test1
October 17, 2017, 06:03:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Converting Wacom XD-0608-R from Serial to USB  (Read 21288 times)
xuz
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2011, 07:10:39 AM »

>>  I assume this was just so it is faster to build?
Precisely. And also, it gives the fragile teensy board some structural support.

I haven't used the tablet pc in a couple of years, and in my new Windows 7 x64 rig, tablets were having couple of problems / annoyance issues.

1) In photoshop whenever I would make a brush stroke, it would have a small delay.
This was an option in the pen and tablet part of the control panel with "holding the pen for right click."
Disabling the option or just simpling turning off the tablet services solved that issue.

2) In my last reply, I mentioned the photoshop losing sensitivity. Apparently this was a prevalent issue with many other people.
They were mostly on similar system as I was on Win7 x64, Photoshop Cs5, etc.
It is discussed in the adobe support forum http://forums.adobe.com/message/2879854, with a solution.
I hope external links are allowed.
Basically, if you are having problem with losing pressure sensitivity randomly,
downgrade your driver to pro614-3_int.exe
It still loses the sensitivity once in a while,
but the frequency has been drastically reduced. (Before, it would around 1 in 5 to 10. Now it is more like 1 in 20 which is quite workable.)

Also, try:
Wacom Properties > Tablet (on the top of the window) > double click the icon (usually your tablet's version) > Tablet Mode: Recognition
(Courtesy of Devilminer from conceptart http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=199564)

Thank you very much for everything.
This forum and bernard has been amazingly helpful, and I do appreciate it much.

D.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 08:19:01 AM by xuz » Logged
nubecoder
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 09:55:35 AM »

Sorry to revive an older thread, but I just had to register and say thanks for the info provided here!

I had no trouble doing this conversion thanks to the people in this thread.

I'll probably post up some pics I took along the way later.

Once again thanks for the info and software (waxbee)!

=]

santiniuk
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 12:18:38 PM »

Hi,

Really interested in trying this conversion. Would like to see the pictures and how you did it.

Mine is a XD-0608-R

Many thanks
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 06:28:42 PM »

Hi santiniuk, there is already photos and explanations in this very thread (!).  Read and study carefully (and there are other threads with similar conversion that you can also read). If you have a specific question, you can ask freely here.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 06:31:17 PM by bernard » Logged
santiniuk
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 08:22:39 PM »

Hi Bernard, thanks I posted then realised the pictures where already here Smiley

I'm going to give the conversion a go. In fact I was having a clear out when I found my old Wacom. Just a shame it's gathering dust but hopefully if I can get my hands on a teensy 2 It can get a fresh life.

A quick hunt for a U.K supplier isn't showing much. Any idea where I can purchase one ?

Thank You.

Shaun
santiniuk
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 10:31:18 PM »

Just answering my own question....

Placed the order with PJRC so just a waiting game now...

Thanks

Shaun
santiniuk
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 06:20:59 PM »

Hi again,

Just thought I'd complete my posting.

I highly recommend PJRC. The Teensy 2 arrived today in the U.K, so only 16 days to get here air post.

Install went smoothly and I wanted to see if I could make everything self contained. The good news is there is a pocket that fits the Teensy board like a glove, a couple of small ribs to shave off and the mini usb connector is clearly accessible allowing the lead to be removed if required.

No pics of the install, but a couple at the end to show the principle.

Software installed perfect and I'm now using the tablet in Photoshop so far it appears to be fine.

Many thanks for providing the install info. The tablet is saved from the scrap heap Smiley

Cheers

* 2.jpg (242.41 KB, 1338x1098 - viewed 526 times.)

* 3.jpg (176.82 KB, 768x1024 - viewed 491 times.)
santiniuk
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 12:28:53 AM »

Folks,

A question. I also have a mouse that came with the tablet.

I'm using drivers DRIVER 6.20-W5 RC FOR WINDOWS 7, VISTA (32 AND 64 BIT) & XP (32 AND 64 BIT)

But the mouse buttons don't work. The mouse movement does appear on screen. Should the buttons work?

Everything with the pen seems to work fine.

Thanks

Shaun
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2012, 02:16:12 AM »

Most likely an issue in Waxbee.  What is the model of the mouse?

Do you really like using this type of mouse? 
santiniuk
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2012, 10:01:58 AM »

Bernard,

The mouse is a XC-100-00

It's truly awful Smiley

I cannot see me using it but I was more concerned I had done something wrong.

Thanks
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2012, 05:40:24 PM »

I have exactly that mouse over here, I could certainly invest time to fix Waxbee to make the button works, but frankly, using the mouse on a Wacom pad is technically not good. So unless someone is *really* using it or is willing to invest time doing it, I will focus on other things in my life. For tablets, the only "mouse" that works nicely is called a "lens cursor" -- that is a whole different story.

Why the concept of a Wacom mouse is broken? Well, there is a true technical reason and that is why you can't control the pointer like you think you would with a normal mouse. The main problem is that a mouse is not always pointing straight up all the way, it changes direction. With a wacom tablet, the "tablet" maps to the screen and thus "indicates" the direction. So even if your mouse is angled, it is still "virtually" pointing up. So you think your are going side ways in a straight line with your mouse but in reality you are angled and doing a slight curve in relation to your hand. On the screen it will goes in a straight line with a normal mouse, but since you are really "angled" and also doing a "curve" it will draw an "angled curve" when using the Wacom tablet.  In other words, the pointer is totally not following where you want it to go. 

In technical terms, (thinking about "vectors" here) the "frame of reference" is the tablet with a Wacom mouse, but for a normal mouse, it is the mouse itself.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 05:44:28 PM by bernard » Logged
santiniuk
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 12:51:57 AM »

Bernard,

Thanks for the update. Your work is very much appreciated.

My tablet is working perfect and it is good to now retire the external PSU.

All the best.
santiniuk
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2012, 09:28:04 PM »

Hi Just thought I'd drop in and say I noticed that I noticed a new version of waxbee released.

waxbee-0-11c.zip

I have just upgraded and all seems ok.

More surprising the mouse that was gathering dust on my desk also works now Smiley

An excellent upgrade for an ageing tablet. Thanks Bernard !
Alan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2013, 05:33:43 PM »

Success.
What I did differently is that I only cut the Vcc pin of the ADM chip and connected the wires on the pins at PDUSBD12, use a multimeter to find out which pin is connected to the pins of ADM, I forgot to document it, but it's easy to find out.

I used a glue pistol to glue the board top left of the tablet Smiley
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2013, 05:43:33 PM »

Alan, if I understand correctly, in your setup you still have the ADM202 chip connected: just not powered (Vcc).  I am not an EE guy and you can prove me wrong, but AFAIK, these devices don't suddenly float their inputs/outputs because the VCC is unconnected, so I have no idea if this creates a "stress" of some sort or not.

About documenting: You could just take a picture of your final mod, so you do not really need to document anything else if we can follow the wires and distinguish the pins.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: