test1
October 21, 2017, 10:18:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: 21.5' Cintuos [WIP]  (Read 38791 times)
Rik!

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2011, 01:26:15 AM »

Hello everybody. I'm Rik, 27 years old from France and.. today I started my  Cintuos project.

So it's :

-An intuos3 A3 wide
-A 21.5 inches LG IPS226 ( Yes it's IPS and LED backlight, and also external powerbrick ! Yay!)
-A custom case made of I-don't-know-what-for-the-moment. (I guess plexiglas)
-An ergotron arm.

So tonight I disasembled both screen and intuos3. The LG screen was a bit tricky to dismantle but I finally  managed to do it with not too much damages.

I had some troubles making the LED work again but it's just because I repluged the FFC in the wrong way. ( BTW I burned my fingers with that LEDs ... who said that they were not hot Huh??)
The intuos 3 A3 is pretty big and I'dlike to gain room by changing the place of the expresskeys, Is that possible ? ( especially for the touch strips)

Well, I'll post photos later.

[EDIT] : I just did test the screen over the intuos and ... It works !!! and way better than I imagined... Jitter = ZERO !!! this screen is definitely the perfect screen for a DIY cintiq ! Hooray !

[EDIT2] : Well I broke the LED bar... can't find a good replacement. I just bought a new screen.

Cost so far :

- used Intuos3 A3 : 270€
- brand new LG IPS226V : 179€ ( broken LED )
- brand new LG IPS226V again : 136€
- Longer FFCs for led : 5€
- FFC + PCB for the screen at DIY beamer : 24€
- Plexiglass for the casing :  55€
- Paint for the case : 8€
- 22" screen protection film : 9€

TOTAL = 686€

« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 03:00:23 PM by Rik! » Logged
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 01:11:45 PM »

That's very good news on getting no jitter Smiley

Did you take any photos of stripping the LG? 

Right - so moving the express keys is possible.  If I remember correctly the board they are on is glued into the case, but can be pulled off if you are careful. It might be worth looking through the successful Intuos 3 builds to see if anyone mentions it.

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Rik!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 02:15:47 PM »

Actually I didn't took photos because it was dark at night and I my camera and cellphone were out of battery. Sad

But it's noting complicated. I just removed all I could ! The hardest part was to open the case, but I used the bottle/screen opener and than everything went good ! Smiley

The inside of the monitor is actually pretty simple since the power is external.

My problem now is that the LEDs are at the bottom of the screen and the controller is on the upper side so I have to find a longer FFC to conect the LEDs.

Anyway, I'll try to do a fake WIP photos Smiley

Does anyone know were I can find a 6pin 7mm wide FFC ? more than 300mm long would be great ! I found one on Ebay but it's pretty expensive !

Demontiq

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 06:37:22 PM »

Hey rik! You could try conrad, they sometimes have some good pars at good value.
Great news on the jitter! You might want to try putting the lcd controller board underneath the wacom while its on to see if that causes any jitter if you haven't already done so.
Rik!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 09:53:08 PM »

I just tried the tablet putting the screen controller just under the tablet pcb without shielding and...  there is small amount of jitter and sometimes a dropout just at the very place where the some parts of the lcd controller is. But again : without shielding at all, so I think its nothing bad.

Other thing : It's very difficul to find the cable i need but maybe it's easier to find a longer LVDS cable ?

[EDIT] : I finally decided to purchase a 30pin pcb + 30 pin FFC so I can put the lcd controller a bit aside to eliminate any jittering.  Cool thanks to diy-beamer.com
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 10:51:27 PM by Rik! » Logged
Rik!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 11:24:59 PM »

Well... obviously, there is a problem with DIY-beamer.com ... I can't order Cry

Why lord  ?!!!
brimblashman
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 12:15:33 AM »

Thanks for the heads up on the ergotron arm, looks fantastic for this kind of project. I was thinking of getting a coolermaster ergostand to modify but now i'm tempted to bite the bullet and mount everything in the orginal wacom case and stick it to one of those Smiley
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 07:33:24 AM »

Why lord  ?!!!

I've sent an email to the guy there.

Rik!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 11:11:07 AM »

Why lord  ?!!!

I've sent an email to the guy there.

Thank you ! Much apreciated ! they're the only one who have what I need ...

Thanks for the heads up on the ergotron arm, looks fantastic for this kind of project. I was thinking of getting a coolermaster ergostand to modify but now i'm tempted to bite the bullet and mount everything in the orginal wacom case and stick it to one of those Smiley

I already have an ergotron arm so I wouldn't use anything else ! Those arms are so cool !  I have the old version but i'm thinking of buying the new one.

I personally won't use the wacom case because the intuos3 A3 case is ugly !
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 11:14:13 AM by Rik! » Logged
Rik!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 09:55:10 PM »

Hello ! I'm not at home for the week so I just made a concept to show you what will my cintuos is going to look like ( if everything is ok)

Enjoy

* cintuos.png (330.49 KB. 1048x900 - viewed 2542 times.)

« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 03:29:23 AM by bernard » Logged
Drewid
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 07:19:48 AM »

Nice Smiley

Rik!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 12:15:47 PM »

Thank you ! I hope it'll look nice in real as well !

By the way, I still don't know what  I'm going to do for the back but anyway, I'm not going to do anything before I can order cable extension to DIY-beamer.
janm

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 07:49:36 PM »

I used plexiglass and it scratches up pretty quickly.

Got some custom toughened glass cut for £15 its 4mm thick but its not got a single scratch on
it so far. Problem would be you would not be able to drill or cut holes in this glass so maybe a central section just overlapping the screen slightly.

Great build so far. Please post a few pics of the screen bare if you can at some point.

Jan
Demontiq

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 08:24:54 PM »

How are you planning on doing the touch sensitive buttons?
Pesho

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 08:40:46 PM »

I used plexiglass and it scratches up pretty quickly.

Got some custom toughened glass cut for £15 its 4mm thick but its not got a single scratch on
it so far.

Can't you just use one of those screen protectors that's like an adhesive sheet of scratch resistant polymer?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: