Bongofish
December 06, 2019, 04:16:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reasons a monitor won't turn on.  (Read 7805 times)
harberst
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 03:00:58 PM »

The monitor's a dell IN1910NF.

Removing the backlight and shining a flashlight through the layers simply results in a dim flashlight spot.  One led is the power indicator, the other I don't think does anything (now). The power button strip with the leds was scavenged from another monitor (don't remember the type) that had a bad display.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 03:12:43 PM by harberst » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 03:44:10 PM »

From another monitor? How did you know that it would work out? These are typically different from one model to the other. That means the buttons and leds might not even be fully compatible!? The green led might not even be connected to the "led" but to some other thing that has power.  Also that would explain why you cannot even get the OSD menu to appear.  I assume you do not have access to the original buttons (it was in the monitor bezel I suppose)?

Did any of the button worked -- I mean one of the button acts as a power button? Have you seen *any* special activity on the led or was it rock-solid lit all the way?

Dell IN1910NF:  Looked up the user manual. That is a 18.5 inches, 1366x768 resolution. There is an OSD menu in there.  There are 5 buttons and only "one" led (under the power button). Note that sometimes, those leds are actually 2 leds in one. For example: green and red so they can show up to 3 colors (green, red and yellow (mixed color)).

Actually, I think there is actually supposed to be 2 leds in there. I say this because the led can be either "Off", "Amber" or "White".  (according to a little table in the user manual).  This led is the only reliable output by which the logic circuit can "talk" to us and often they would blink specially to tell us of an error status.  Now in your case, it might not even be connected correctly and maybe we are missing some "info".

If you ever find the original button & led strip it might help a little, but probably not that much I agree (since it used to work before). Understand that as of now, I have absolutely nothing else to say to help you out. I mean, I assume you do not have a multimeter, right?
harberst
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 08:26:33 PM »

The problem with the original button and & led strip is that a wire snapped right at the connection (unsolderable) so it had to be replaced somehow.  I didn't  know it would work, but that was a case of "well, I can't break it any worse than it is so might as well try."  And it did work as intended, until all of this mess started. 

The power button works yes, and the led has been "rock-solid lit all the way."

And you're right to assume that I don't have a multimeter. Well, thank you again for your help.  I guess it's back to the drawing board for me.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: