Bongofish
December 13, 2019, 01:23:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Obligatory Poll
Yes - 0 (0%)
No - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BEO HV150UX-101 Displaying Garbage Lines  (Read 4328 times)
Blls
New Poster

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2011, 02:32:57 AM »

Seems I can only post a poll and not a message, apologies.  I recently ordered Lez's Hi Resolution controller kit for the BOE HV150UX-101 as well as the accompanying LCD Panel.  I didn't strip any of the metal of the LCD panel but I did unscrew and lay flat the upper PCB board on the panel as demonstrated in one of Lez's videos.  I went ahead and placed it upon my Intuous 2 wacom and set it in place with some spacers and thought I was ready to roll.

With the controller kit and the LCD panel already hooked together, I plugged in the power to my power strip, I did notice a bit of a spark, even though I assumed the controller kit should be in the off setting.  This was worrying but it didn't seem like there was much to be done about it.  I forged ahead and hit the power button on the controller board.  The LCD panel sprung to life, but was displaying thick white vertical lines intersparsed with many multicolored vertical lines (hundreds).  These lines starting sliding down and eventually off the screen, it turned black, tho you could still see shadows of RGB lines in the upper corner, then the backlight turned off.  This entire process took about 5-6 seconds.  I checked all connections, and disconnected the DVI cable from the computer to make sure it wasn't giving bad input.  No matter what I do this same thing always happens, connected to the computer with DVI or not.  

At this point I realized I was in over my head, and am honestly entirely lost.  I don't know enough about either to discern whether the issue lies with the controller, or with the panel itself.  I am hesitant to proceed with anything for fear of breaking something worse than it already is.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 03:22:30 AM »

after your first post, you can start a thread -- we try to tell everybody about this anti-spam measure, but the message is not clear enough. Apologies.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 03:36:55 AM »

With these things we have to go ultra small baby steps.  Try one thing a at time. These are delicate electronics that we have almost no control over.

A Spark should have warned you greatly to not go further and ask for help.

Have you tried to connect the LCD *before* doing all that setup? Because now nobody will even accept that the LCD was DOA (if it was the case).

-----------

Your "spark" was that in the power outlet/power strip or somewhere on the board? If that's the case, then I think this is normal, any power adapter would do that, ALL power adapters you see in your house is drawing power even if the device is off (granted it is not full power, but power it is). As soon as you connect the power, the power flows. The "power on" button is just a microswitch driven by software. The software is running at this point.

If you had a spark, that probably means there was (a bit of) smoke (or dirt).  Look at all the circuits (especially close to where you saw a spark) -- maybe take a picture of stuff that look dirty.

I assume your tablet is still in his case, right? There is nothing metallic that the LCD could have been touching, right?

Unplug everything.

Try connecting the LVDS driver power.  Is there anything strange happening at that point?  Circuits getting hot (touch all the chips and components) -- but not the high-voltage inverter!!  If not, try to power on. See if the led is doing anything strange.

(always unplug when manipulating wires and such, this is the obvious, but some people just don't get it)

Now try connecting the backlight only maybe.  Plug in the power supply, try to power on.

At each step look for strangeness, hot circuits, sparks, anything weird.

Try to connect the DVI/VGA -- is the led recognizing it?

Try to connect the LCD Panel without the DVI/VGA.

Take a picture to show us . Don't leave the power on too long when weird things are happening.
Blls
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 04:10:05 AM »

Thank you for the reply bernard, it's likely that I just missed that information somewhere, I was in a bit of a rush to register and post.  Upon further reading it seems I should note that the power LED for the controller board is red rather than green, possibly indicating some issue I am unaware of.

The spark was between the 12v line from the adapter to the 12v plugin on the controller, as it was plugged together.  I had previously plugged in the adapter, and it must have still had a bit of a charge built up.  There was no smoke, and appears to be no visible damage to the controller board.  The tablet itself was wiped down and is still in it's own case, no modification has been done to it.  I double checked and there is nothing visible that would have caused a short between the LCD and the tablet, nor the controller and the plastic it was sitting upon.  I should note I protected the PCB board of the LCD panel with cellotape on both sides as instructed from Lez's panel prepping video.  It is unlikely that anything there shorted out due to touching something.

I foolishly did not check test the monitor before I layed flat the PCB, and regretted that immediately.  I was too rushed today and should have known it was not the best time to be doing all this.  Irregardless, the monitor was absolutely no return even if it was functional.  I will run through the steps you posted as soon as I have more time and am not so rushed.  Probably tomorrow.  I will get the camera and document everything. 

I had begun ordering parts for this project, then 3 days later a family member was diagnosed with cancer and taken to the hospital.  I should have shelved it, but I thought it might give me something to tinker with and keep me occupied.  Mistake.

Thanks again for your time bernard.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 04:18:16 AM »

Hope for the best for your family member.  Embarrassed

The spark is in the 12v round plug? Interesting.  Maybe the LVDS board (and its power socket in particular) is bad. Since you only have one you cannot just "try" another one obviously.

Do you have a multi-meter?
Blls
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 04:23:01 AM »

Yes, in fact I do have a multi-meter, tho I am a bit rusty on how it functions but I'm sure I could read up and figure it out again.  What do you suggest I test with it?
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 06:14:00 AM »

either the volt meter (while powered) or the continuity tester (the beep!) to use when there is no power nowhere.

I think a few good pictures at this point would be nice.
Blls
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 06:24:42 PM »

It seems my multi-meter is currently on loan, I will have to retrieve that before I do any further testing on the 12v line.  And for further clarification it was indeed the spark between the male/female round plugs on the 12v line as they were mated together.  This also causes the power LED to briefly flash red whenever they are plugged together, tho upon subsequent matings there has no longer been a spark.

I emailed Lez Wright at tabletmod and he wasn't sure what the issue could be but wanted to send a replacement controller kit anyway.  I sent him a more detailed report of exactly what happened before I ship it across the globe, and am currently awaiting a reply. 

I'll test the 12v line before I box it up, but if it is a voltage issue I am hesitant to plug it back into the LCD panel.  I'm not sure of the ramifications of overvoltages/undervoltages to the panel but I'm certain it's probably not good either way.

Something tells me that since the panel turned on every time, it might still be functional.  That could be wishful thinking.  If however you think it might be safe to plug the panel back into the controller if the voltages seem normal once I test them, I will do further troubleshooting.  I will take some pictures once I get the multi-meter back and have done some testing.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 01:13:59 AM »

Frankly, I do not have a solid clue. I am just telling you how you could potentially find the culprit.  From Lez's point of view, strying with another LVDS controller would be the first thing he would try. But that's because he has some in stock!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: