test1
June 27, 2017, 03:02:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Repairing my eclipse avn 5435 head unit  (Read 5392 times)
pkrainert
New Poster

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2011, 06:56:06 PM »

Hey guys this is my first post,

I am attempting to fix my broken head unit. Basically all I need to do is replace the Flat Flex Cable connector on one of the circuit boards. When I was inserting the flex cable into the connector I tried to push the clip in that holds the cable in place but it snapped so I need to replace it. I found a little guide on here explaining how to find out what pitch the cable is.

When I get home I will take a picture and post it to see if anyone has any insight for me since this kind of thing is sort of new to me. I have done soldering in the past but never on something like this.

Is there a certain store I can order the ffc cable connector from?
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 09:01:05 PM »

You need to replace and solder a FFC connector?  I hope it is 1mm or bigger.  It is not for the faint of heart. This is dense stuff.

It is possible -- some have done it.   First tell us the pitch and the number of pins.  Count the pins, measure the width of the cable (in millimeters). Divide. It should be 2.0mm, 1.0mm, 0.5mm, 0.4mm, etc.  -- an even number like that.

For the stores selling these, well digi-key, mouser, future or any other electronic supplier.  You can also buy a pack of 10,000 on a tape reel. Smiley

Watch that it is the same mechanical specs.  In particular, that the contacts are on the same side (top or bottom).  Else it will not work.

pkrainert
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 09:12:20 PM »

Yes the connector is bad and I need to desolder it and solder a new one on. When I get home I will check for pitch and number of pins.

It is about 2 inches wide so that is what roughly 50+ mm  its a pretty thick one.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: