test1
September 20, 2017, 06:27:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Converting Wacom UD-1212-R from Serial to USB  (Read 53087 times)
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 01:30:01 PM »

There is already a XD-0608-R thread with all the internal details and hook points. http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=1928.0

The question about using an "UART-USB bridge" was also answered in more detail here: http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=1927.msg15014#msg15014
luxeomni

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 02:25:13 AM »

Hi Bernard, ( c 'est jeremie le magicien Wink).

I've got a problem using the axiotron pen on the converted UD1212R. Everything is working fine with the original U-1212r Stylus, but when using the axiotron stylus, i ve got some random clicks and double clicks, drag etc. The strange thing is that on the " status" LED from the tablet everyhing is normal, only blinking green when pressed, but on my desktop on windows ive got clicks and double clicks, but it moves fine, and when i actually press it click normally.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 02:52:50 AM »

Maybe try to tune the pen -- the tune potentiometer is typically under the side switch -- I am not sure how to dismantle that pen -- I think someone did that pen precisely -- would have to search that.   The side switch typically you can just "pull" out.  A small flat screwdriver will be needed to turn the pot. Rotate it a tiny little bit and try to see if the pen is better or worse. Remember the original position because if that pot has no effect, it might actually have an effect when something is activated and you are not activating it (pressure, a button, etc.)  So put it back as close as possible to where it was.

Do you have the same problem with the eraser as well?   The eraser is a completely separate pen -- when you have an eraser on your pen, you actually have two, completely separate, pens (well, with the UD-* and tabletPC technology at least).

http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=1721.msg12959#msg12959   This is not the Axiotron pen, but it helps to see something similar.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 03:08:23 AM by bernard » Logged
luxeomni

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2011, 03:23:28 AM »

yep, i tweaked the knobs and it worked, i have to do it to the eraser side too because i got the problem on the two sides Wink.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 03:33:29 AM »

if both had the same problem maybe that means they were tweaked to a frequency that is not exactly yours. That means other people might get into the same issue.
muda
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2011, 04:04:47 PM »

I am getting this screen whenever I try upload new fw to teensy. What I do wrong ?  All is soldered and board green light reacts to pen input.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 04:13:00 PM »

This is an internal DLL loading issue.  This used to happen with older version and if you were not running Java 64 bit version. I am supposed to have fixed this.  You have the latest WaxBee version? Are you running Windows 64 bits?  if so, are you running Java 64 bits?

muda
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2011, 09:33:11 PM »

Used newest version and all worked nicely. Enjoying new born Wacom now.

Big thanks Bernard.  Great job !
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 01:11:06 AM »

Very cool! Yet another happy customer. Cool
red_five
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2011, 10:39:57 PM »

I just ordered my Teensy, and am eagerly awaiting it's arrival. I have a UD-1212-R Digitizer II, and I've already done most of the prep work on the tablet driver board, except that I haven't yet removed the 5v regulator near where the instructions say to solder the +5v supply from the Teensy. I have also ordered a USB mini-B to standard B panel-mount jack; my thought is to attach the Teensy directly to the driver board where the serial port and power switch used to be (with appropriate insulation), and extend the cable to the back of the tablet using the panel mount. I also plan to hook up an external reset button to mount near the new USB jack, then cover up the original holes for the serial port and switch.

As I was looking around the driver board, I noticed that mine has a 2-pin connector on the right side of the board, about 1/3 of the way up from the power switch. One pin is grounded, and the other pin seems to hook into the 5v rail of the driver board, except that it goes through the voltage regulator. Once I remove the regulator, I might see if I can jump pads 1&3 and try to inject 5v through that connector. It might be a bit easier to deal with.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2011, 02:40:52 AM »

welcome red_five,

That "power" connector seems indeed promising. I found that it was more trouble dealing with it than soldering the power directly. There are many spots on the board to inject the 5V power and thus it is a no brainer.

Post some photos! Smiley

Do you know what is the ROM version of your UD-1212-R?  (normally it is written on a white sticker on the EEPROM chip -- UD1212 xxxx)

red_five
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2011, 06:01:35 AM »

The ROM version looks like 14200. I've already removed the serial port, the power switch, and the MC145406, but still need to pull the 5v regulator. I've confirmed that the tablet still powers up using USB power only, and seems to detect the pen as well. I tore up one of the necessary pads as I was desoldering the MC145406, but I think I've found vias and alternate solder pads, so hopefully I can still make it work.

Bernard, I saw that you've started work on making the button strip work on the 1218, and I would be interested in helping continue that, and port it to the 1212 too. Once I've gotten my Teensy and have finished the wiring, of course.

Oh, and here's a pic of the current state.

* IMG_1709.JPG (320.39 KB. 800x600 - viewed 702 times.)

bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2011, 06:31:46 AM »

btw, are you doing a Simtiq or just converting a tablet? 

button strip:  Yeah, I started doing something about Buttons that is not done (and it not going very fast I must admit). Question here what do you like to do exactly with the button strip?   Do you want to piggy back onto the ultrapad "built-in buttons" or define arbitrary regions (within the active area) to "create" virtual buttons?  I assume you would want to map them to the Intuos2 buttons so it is configurable in the Wacom driver.  The UD-1212 and UD-1218 models have a "built-in" button strip. The intuos2 tablets do not have that, they just have a "sticker" on top of a section of the active area: It is "mapped" to virtual buttons within the Wacom driver. The more recent models, I believe, completely dropped the button strip in favor of hard buttons/keys. So you can use fingers to press on them in parallel to using the pen. (no need to move the pen all the way up to access those menu strip).

So make sure you understand really what you want in terms of menu strip/side commands.

What OS are you running btw?

This is open source software and I welcome anyone to contribute. I can certainly give out hints on what we could do to achieve your goal.

red_five
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2011, 06:57:19 AM »

I'm just converting a tablet to USB, not trying to build a simtiq. I'm running Ubuntu 10.10. If it's possible, I'd like to see if I could activate the built-in buttons on the UD-1212, though defining arbitrary regions within the active area might be useful for an idea I had related to Ardour, but that's just pie in the sky for right now.

The built-in buttons include some standard application functions (cut, paste, open, save, etc.), abs/rel mode switch, pressure change, and some that look like they can be remapped on the fly (when using the original Windows software, no doubt). At this point, I'd just be happy to have the tablet working and add the buttons later.

BTW, I did just get the 5v regulator removed and a jumper soldered onto it's former connections. Hooking that 2-pin connector to USB power worked very nicely. Pic later; it's time to shut down for the night.

EDIT: Here's a pic with the 5v regulator removed and replaced with a jumper, enabling test powerups using the 2-pin connector and a hacked USB cable.

* driver board - after regulator removal.jpg (56.54 KB. 428x215 - viewed 734 times.)

« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 03:51:41 AM by red_five » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2011, 02:33:38 PM »

Awesome!  I remember vaguelly there was what looked like a 0 ohm pad to "jump" the regulator entirely.  One way of the other, there are so many ways to connect the USB 5V.

Note: The Waxbee config utility should, in theory, work from Ubuntu, but not the programming part. That is no real issue, you can always use Paul's Teensy Loader utility to do the programming portion. (unless you would donate some time to compile a binary .dll for this community  Wink ).   In anyways, tell me the status of that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: