Bongofish
December 08, 2019, 07:46:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: LCD or LED ?
LCD screen - 0 (0%)
LED screen - 3 (100%)
Total Voters: 3

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need advice on a monitor for a intuous a3 and other questions  (Read 3129 times)
shirefolk
New Poster

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2011, 09:01:31 PM »

Hello to you clever people!!! I was hoping someone or somemany may have some advice for me. I'm planning on building my first cintiq hybrid that I shall call the 'cintolk' I have an intuos3 12x19  so I know roughly I need a 21 inch screen. And I plan to build a custom case so I don't have to use the original.

But to the questions I need help with......
1- what would be better LCD or LED screen?
2- are there monitors that will be easier to modify ie not need to alter leads etc?
3- and most importantly I have noticed that most screens have a great picture quality if viewed at an angle they don't change much but if you tilt the screen back to far and look at it like you would look at an angled drawing table then the image fades and isn't very clear? Any thoughts on a way round it or are there recommended monitors that don't have this effect ?
Rik!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 09:15:56 PM »

Hello and welcome to the forum.

If you browse a little the threads here you will see that there are many good monitors but I personnally recommend the LG IPS226. It's a LED IPS display, means that the image will look almost the same at any angle.

It's a 21.5 16:9 screen but i think it's the only con.
Pesho

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 10:38:24 PM »

1 - LED are LCD screens too  Wink LED is better because there is no inverter to interfere with the tablet.
2 - You cant know how the monitor is gonna be set up until you open it...
3 - Only IPS (In-Plane Switching) and VA (Vertical Alignment) panels have good viewing angles, but they are expensive. Most common LCD panels are TN (Twisted Nematic) and have that nasty effect with the viewing angle, especially when looking up from below. On my build i have a TN panel, but i've flipped it upside-down, because the viewing angle from top->bottom is better than the bottom->top one. All the real Cintiqs use IPS screens.
shirefolk
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 12:40:51 PM »

Many thanks for the reply Rik! I will have a browse through before I start spending money Smiley

And thank you Pesho that's just what I needed to know about the viewing angles. I will bear that in mind when selecting my monitor.
Tigertron

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 04:36:15 AM »

Browse through the posts you will find the issues with the monitors. I was all excited to just get a monitor and start building but have now put the project on hold until I find a suitable monitor. So far the best choice is the LG ips226 or 236. It has the wrong aspect ratio for the tablet but it is cheapish and seems workable. I want a 16:10 but the only one I can find that *may* work is the Dell 2410 or that series. They are expensive and I really can't justify tearing one open to find out it won't work.

The dilemma in a nutshell is that you want a bright enough backlight and to do that the backlight diffuser must be thick. That on top of the tablet makes the pen too far away. LED backlights are thinner but rare and expensive in 16:10 aspect ratio. And no one has cracked one open to see just how thick the diffuser is. My conclusion or theory is that Wacom makes their own backlight for the Cintiq thus solving the problem us DIYers have.

Keep us posted on what you end up getting.
Rik!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 04:20:59 PM »

Well, you have some 22" 16/10 but they are not LED. I found a lenovo MVA 22" 1920x1200 (Lenovo thinkvision L220x) for 80€ which is great but... with internal power brick. So I decided to take the LG ips226. You can also find a LG 22" 16/10 (LG W2220P), 1680x1050 with IPS for not too much but again, internal power brick and not LED.

So... yes the LG IPS226 is not perfect but it's just because of it's ratio.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: