Bongofish
December 07, 2019, 10:40:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Damn all the good names are taken-tiq  (Read 3836 times)
wishfulthinker028
New Poster

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2011, 02:26:36 AM »

Yea....I'm not very creative when it comes to names...

Hello everyone, I've posted a bit of this at the who are you section, but whatever:

I'm a 21 year old University student on internship for electrical engineering located in the Eastern USA...Hopefully my education can help with getting this build right (this stuff ain't cheap!).

I'll be asking around for EMF/emag solutions, but it seems like most of the basic shielding techniques I could think of are already done.

ANYWAYS:

So far I've bought the tablet and the monitor:

Wacom UD-1218 USB for $170 shipped
LG IPS226V-PN 21.5" for $150 shipped
1x 30pin 1mm FFC + 1x 6pin 1mm FFC for $15 shipped

I'll be ordering the FCC's after I can confirm the right pin count//pitch (I saw that it's a 30 pin 1mm pitch from the Cintuos thread, but I have no way of verifying this yet) from http://quadrangleproducts.com/ they come recommended from a colleague at work. If you're US based, you might be able to use them as a monitor hardware interface supplier.

As for the case, I'm thinking just doing it out of wood, my dad does carpentry so I'd have easy access to tools and a skilled person to do it for me (parenthood=servitude, hehehe...) It's not too hard to track down 1.5mm plexiglass to use as a protective layer between the LCD screen and the pen, but holding off on that until I get my tablet and monitor in hand.

As for the war on jitter, I'll just have to see what's what when I put it all together. BUT I do have some contingency plans:

1) shielding everything, I've seen that the recommended approach is a plastic wrap + gounded tin foil + plastic wrap sandwich, I'm assuming the plastic wrap acts as an EMF absorber and the tin foil acts as a reflectant on both faces.

2) Tuning the monitor refresh frequency (anyone have any ideas what frequency/ies the Wacom UD boards use?)

3) Tuning the Wacom pen's potentiometers.

(2 and 3 found in the http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=2005.0 thread)

Other than that, I've got nothing. If I've got some wrong information here, or there's more I could do for jitter...please! let me know!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 08:03:00 PM by wishfulthinker028 » Logged
wishfulthinker028
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 01:10:06 AM »

So my tablet and monitor came in, both are working perfectly. The monitor has been torn down but my camera is missing so there's not pictures. I'm writing up a small guide on how I did take apart the LG monitor as it was a major pain in the ass and a lot of that pain could have been avoided had I known a few things.

// reserve this space for write-up + pictures if I can find my camera
janm

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 01:47:03 AM »

About the IPS226V screen.

Once you've taken the frame off make sure you have a space to store the screen....

Then you can work on the plastic frame without worry.

Tigertron

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 10:22:31 PM »

Very interested in the tear down of the ips226. Did you get the referb one on eBay?
wishfulthinker028
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 03:45:30 AM »

I had to lend my camera (after I found it). So I don't have any pictures, also waiting on the FFC's before I can really test the stripped down LCD. I don't want to move it around too much and risk breaking it if I don't have to. I'll be adding the writeup for the teardown and my initial test results (or my failure to not break the LCD) when I get the FFC's. That should be by the end of this week.

It's quite the bummer to only be posting "will do's" though...

**EDIT**

Quick update, don't think I need to spam this thread with another post though;

Got my FFC's, but no connectors and they can't quite do it with their current length, so I decided to solder wires onto the contacts and while it works (I ohm'd out every single of the 30 contacts on the larger FFC...), it was a lot of work...and very nerve wracking..haha.

Still no camera so no pictures just yet...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 08:01:43 PM by wishfulthinker028 » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: