Bongofish
December 06, 2019, 04:18:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
  Print  
Author Topic: 21.5' Cintuos [WIP]  (Read 57536 times)
janm

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 09, 2011, 10:08:01 AM »

Thanks for the tips.

Unfortunatly I have run out of spare molex connectors so from now on they would have to be perfect.

I can order from Farnell at about £1 each with next day delivery free so if I mess these up I can get replacements quickly.

Here is my idea of making a home made diy beamer connector.

Jan

Not sure if you can tell but there's about half a mm spacing between the pins

* Image1.jpg (66.16 KB, 640x480 - viewed 409 times.)
Rik!

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 09, 2011, 12:16:53 PM »

Sounds good to me. Be carefull with those conectors, it seems like your soldering job is touching multiple tracks.
janm

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 09, 2011, 12:40:41 PM »

Yes this is the problem i'm having, capillary action on the solder is bridging connections sometimes.

Jan
janm

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 09, 2011, 05:40:17 PM »

Rik how do you undo the ffc's from the screen?

just pull them out?

thanks,

Jan
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 09, 2011, 07:12:28 PM »

Oh! you are soldering connectors directly? I thought it was the FFC themselves. That's cool (because you see what you are doing, contrary to soldering 2 FFC cables directly).

Yes 0.5mm is very common for LCDs.

But how are you doing the connection -- just with the "tip" of the pads?  You do not make them overlap?

What about soldering the connector directly onto a piece of FFC cable? I mean scrape the top plastic on a portion of FFC cable and use it as "PCB" to solder the pads on. I think they should align correctly. If this works, it would become a "viable" (yet difficult) alternative to DIY beamer -- and we really need an alternative to this FFC extension problem!!!

I know the pin gap is extremely small, but what about finding something so thin that you could temporarily "insert" between the pins to block the bridging? It would have to "resist" heat a little. Maybe plain paper would do? (humidify it a little to help resist heat maybe?)

janm

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 09, 2011, 07:47:06 PM »

Success with the ffc connectors... just have to test with a multimeter if I can find where I put it...

What I did was go out and get a fine tip capable of touching induvidual pins, some of the best solder I could
find none of the crap stuff i had before and it worked like a charm no mistakes.

See attached pic.

Jan

* Image2.jpg (78.34 KB, 640x480 - viewed 436 times.)
xguy
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 09, 2011, 10:42:07 PM »

how is your jitter now?
janm

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 09, 2011, 11:07:21 PM »

sorry riks build is seperate from mine but were using the same screen and tablet.

I was just asking questions in this thread.

I'm gonna find my multimeter first then do an assembly at the weekend. Just want to assemble once to minimize risk.

Jan
Rik!

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 11, 2011, 04:18:09 PM »

Today, my neighbour gave me a Dell 1303FP ... Too bad I sold my intuos3 A4 3 years ago ... And I didn't sold it enough ! Now I got to find a new a4 tablet for not much ^^so I can offer a DIY cinitq to a friend Smiley

Oh and btw, my "Cintuos" in almost finish.
janm

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 11, 2011, 07:57:29 PM »

rik
could you tell me or take a few pictures of your broken screen to show how you put the diffuser, plastic frame and how to align the led strips. i am really stuck
thanks
jan
Rik!

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 11, 2011, 08:04:14 PM »

Erf .. I cant take photos anymore because it's all mounted now.
But I can tell you how I did :

I put the difuser layer in the same order as the original screen on a thin cardboard piece ( a little less than 1mm ).
I put the led bar inside the plastic frame and put the frame on the diffuser. ( the cardbord is made for leveling, so the difuser will be right in front of the leds.)

I guess it will help.
janm

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 11, 2011, 08:41:22 PM »

thanks
did you stick the leds to the plastic frame or just put them in the plastic frame without glue/ tape
jan
Rik!

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2011, 09:03:39 PM »

there was enough glu left on it.
janm

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 11, 2011, 09:16:09 PM »

thanks i appreciate it

jan
janm

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 11, 2011, 10:23:39 PM »

Rik, did you get any dust on the diffuser sheets?
Or on the lcd screen back.
If so does it show up when you switch your screen on?

Do you put the led strip down as far as it will go dow in the plastic frame?

Oh man this is a very different build to a laptop screen

The backplate of the diffuser is two pressed metal peices with in this a plastic frame and on top of this the screen.
Below the plastic frame the sheets and acrylic you find common to all diffusers.

The whole thing is held together with clips and screws...

The led strip is stuck with mastic to the pressed metal sheets. To get this out you have to dismantle the whole thing.

I am very scared with this one.....

sorry for all the questions...

Jan

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
  Print  

Jump to: