Bongofish
December 13, 2019, 10:13:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Aid-TiQ build Log  (Read 3667 times)
Aidope
New Poster

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2011, 06:08:44 PM »

Ok guys, so here's the story so far. I just recieved all of my parts today. I Bought a Hanvon Artmaster A4 Large, $177 from ebay and I am going to use my 14.1 inch LCD, CHI MEI N141L1 -L03 from an old laptop I had lying around.

Taking apart the laptop was a doddle, but the Hanvon was not! Its all stuck together inside with industrial double sided tape. When i was prying it apart the facia of the tablet cracked in a couple of places. (the main crack is on the right hand side over the hot keys, TYPICALL!). Needless to say I wont be using the facia.

I have done a few preliminary tests and all seems well, ZERO JITTER!!!! My room-mate is a stainless steel worker so he is going to make me a new face for the project soon.

I do have one question however, and i'm sure i'll have plenty to come haha.

Have any of you delightfull Bongofishers got any experience with mapping a 14.1 inch LCD laptop screen to a Hanvon Artmaster A4 Large? The settings in the control panel are a little cumbersome. I have to use the pen to re-size the active area. I cant quite get the cursor 100% acurate. Is there another way of doing this?

Ok enough jibber jabber, i'll look forward to any responses and just wanna say thanks to Pesho, you've been very helpfull. Thanks again dude.

In the mean-time, here are a couple of snaps of the build so far....

Because the tablet face cracked, I am planning to mount all of the parts somehow into my animation disc, i'll confer with my room-mate 1st though because he may be able to come up with a better idea for a housing for the build;

* oblique.jpg (309.5 KB. 1600x1200 - viewed 394 times.)

* interior.jpg (415.57 KB. 1600x1200 - viewed 396 times.)

Here is a snap of the screen working without the tablet behind it;

* screen test.jpg (365.57 KB. 1600x1200 - viewed 452 times.)

A pic of the tablet that arrived today;

* box.jpg (325.01 KB. 1600x1200 - viewed 438 times.)

The screen and tablet "sandwich"...

* tab_pre_crack.jpg (350.01 KB. 1600x1200 - viewed 439 times.)

* sandwich.jpg (297.27 KB. 1600x1200 - viewed 412 times.)

....and of course the infamous "hello"...

* hello.jpg (357.31 KB. 1600x1200 - viewed 453 times.)

I will update the log when I have a better idea of the housing that i'll be making. In the mean-time I hope you guys can give me some good ideas or pull me up on things that I may have overlooked?!?

Thanks,

Aidope.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 06:12:16 PM by Aidope » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 05:26:06 PM »

nice stuff!  Can't wait to see that animation disc used to its potential!

-- in your third picture, it looks like two boards are overlapping -- maybe even touching(!?!) -- watch out!  you do not want to let this type of stuff happen.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 03:19:07 AM »

Housing:  you said your room-mate knew about stainless steel -- since this metal, do a few tests before going to far that path, anything metal will have an effect on the magnetic fields. Wacom claim that they "compensates" for a "side metal frame" in their penenabled product.  Not sure what that means exactly, but it means at least one thing: metal can have an adverse effect.
Aidope
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 06:10:30 AM »

That is a very good point Bernard, I will test it first. All is well otherwise at the moment with the build but there are a couple of issues. It seems that having the USB cable from the tablet too close to either the digitizer or the LCD PCB is causing jitter. I guess the only way around this is to get cable extenders and mount the PCB further from the tablet. One other issue is that the Hanvon tablet drivers are a bit of a pain. The pen feels good and that but it's slightly off on the left hand side of the screen. I have checked around and it seems that there is no way to manually input the portion of the tablet I'd like to use (unles anyone here knows of a way, that would be great). The only option I have at the moment is to move a selection of the tablet around until it's close. I'm sure Pesho had a similar issue if not the same problems with is build using his Hanvon Tablet. I am posting from my iPhone now so I can't upload any pis right now but I will update with pics when I get a top cover for the build.

Thanks for your coments guys!!!!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 06:15:34 AM by Aidope » Logged
Pesho

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 02:36:01 PM »

Neat! A cool thing about those is that they come with two pens instead of just one. But man, why did you have to break-open the tablet? The board is just stuck at the very top so there wouldn't have been much of a difference whether it was disassembled or not... As for the calibration - you will have to trim out the top portion with the manual option, it's a little wonky but it works.

I'm also seeing a different screen on the picture, the Artmaster is made for the 4:3 ratio, but the LCD looks sorta widescreen-ish. If you still want to use this one and calibrate for it, try installing the new ArtMaster3 driver from here - http://www.hanvon.com/en/downloads/tablet/Driver/Window/Art_Master_III_Driver_For_Windows_3.2.0.zip It's much nicer and may have the option you need. Didn't work for me because my tablet was an old generation, but it might work for you!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 02:38:13 PM by Pesho » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: