, and making the overall design thinner and lighter.

The precise dimensions of the Sony LCD panel = 39cm x 32cm (15.4 in x 12.6 in)
As far as WACOM boards go, I believe that I will ideally need a 12x18 to make this work.  (I don't have one yet.) I am still looking for a good deal on a used 12x18 tablet. This is starting to feel a bit overwhelming since the cost for a tablet like this seems to be pretty high. I have been searching ebay regularly, and although I am finding some that would work they are way out of my budget and goal of creating a DIY Cintiq inexpensively and out of mostly recycled parts. 

I may need to abandon this till later for a smaller version for the time being. I have been given a couple of laptop LCD's and will begin investigating using those next. (I will be posting new topics about locating controllers and power supplies for these extracted Laptop LCD screens soon - watch this forum.)

bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 11:25:20 PM »

These 12x18 boards are huge.   You said 12.6 in? This is the LCD image (the pixels) right? We are not talking about the LCD Panel case.  Anyway, that means you will "not cover" .6 inches at the top/bottom even with that huge tablet(!).

Also, 1cm might be a bit too thick IMHO, I did not test reading heights recently, but Drew's tablet was 9mm!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: