test1
September 24, 2017, 11:18:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Converting Wacom GD-0912-R from Serial to USB  (Read 31527 times)
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2011, 03:02:53 AM »

This explains how to internally interface a GD-0912-R (or a similar board). This resemble a similar mod done for the XD-0608-R (http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=1928.0)

The mod is primarly targeted to connect to a Teensy, but this is good info to connect to any TTL-serial TX/RX device along with 5V power supply. (like a FTDI breakout board or Arduino)  -- connecting the 5v supply removes the need for an external power adapter brick. This can easily be powered off the USB.

Warning: This mod will permanently disable the external serial & power connections. Playing with electronics is not without risks. You can break or burn anything including your fingers.  .

In short, the mod consists of:  Connecting the serial signals from the back of the ADM202 chip to get the TX/RX signals (and hard-wire 2 incoming signal); connecting the 5V at the 5V regulator output.

There are 5 serial signals.

| Internal connector |            | ADM202 pins
 Direction | PC DB9  | (board marking)    | CheckPoint |  RS --- TTL
-----------+---------+--------------------+------------+-------------
 <--tablet | 2 (RXD) | 7 (TXD)            | CP1        |  14 <-- 11
 -->tablet | 3 (TXD) | 8 (RXD)            | CP2        |  13 --> 12
 -->tablet | 4 (DTR) | 6 (/DSR)           | CP3        |   8 --> 9
           | 5 (GND) | 4 (GND)            |            |
 <--tablet | 6 (DSR) | 5 (/DTR)           | CP4        |   7 <-- 10
 -->tablet | 7 (RTS) | 2 (CTS)            | CP5        | R2R --> TR1R

* adm202.png (66.05 KB. 912x571 - viewed 925 times.)

* GD0912R_before.jpg (211.66 KB. 910x557 - viewed 1166 times.)

First remove the ADM202 chip: Dremel or cut the legs then desolder every leg (beware to not lift the "pads" underneath and break the trace. If you break a pad that you need you can find a spot to solder somewhere on the board to connect to that same signal).  You could alternatively just cutout the legs that we care about and make sure you are not soldering to the leg (just the pad).

Pin 9  of the ADM202 should be grounded (this is DB9-DTR).
Pin 10 of the ADM202 should be left unconnected. (this is DB9-DSR)
Pin 11 of the ADM202 should be connected to RX (D2 on Teensy) ( data coming out of tablet )
Pin 12 of the ADM202 should be connected to TX (D3 on Teensy) ( data going into tablet )

Remove the TR1R transistor. The pad that is "alone" is the one we care about. We want to ground the signal. (This is DB9-RTS)

Cut the regulator output leg (near TP1) -- btw TP1 is a Test Point and connects to that same leg. This is our 5V VCC line.

Find a spot to connect the ground -- typically anywhere on the ground plane is good enough or you might try pin 4 of the connector (labeled GND in the markings).  (Keeping it "closer" to this area of the board is probably better)

* GD_0912_R_pre_mod.jpg (185.42 KB. 472x605 - viewed 930 times.)

* Teensy_Serial.JPG (76.09 KB. 509x293 - viewed 887 times.)

* GD_0912_R_mod.jpg (161.93 KB. 647x474 - viewed 798 times.)

I did the two ground by soldering a tiny piece of wire (insulation removed) to a nearby ground (pin 9 and TR1R transistor).

Always watch out where and in which position you solder a wire to avoid connecting unrelated traces and vias (i.e. holes).

Next step is to get the firmware on the Teensy. (see next post).

« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 04:39:13 AM by bernard » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 04:46:35 AM »

Get the distribution package here: http://code.google.com/p/waxbee/  

Get Java 1.6 for your platform (get the 64 bit Java version if you have Windows 64 bits), unzip the distribution package somewhere and double-click waxbee.jar to run.  

EDIT: Windows/JRE 32 bit now works with version 0.10 and up.

Do "File ->  New from Template", pick the "GD-0912-R to Intuos2" template.  Follow the instructions here:  http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=1930.msg14315#msg14315
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 06:34:43 AM by bernard » Logged
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 01:48:07 PM »

In that last picture what is the black cable going to the cable connector?

edit - Ah just read the other thread, it's the ground connector.   Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 01:52:38 PM by Drewid » Logged

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 03:46:46 AM »

I confirm, black is indeed ground. I try to use cables with meaningful colors [when possible].
muda
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 06:03:14 PM »

The mod is primarly targeted to connect to a Teensy, but this is good info to connect to any TTL-serial TX/RX device along with 5V power supply. (like a FTDI breakout board or Arduino)  -- connecting the 5v supply removes the need for an external power adapter brick. This can easily be powered off the USB.

Can I use simple TTL conversion board for UD 1212 too ? I have one laying around like this : http://arduino-direct.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=165  I cant use waxebee I thing  ?? how to proceed ?

Or can I use arduino-nano instead, as teensy isnt available where I live.

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 06:05:37 PM by muda » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 06:42:18 PM »

welcome muda,

The "TTL conversion board" you are talking about is not precisely the same thing.  It converts from TTL to USB (or more precisely it creates a virtual serial port inside a PC that physically connects to RX/TX TTL level lines).

In summary:

• A PC talks RS-232 level.
  • A UD-1212-R talks RS-232 level AND talks TTL-level internally
  • A Teensy talks TTL-level

Your board is TTL on one side and USB on the other side. The USB is meant to be connected to a USB host like a PC or Mac. A Teensy is not a USB host!

To avoid opening the UD-1212-R case and connect to a Teensy, what you would need is a RS-232 level to TTL-level converter (like a MAX232 chip).  I did a few searches and I was out of luck finding one the form of a "DIY breakout board".

-------

The Waxbee software is meant to run on a ATMEGA32U4 AVR cpu. Any board that has that chip should work - there are Teensy clones out there but they often have a different CPU as well.  There are other AVR processors and some of them would work (but not without modifying the code). For example, the AT90USB1286 (Teensy++ 2.0) is an example that might requires a little tweak. You need an AVR CPU that supports USB.  Arduino CPUs do not support USB**. 

**BUT! There is an exception to this rule: The Arduino UNO has 2 AVR CPUs. The second one (an Atmega8U2) supports USB and is normally used to do exactly what your board is doing (TTL to USB conversion) and they claim that it can be reprogrammed -- (but I do not know how -- would have to check that).

So in theory, you could probably reprogram that second CPU (disregarding the main Arduino AVR CPU !!).  You would also need to find the UART TX/RX TTL signals on the uno and hook yourself there (maybe will have to cut a few traces or desolder something) to talk to the UD-1212 tablet. Because I have such board at home, I might be able to try to do it to help you (and others that would be in the same situation).

I say "in theory" because I would have to check how much RAM and FLASH this AVR device supports, etc.

-------------

Where do you live to not being able to get a Teensy??
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »

Or someone else could get a teensy and pass it on.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
muda
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 07:01:28 PM »

Thanks for explanation and salutation bernard !

My living place is Lithuania. I have no problems shipping from Hong Kong or China (EU aside)  ,but USA usualy is pain int the ...  Undecided
Anyway I thing all other workarounds seems too complicated for my skills. I better need to try contacting teensy guys - possibly ill find some luck there.

Can you please see : http://www.dealextreme.com/p/designer-s-teensy-usb-development-board-for-ps3-47609 If this is gona work at all ?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 07:05:14 PM by muda » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 08:28:06 PM »

On parle fran├žais en Lithuanie?

This dealextreme board is, I believe, a Teensy 1.0 clone and use another AVR chip than the Teensy 2.0. I do not know if it will work.

Try contacting Paul (or his wife Robin) for shipping. This thing is so small !!

To do the mod, you still need some basic soldering equipement & skills (or find someone that has).
muda
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 08:39:31 PM »

Soldering isnt new to me. Just finished DIY arduino light controller for my tank. (DIY led drivers including).

In Lithuania we speak Lithuanian, by the way Smiley  Parle in Lichtenstein I thing.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 08:58:57 PM »

French: Oops! sorry, "salutation" is a french term -- but I forgot it was also an English term for a second -- duh!  Smiley

-----

AFAICT, Adafruit's Atmega32u4 Breakout Board+ will work fine. It has the same CPU. Distributed in a few European countries.

http://www.robotshop.com/eu/adafruit-atmega32u4-breakout-board.html
http://www.eztronics.nl/webshop/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/412 
http://www.robot-italy.com/product_info.php?products_id=2026
muda
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 01:17:17 PM »

Emailed Paul. Lets see how it turns.

Teensy on its way to me. Cant wait to start mod  Grin
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 08:36:15 PM by muda » Logged
benoitb
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 10:44:51 PM »

Hello. I have a GD-0912-R and I just made the modification on it.
I installed the latest wacom drivers on my win7 64bit PC but it then says when I plug the teensy No tablet found and the tablet doesn't work on the computer.

The led on the tablet is working and I could successfully flash the Teensy with the "GD-0912-R to Intuos2 9x12.tmpl" template.

Some pics of my mod:

benoitb
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 11:01:31 PM »

I got some improvements by unsinstalling the 6.30 wacom driver and installing the 6.20 that is listed as compatible with the Intuos2 tablets. It seems like they removed support recently of the Intuos2.
Now the driver sees my tablet but it still doesn't work:
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 02:30:00 AM »

Have you grounded the two serial handshake signals? I do not see clearly on the picture.  your green wire appears to go on the wrong pad -- but again, I do not see clearly on the picture.

EDIT: I saw your picture directly from the hosting site, connections appears ok.

There are ways to test this.  

#1- If you have Windows 7 64 bits, you can try my wacom hid dump tool (download from waxbee site) -- it will decode and output the packets sent as intuos2. That's a way to see if the tablet is sending anything to Windows.

#2- You can use hidlisten along with the "debug" version of the template for the GD-x. See what it outputs. Look up the forum to find how to use (and find) those tools.  

#3- The next step would be to flash the virtual serial port and use a tool like RealTerm. (again look up the forum to find examples and how-tos)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 02:48:12 AM by bernard » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: