Bongofish
December 15, 2019, 11:36:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Converting Wacom UD-1212-R from Serial to USB  (Read 82983 times)
red_five
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2011, 06:52:13 AM »

Success! I got my Teensy today, and got everything put together. I configured and loaded waxbee as soon as I opened the package. Paul's Teensy loader did the trick very nicely.

1. I decided to go with a mounted panel jack, rather than zip-tie the Teensy to the back of the shell. My Dremel had the necessary holes created in short order.

* base - panel jack.jpg (35.94 KB. 352x240 - viewed 591 times.)

2. When I removed the MC145406, I was able to see that pin 15 had a trace which contained a test point. So I jumped that test point to the nearest ground via, then jumped together the pads for pins 13 and 15. Sorted!

* driver board - ground connections.jpg (148.73 KB. 401x411 - viewed 602 times.)

3. Time to wire up pins 10 & 11 to D2 and D3 on the Teensy, respectively. I had mentioned previously that I damaged the pad for pin 10. So I soldered the lead to the correct side of the SMD resistor on that pathway. Pin 11 was intact, so I had no trouble with that.

* driver board - almost done.jpg (328.38 KB. 736x744 - viewed 588 times.)

4. Driver board and Teensy complete! Mounted the Teensy in the space for the former serial port with some double-stick tape, which also helps keep the 2 data leads secured. The power test harness I made for use with that 2-pin connector was also mounted to the appropriate locations on the Teensy.

* driver board - finished.jpg (260.8 KB. 600x800 - viewed 656 times.)

I had to remove some plastic from the shell base for the panel mount jack on the outside, and inside for the short pigtail to the Teensy. Then I got everything put back together, hooked it up to my laptop, and proceeded to draw this in the GIMP!

* drawing.jpg (47.78 KB. 480x270 - viewed 555 times.)

(I never said I was an artist...)

I've noticed a few things during my first use:
1. Because waxbee masquerades as an Intuos, I lose access to the top 48px or so of my screen when my pen goes into the hardware buttons area. I'm sure I could adjust the config to resolve this.
2. The eraser acts like another pen, often with a larger brush than I'm using for the drawing end. (It seems this confusion only happens in GIMP. Xournal, a simple drawing/journal program, actually recognizes the eraser just fine.)
3. Even though the waxbee config indicated it was configured for the larger of my dual screens, it actually works across both monitors. This makes all my horizontal strokes come out longer than I actually draw them.

Once I reassembled everything, I noticed that the Teensy's reset button was well within reach of an appropriate tool inside the opening for the former serial port. However, I may eventually close up that hole and the one for the old power switch, and install a nice little momentary reset switch into the extra hole I accidentally made for the panel jack.

All in all, I'm pleased with how easy it was, even considering that I tore up one of the necessary solder pads when I removed the MC145406.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 05:28:49 PM by red_five » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2011, 05:52:54 PM »

The top 48 pixels of the screen is not accessible?  Works perfectly here.

Aspect Ratio:

Your tablet model has an aspect ratio, the intuos2 model has an aspect ratio and your screen has an aspect ratio. Potentially all different. You have to take all 3 into consideration when doing the mapping. If the Intuos2 aspect is different than your tablet aspect (your tablet is a 12x12 thus it is "square"), then you cannot let Wacom do the aspect ratio computation for you since it has the "wrong" physical values (i.e. cropping the active area to fit your screen aspect ratio).  In the config, you could reduce your tablet active area in height to fit the intuos2 aspect ratio, then in the Wacom driver, you could tell it to keep proportions -- which might crop your active area even more. You can alternatively do your own double-cropping computation and maximize your tablet surface. (don't use "keep proportion" in the wacom driver).

red_five
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2011, 05:58:55 PM »

I noticed in the waxbee raw configuration that it had a top Y setting of 1200. Also, since this is a UD-1212, the button strip on the top is actually counted as buttons, not as active tablet area. So should I be able to edit the top Y value, perhaps increasing it? As far as the Wacom driver is concerned, I just installed it with whatever default values it uses; I haven't changed any of the settings it uses.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2011, 06:06:41 PM »

UD-1212:  You cannot reuse the button strip as active area. The tablet reports "button clicks" in that area, not pen positions.  

Intuos2:  Contrary to the UD-1212, the button area (1.2 cm from the top, hence the 1200 value) is reported by the tablet with pen position and thus makes it an "active area".  BUT the wacom driver (in Windows / Mac) is interpreting it as buttons, that is why I had to map the active area "below" the button area.  NOTE: on Linux, the driver is not made by Wacom and may act differently.  You can try to simply put 0 instead of 1200 to see if the button strip is ignored in the ubuntu driver.  That might be why you have that 48px gap.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 01:09:11 AM by bernard » Logged
red_five
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2011, 06:14:32 PM »

Thanks, bernard! Changing the top Y value to 0 did the trick. I have the full vertical space available now on my screen.
red_five
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2011, 05:11:12 AM »

I realized something else, about GIMP. It is recognizing the stylus tip and eraser as separate devices, as it should. In reading several GIMP-related forums, I realized that the GIMP defaults the stylus and the eraser to the same tool, the paintbrush. You have to set the eraser to use the erase tool using a keystroke as the eraser is in contact with the tablet, or at least hovering in range.
red_five
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2011, 06:29:30 AM »

Bernard, as I understand it, the UD-1212-R sends button presses as actual button IDs or something like that, while the Intuos2 sends coordinates which are mapped within the driver to correspond to a particular button. With that being the case, and the fact that the button area on the UD-1212-R is not classified as an active area like it is on the Intuos2, what are your thoughts on mapping the 1212's buttons to Intuos2 buttons? Do you think it's possible to translate the 1212's button IDs into specific XY locations that would correspond with Intuos2 buttons? In looking at your skeleton for supporting the buttons on the 1218, I wasn't really able to determine how you thought the button emulation/translation might work.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2011, 08:32:22 AM »

yes, that was the idea:  Essentially to "emulate" a simple pen operation to be recognized as the "same" button by the Wacom driver.  I already advanced on doing that and partially mapped the coordinates but some of the code is missing. Depending on the model of the intuos2, the mapping varies.  The button spacing is not all equal (especially on the right side of the intuos2 board).

The faked pen operation would involve a pen down and then a pen up at the center of the "virtual intuos2 button area". I also need to make sure that if there is already a stroke operation going on, to cancel it (and make sure it can be restarted after). That will break the ongoing stroke.

The idea is to support any type of "button input" -- including arbitrary rectangle areas on the original tablet configurable with WaxBee Config or to monitor specified Teensy pins to enable "real" hardware switches/keys. If you use a separate key, then the "current stroke" will be broken in two parts.

The intuos2 is, I think, the only tablet series that supports two devices at the same time (dual track) -- So in theory -- I could use a "second tool" to do that "button operation" without disturbing the original tool and its ongoing stroke. I have not played with dual track yet.
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2011, 02:11:30 PM »

So might it be feasible to have a rectangle that acts like a touch strip? Use it for brush size for example.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2011, 05:15:34 PM »

You mean have a region that could output a "variable" or "analog" value?  Awesome idea!

Well, the intuos2 does not have any "analog" thingy or touch strip -- it only has "buttons".  We would have to emulate a tablet that has something similar (Intuos4?).  (Another approach is to use a second Teensy and create another USB device -- that talks to the first one -- and act as something else that could do that touch strip functionality).

xfactor
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2012, 07:55:55 AM »

So I stumbled across this site, have a working UD-1212-R, read and re-read all the posts to feel comfortable enough to do the operation. Teensy arrives and hey, I even managed to unsolder the MC145406 w/o having to "dremel" it off the board. Everything is wired according to the pictures, solder work checks out fine. Any idea why I end up with "Human Interface Devices" instead of Intuos in both XP and 7 Device Managers? I ran the waxbee.jar, selected the 1212 to Intuos, ran Firmware/Program Device and pressed the button on the Teensy. The LED on the tablet toggles between green and orange but there is absolutely no cursor response. Totally stumped. Undecided
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2012, 09:18:12 AM »

Hello xfactor, stumbled and stumped.

First question: You have installed the Wacom drivers for the Intuos2, right?

"HID" (or Human Interface Device) is a type of USB device.  All mouses, joysticks, trackball, touch pads and incidentally Wacom tablets are HID devices.

The (normal) Wacom tablets "emulate" a standard HID Mouse so it "works without drivers". I skipped doing that in WaxBee, so you will have a mouse that never moves. But as soon as you have the Wacom driver installed, this "mouse mode" is no longer used so stuff should work normally.

There are many things we can do to troubleshoot your stuff. Answer the first question, and we will see if more is required to do.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 09:26:53 AM by bernard » Logged
xfactor
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2012, 05:06:02 AM »

Thanks for the prompt reply! No, I hadn't installed the Intuos driver, however, I did so on both the XP and 7. I now see the Wacom drivers appear under the HID in the Device Manager. Both results are a mouse/cursor that never moves. At least the problem is consistent on both operating systems and appears to be isolated to the tablet. I'm ready to revisit the wiring. Btw, the on/off switch and serial port were both removed in the initial operation.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2012, 06:14:06 AM »

Take a global picture showing all the wires and then take a close shot of the different areas (Teensy, 5v regulator, around the MC145406, etc.).

It is good that you removed the power switch and serial connector. They just took space anyways.
xfactor
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2012, 06:30:37 AM »

No prob on the photo shoot. I'll see about getting it done soon. Thanks again!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: