Bongofish
August 23, 2019, 08:59:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Converting Wacom UD-1212-R from Serial to USB  (Read 80336 times)
LastSix
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2012, 07:59:54 PM »

I had the chance to test my tablet and have a similar problem to xfactor. The status light blinks whenever I use the pen, but the computer sees nothing more that a generic USB device.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2012, 08:22:31 PM »

Status light:  on the Teensy or the Tablet?

I assume you installed the Wacom Drivers for the Intuos2 and you properly ran WaxBee, pick the appropriate template and programmed your Teensy, right?

Take pictures the same way I asked for xfactor.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 09:48:14 PM by bernard » Logged
LastSix
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2012, 10:17:58 PM »

Yes, I have Intuos2 drivers installed.

The light: on the wacom tablet.

As far as I know I programmed the teensy right.
I can try reprogramming it again.

I can take more if needed.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 10:22:57 PM by LastSix » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2012, 02:39:19 AM »

Well, the idea was to see the detail of the soldering. I understand that you have hot glue in there, but try to give me a chance of seeing something, I may get lucky and see something wrong (?)

------------

the next thing to do is try the debug mode. Run the HID listen utility ( http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/hid_listen.html ). From waxbee, find and program a "Debug" template for your tablet. Copy me what you see in the hid listen output.

------------

When checking the connections, (using a multimeter in continuity mode) check that there is no cross-overs as well -- to do that with the hot glue, you can try to probe nearby vias or pads that are connected to the same pins or nearby pins.

Tell me which is which between the green wire and the white wire on the Teensy side?

------------

After that next thing to do is to try to check the serial port. Watch out, dense info following. (I should copy that to a sticky topic instead of repeating myself over and over!). So download the virtual serial port driver .hex file from here http://code.google.com/p/waxbee/downloads/list. Reprogram the Teensy with this .hex file (using the Teensy Loader from http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/loader.html). Then follow the instructions here http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/usb_serial.html to properly setup Windows to use it.  With this, you will be able to talk directly to your tablet (if well connected).  Now get yourself RealTerm set the baud rate to 9600, No parity, 8 bits, 1 stop bit, Display as Ascii, Half Duplex. Open the "COM" port number that the virtual serial driver installed.  Make sure you power off and power on the tablet so the baud rate resets to 9600 bauds.   To know the COM port that is currently present in Windows, go to device manager and look open the "Ports (COM & LPT)". You can watch it as you unplug and re-plug the USB cable.  When you set a certain baud rate speed,  the usb driver outputs "9600" or "19200" or "38400"

Some commands to try out:

~#

and

~C

also try to move the pen. If you see nothing, try starting it with the command "ST". If you see binary gibberish appearing when you move the pen, then you can switch to Hex+space mode.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 05:44:40 AM by bernard » Logged
LastSix
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2012, 11:27:31 PM »

Yeah, sorry about the glue, the idea was to insulate the solder or something like that.

Wires: white is TXD; green is RXD

HID Listen: played with the pen and everything was a variation of this

Waiting for device:...
Listening:
- Enter prox =Pen

[USB Packet - In Range packet, eraser=0]
 -Exit prox
[USB Packet - Out of Range packet, (all zeros)]
proxOutTrigger()
 -Enter prox =Eraser

[USB Packet - In Range packet, eraser=1]
 -Exit prox

[USB Packet - Out of Range packet, (all zeros)]
proxOutTrigger()
 -Enter prox =Pen

Serial test: RealTerm wont work on 64x or something so I used a program called HyperTerminal

~#UD-1212-R00 V1.5-4
I don't know if it was the program but ~C didn't seem to do anything
Moving and using the pen did result in random gibberish.

I tried the tablet on a 32x XP and had the same result. I also noticed I can't adjust tablet settings unless it is plugged in, so it kinda knows something is there.
Would a faulty transmission wire to the teensy cause such symptoms? I know the tablet is getting power and at least communicates on some level.

I may need to re-check soldering. If needed is there an alternate solder point for the number 11 foot on the mc145406?
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2012, 01:00:08 AM »

You have to press enter after most commands like ~C

binary gibberish -- is "normal" when moving the pen. Well, normal in the sense that it is binary. To see if this is really random or not, turn the display to Hex+space, you should see the data in "hexadecimal form". Copy me the output.

When in debug mode, when you moved the pen, did it appear to " match " the text you saw? (out of prox is when the pen goes out, eraser=1 is when you use the eraser, etc.)

It is a bit strange that you appear to be able to "talk" to the tablet -- yet something does not work. You said you installed the intuos2 drivers.  You picked the UD-1212-R to XD-1212-U (intuos2 12x12) template, right?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 01:23:10 AM by bernard » Logged
LastSix
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2012, 03:06:19 AM »

Waxbee seemed pretty straightforward, I programmed it with the right template, inside and outside waxbee.

Alright, got RealTerm working.
~#UD-1212-R00 V1.5-4
~C15240,15240

Hex log for RealTerm corresponds to:
pen hover from upper left to lower right diagonally
pen out
pen in
pen touch in center
pen buttons and then eraser in center

Hex Dump
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=uBfMGgr3

Would a damaged connection result in partial communication, or a completely non-functional wacom?
Like if the RXD was okay but the TXD was damaged.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2012, 04:15:12 AM »

Your serial connection appears to be perfect. Binary data appears good (at a glance). Your tablet model is exactly the same as mine (same EPROM version).  USB connection is fine since you got all that data.

So... it should work!?!  There isn't much to it frankly. Are you sure you have the Intuos2 Wacom drivers in Windows properly installed(?).  If you program your board (in UD-1212-R to Intuos2 12x12 emulation), can you run the Wacom Tablet Properties tool?  if so, can you go into the About... dialog and then into the "Diagnostic" dialog?  Then do you see something in there while moving the pen? You should see the X/Y position in mm and the % pressure if you touch the pen, you should see the button 1/2 when pressing the side switches or using the eraser, etc. Do you see all that activity?  If yes, something is wrong with the driver setup since all the data is getting there.

That Wacom configuration tool is what you see in the control panel I believe but you can run it standalone as well. Typically located here: "C:\Program Files\Tablet\Wacom\Professional_CPL.exe".  If you cannot run it (because it does not find a proper tablet) try usbview.exe

---

In RealTerm, you could try the following command, and then the "binary dumps" should turn into 9 bytes (instead of 7 bytes) it will also change for 19200 bauds (you need to re-open the port at that speed to continue seeing something tangible). This will better test the serial, but chances are it is all fine. With version 1.3+ you have access to Tilt data and this is what these 2 extra bytes are for (your version is 1.5-4).  Each packet often starts with "E0". You can count the number of bytes in a packet by looking up E0 or a similar value.

~*F203C810,000,00,2540,2540
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 04:35:14 AM by bernard » Logged
LastSix
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2012, 03:05:00 AM »

So, I tried different versions of the wacom drivers and even tried the tablet on someone's mac laptop, but nothing worked.

I noticed you released waxbee 0-11 about two days ago and downloaded it (was using 0-10c). I loaded up my teensy with a template; and now... I have basic tablet functionality.
I haven't tested much or calibrated anything, but the utility is tracking pen tilt, pressure, ect. The eraser also registers as a pen tip so far (that normal for waxbee+axiotron pen?).

Bernard you have been a great help and I am just as confused as you are.
boomandvibe

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2012, 04:38:28 AM »

Hello guys. I have followed the guide and finished connecting Teensy to the Wacom board but when I plug in the USB, none of the two LED lights turn on.

They worked fine before. Teensy showed orange light, and Wacom showed orange-to-green light whenever I used the pen.

I tried plugging Teensy in and ran the waxbee config utility and when it asks me to press the button on the Teensy, I press the button but nothing happens.

Is my Teensy dead? Did I accidentally broke a component with soldering iron? I barely even touched the board, and I managed to put solder very quickly in for like a couple seconds....

What should I do?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 04:50:30 AM by boomandvibe » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2012, 05:48:44 AM »

@LastSix:  Now that the diagnostic utility is registering the pen, does it finally move the mouse??  For the eraser, I do not remember (I am far from home at the moment and can't try it out). Axiotron pen is the same as all the ultrapens, there should not be a difference.  It is possible that in 0.11 we introduced an issue with the eraser (I am not saying that we did, I am just saying that it is possible that we did since we played in a sensitive area of the code that handles tools and the eraser is one of the tool). For now, let's focus on the basic pen if possible.

------------

@boomandvibe: I am not sure what you followed, but I try to mention to always test stuff along the way, never do all in one shot. (so you know your last step was the wrong one when something does not work). Like, you test your board before altering it. Then solder the Ground and 5V and test to see if the board still reacts normally with the pen (led) and then do the serial connections mod. You can test at each step as well. You can test it with a multi-meter to see if you actually see 5V coming out of the teensy VCC?  If not, unconnect it all, you may have a short in there?

Please, take a global photo showing all the wires at once and then detailled photos of the various soldering areas, clear enough so we see what's there. I might see something you do not see. Also, make sure you test your soldering connectinos using a multimeter -- including testing that it does not connect nearby circuits.

If you run usbview (link) and you then connect/disconnect the Teesny, do you see anything appearing/disappearing? You should see some sort of device. If you press the teensy reset button, you should see it change as well.
boomandvibe

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2012, 06:14:34 AM »

I don't have a camera to take pictures with. My sister lost the battery charger for it twice and I haven't bothered to get another one. I'll get the charger asap.

I used the USBview but I don't see anything changing. The computer's not recognizing at all. The led light on Teensy is dead. It won't turn on. Is it supposed to be like that?
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2012, 06:17:04 AM »

nope.  You have multi-meter?  Test if you get 5V.  (probe DC voltage between VCC and GND)
LastSix
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2012, 06:33:36 AM »

Yeah, as mentioned the tablet is working as it should now with 0-11 (unlike 0-10c). I don't know to what extent because I haven't had time to fool around with the settings much. I may yet find a way to fix the eraser. So far I have just tried the pen in photoshop.
boomandvibe

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2012, 07:58:38 AM »

nope.  You have multi-meter?  Test if you get 5V.  (probe DC voltage between VCC and GND)

my multimeter says 0.45V. I just read your other post. What exactly am I looking for to find the culprit on the teensy board? Should I desolder all the wires from teensy then try plugging in? How do I find what's wrong on the board using the multimeter?

UPDATE: I removed all the wires and plugged teensy into pc and led shows up. Thank goodness. Ill go step by step.

UPDATE2: I'm the stupidest person in the world. Previously, I've soldered 5v to RST. I mixed up the position of VCC with RST. lights turn on now. Will update more once I finish software. Sorry bernard

UPDATE3: I installed Intuos2 driver and it WORKS!!!!! I'm really crying right now. I spent 13 hours trying to get this work. WAHHHHH.

One thing though, the eraser doesn't seem to be working.  Also, how should I set the tablet area so that when I lay Dell 1503fp 15 inch monitor on top of it, the region will match up? having hard time setting the top to bottom area.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 09:17:42 AM by boomandvibe » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: