Bongofish
November 15, 2019, 04:25:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: LVDS controller burnout  (Read 1990 times)
Ueki
New Poster

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2011, 08:19:16 PM »

Hey guys

I finally found a few minutes to work on my build this weekend. I was working on it for about an hour with the controller hooked up the outlet, screen, and computer. I got everything aligned perfectly, almost 1 to 1 on the screen, and got taping before anything shifted. While trying to align the led string at the top before applying the last bit of tape, my lvds controller went up in smoke. Big cloud and sparks, right in the middle of the board next to the copper coil where there's a plastic square (now with a melted hole). I unplugged everything immediately and there was no damage to anything else (me or my electronics). I used an appropriate brick (not the one the company sold seperatley, but one I had with proper specs). The controller itself was hot enough to burn, but I don't know if that was from a malfunction, the normal amount of heat it would produce, an effect of the weather (though it was 20+ degrees cooler than earlier last week), or a combination of the three.

So any ideas why/how this happened? I ordered this one from NJYtouch, so I'll have to wait another three weeks if I reorder from them  =_=.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 08:29:24 PM by Ueki » Logged
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 09:05:10 PM »

We've had another board do something similar recently, I suspect a bad batch.  Maybe nyjtouch will replace it, but I'd guess you would need to pay shipping  Sad.

edit- was the panel the board programmed for that specific LCD panel?  Different panels use different voltages and the board needs to be set up for that.  I don't know what the effects of over/under voltage might be.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 07:19:16 AM by Drewid » Logged

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: