Bongofish
November 19, 2017, 04:55:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Converting Wacom XD-0912-R from Serial to USB  (Read 13932 times)
gordon13

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 04:03:50 PM »

I was wondering if there was a circuit diagram somewhere that shows all the tracks without the markings? some of the tracks are underneath white lines and its hard to see where they go exactly.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 04:20:27 PM »

You have to use the multimeter to track down traces. 

----

But before doing so, you have to know **which ones** you need to connect.  Is that identified already?  Can you tell me which ones (draw marks on your picture)

----

The multimeter (continuity tester -- the beep) is the best tool for this. Just following "visually" is very difficult and the chance that you get it wrong is high, you do not want to start to uncover the "wrong" trace. 

So find a spot to put your probe.  You have to make sure your probe is connecting by ... finding another spot and connecting the other probe. When you have a firm "lock" on one probe, then try to probe the trace and find the signal elsewhere.  If your probe tip is very sharp, it will go through the PCB protection layer and will connect.  Else, use an exacto knife, a small sand paper or whatever to gently scratch a little portion of the trace so you can probe it.   
gordon13

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 05:33:04 PM »

Yep thats what Ive been doing however because of the tracks being so small and painted over and broken, its hard to tell exactly which ones were meant to be connected. Thats why I was wondering if there was a diagram, so I can see which points are actually meant to be connected

But maybe Im misunderstanding what you mean?

gordon13

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 09:16:54 PM »

Oh man Im so happy right now! Even after those scratched tracks etc, the tablet works!

It turns out the even though some of the tracks are broken, the chip was removed, which means theyre not in use by the board so it just works.
Now I just need to do some more testing to make sure everything is ok.

Bernard, I cant thank you enough for taking the time to help me. The work youve put into Waxbee is very much appreciated. Works straight out of the box, its amazing!
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 01:08:18 AM »

Are you saying you soldered everything and you have a working USB tablet?

If so, please post some pictures of the PCB for others with the same board -- especially that you ripped off traces -- this will occur to other people and the more info we have, the better.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 01:19:40 AM by bernard » Logged
gordon13

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 02:56:11 AM »

Yep I soldered everything, grounded all the points etc and now it works.

Ill summarise what Ive learned from this experience.

From similar threads I knew I needed to ground one of the the point were TR1 was connected. Since the transistor is close to a ground plate I simply soldered some scrap wire between them (make sure to scrape the protective stuff thats on the plate, use a modelling knife and gently scrape it until you can see shiny metal).
Pin/Pad 8 (where the serial chip used to be) needs to be grounded too, so just extend some wire and solder across it to the ground pad (a few millimeters is enough).

The solder pads where the serial chip used to be, were broken so I had to improvise and find another point along the track. To do that I took a high resolution picture and took it in photoshop and painted using the brush tool and shift+click along the track, from the broken point, to see where it leads. In my case the track went to an unused pad which was perfect for soldering the Tx/Rx wire.
If there is no other solder pad along the track you can always scratch off the protective layer and solder directly onto it.

If a important track is broken and the tablet doesn't work, it might be possible to fix it with a conductive ink pen (I think. I haven't tried since it ended up working after all)

When everything is soldered up connect the teensy to usb and fire up the Waxbee software and select the right tablet (in this case XD-0912-R).
When the program process finishes, you should instal the Wacom drivers and the tablet should be detected and the tablet should now work via USB.

Ill post some pictures with annotations later today.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 03:08:25 AM by gordon13 » Logged
gordon13

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, 05:13:07 PM »

Heres a picture of the mod itself:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4249784/P1150964.JPG

Hope this helps someone.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2011, 05:42:27 PM »

Nice work!

BTW, there are other GND and VCC holes on the Teensy (near the microswitch) -- those work equally and are a bit more difficult to solder. I like these because the wires end up "away" from the USB connector.
gordon13

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 06:26:06 PM »

To be honest, I only saw the other two holes after it was too late and was too lazy to resolder them Tongue But youre right, it would be more practical. I will probably end up moving the wires when I get the enclosure done
Alan

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2012, 09:27:23 PM »

I want to mod my serial tablet so I don't need a power-supply, I don't care about usb emulation, will this also work?
a pl2303 rs232 to usb convertor and this small cheap device to power the tablet:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-adjustable-step-up-Power-Module-solar-battery-boost-module-3V-to-5V-9V-1A-/280754693171

thanks

edit:
can't test it yet myself, because I haven't received yet the tablet.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 10:06:50 PM by Alan » Logged
Aerendraca
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2012, 12:05:47 AM »

I'm not 100% sure of the power requirement of a serial tablet, I imagine 9V at 500mA (tops) but Bernard can probably advise you better here. So long as the tablet uses less than 9V @ 800mA of current this device should be up to the task. My only point to note is that this appears to be a buck-boost regulator which employs switching technology which can cause radio interference and may affect the function of the tablet (jitters!).

These things are super cheap though so you could always get one and see if there is any interference created by it. If it does cause problems you may be able to work around this by building a faraday cage from an old antistatic bag (untested but might work).
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2012, 08:19:53 AM »

power requirements are under 150mA maybe even less than 100mA in practice.  Have you read the conversion posts? some talk about power.

yes you can power it using USB. It _will_ work with a Teensy but it might be overkill. Else try to find power usb cables. (contains some electronic, not sure how it works).
Alan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2012, 12:06:12 PM »

In another topic you said 60ma@5v when operating
Alan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2012, 02:14:21 PM »

also found this
http://www.techstore4u.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=41020#
with pic:
http://www.accessotronik.com/product_p/zip-cell-b9v-b_c101.htm#

what kind of dc connector does the ac/dc adapter have (barrel size)?
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=usb+barrel&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=usb+barrel&_sacat=0
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 03:19:09 PM by Alan » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2012, 05:27:01 AM »

i will try to check it out when i am back home after the holidays.  this cable probably outputs 5volts. this is not what the tablet wants through the barrel input. 5volts is the internal operating voltage. you need to open the tablet and solder 2 wires to feed the USB 5volt.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 05:33:46 AM by bernard » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: