Bongofish
December 10, 2019, 03:36:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Importance of monitor response time?  (Read 3107 times)
Tytiq
New Poster

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2011, 10:39:06 PM »

Hello, I have been reading on the bongofish forums for the last few weeks trying to get all the information I can about making my very first build. My question is how important is monitor response time for a DIY cintiq build. I was looking at the BOE HV150UX1-100 which has a response time of 30ms. This is a similar panel to the one Donshole used in his intuos3 build on tabletmod.com I think. But the response time seems a little long. That is why it is tempting to look at the N150P5 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chi-Mei-15-LCD-Laptop-Screen-N150P5-SXGA-393552-001-/110743484965?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c8d37a25) because it only has 16 ms response time! My current 29" monitor has a 2ms response time. how much of a difference would I see between the three from when I draw on the Intuos3 and when it shows up on My monitor? The newest cintiqs have 13ms response time I think. Any information would be much appreciated  Grin
Tigertron

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 11:53:23 PM »

I haven't really considered response time. I believe it would only be an issue for animation. All my work is static so I'm thinking it doesn't matter much in my case. I know refresh rates are a different story and you would like to get a good range there to compensate for jitter.

What do you plan to do with you diytiq?
Tytiq
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 04:50:44 AM »

I am going to use it mostly for sketching in photoshop or some other program. I do not have much experience with using any sort of drawing tablet but from all the videos I have seen they just look so cool. How much does computer speed have to do with how fast an image appears after input from the tablet? Which one is has more influence on how fast the image appears: monitor response time or the power of ones computer(CPU speed/amount of RAM)? Do your guys diytiq's feel like drawing with pencil on paper? Can you even notice lag? If so/not what are you monitors response times? I think it would be difficult to for me to draw a line and then wait 1/2 sec for it to appear.
buildorbust

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 07:05:18 AM »

Higher resolution = higher lag. Faster cpu = less lag. Input lag probably is irrelevant if you're drawing unless you normally draw as fast as a pc gamer twitches.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 05:17:32 AM »

There is often lag -- and the CPU+GPU and especially the software that you are using are the main issues.   A monitor response time or the number of samples per second on the Tablet has virtually no real effect.

If you just move the pen around without drawing -- there is typically very little lag -- and that is a good indication how fast everything else is without involving the actually drawing software.

You can look at videos people did and notice the various level of lag.   I must say that even with some lag, it is still a far superior experience (IMHO) than not drawing on the screen at all.

If you already have a tablet (not cintiq-ified), you can already see how much lag you have -- it will be no different.  
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 02:44:23 PM by bernard » Logged
Pesho

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 10:24:05 AM »

A slow response time in LCD screens manifests itself in the form of ghosting, especially in black-to-grey transitions, not really a "drawing lag". If you have access to the monitor, you can run it through the whole series of tests on lagom.nl. TN panels have the fastest response times, but poor viewing angles and colour reproduction. IPS have slower response times but great viewing angles and colour reproduction, with VA somewhere between TN and IPS. Wacom use IPS for the Cintiqs.

What matters more is whether or not the tablet itself lags, the screen is not an issue in actual practice. Also, some programs lag more than others with their brushes - try testing with mspaint if you want to see the fastest possible tablet response  Wink In any case an Intuos3 is more than enough when it comes to input speed.
Tytiq
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 06:26:39 AM »

Thank you all for your responses it helped a lot. I do not have a tablet right now I am trying to bid on an intuos3 small on ebay right now to see if I like drawing on a tablet without spending to much money on one. I have a good feeling that I will like it and then I can try to find a used A4 and start my first diy cintiq build Grin. I do not think Lag will be to much of an issue because I just built a new computer which has pretty powerful specs. Bernard: I will start testing out the lag time when I get my first tablet to how it responds to my new computer. Pesho: thanks for the information on the different screens. I think I would like better contrast, color and viewing angles over response time since it seems that lag is not that much of an issue. So I will try to find an IPS screen when I am trying a build. Thank you all for your help! Cheesy
-Ty
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: