Bongofish
December 08, 2019, 03:02:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: hello, I want to know...  (Read 5041 times)
Surviver
New Poster

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2011, 02:46:03 AM »

well first off before I ask, I am a 16 year old art student in college doing both fine art and graphics communications in the UK, and I found this DIY cintiq thing a few months ago, at first i didn't think anything of it and wanted one of the proper cintiqs, but my mind has finaly come to the conclusion that the cintiq is way too expensive, and I can't even afford one of the smaller wacom tablets either

so heres my question:

my father bought me a Trust 1200 tablet off ebay because i asked for a tablet, i told him to look for wacom but he went for Trust because it was cheaper and basically all he could find for a cheap price (he won it for about £25) anywho, I wanted to know if this would be any good to use to try and make my own cintiq?
I'm new to all of this and it seems really interesting but my problem is that im now stuck with that Trust 1200 tablet because my dad wont buy me a Wacom of any kind because they are expensive and he says "you'll do with this just like what you've done with everything else, get it, like it for a week, then it will go in the closet for the rest of your life and never be used again" so he bought me the cheap tablet... but im really wondering if it would be possible to use the cheap on to make a DIY cintiq.

another thing i'd like to know also is what size screen would I need to use because the Trust 1200 is an A4 size (9x12 inches) and from what i've read on tabletmod.com they used a 15 inch screen? it made no sense to me, what size would it have be?

Link to the Trust 1200: http://www.trust.com/products/product.aspx?artnr=13022

please reply, any help is much appreciated :3
GrazeBlu
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 10:49:02 AM »

Usualy the 15* is measure from the top left to the right bottom corner of the screen .
the inside of the screen *where the screen actully is and not the outer case*
it can vary model to model etc 10x12
A 9x12 sketchpad like that is pretty good in size , I'm trying to use the same model in my build but still waiting for mine in the post.
First thing you can do with it is give the paper test and see how far the pen can work until noticable signs of it not responding.

Also there is afew mm's of stuff inside the graphic tablet that can be removed to help bring it closer afew more mm's.
Pesho

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 11:29:20 AM »

A 15 inch screen with a 4:3 ratio (not widescreen) should fit exactly. There are two reasons why people avoid cheaper tablets like Trust:

- Not many people have them, so nobody has tested them to see if they work
- Some suspect there is more "jitter" in these tablets (you can read the forum here about jitter), but the truth is that every tablet gets some degree of jitter, more or less. It boils down to the tablet+screen combination - it should be getting as little of it as possible. And this is always a gamble.

I'm curious to see if the Trust will work, as i was originally planning to get a Trust tablet before settling for a more expensive Hanvon one.
Surviver
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 05:18:26 PM »

I would've got a more expensive one if i could have but my dad wont let me >;| lol, so im going to have to use the rust tablet XD, probably one day when i finish it and my dad thinks its alright for me to get a wacom i will be able to swap the tablets over haha

and oh, the screen size thing really confused me :/... thanks for clearing that up for me :3

also any recomendations on what kind of screen to use for a 12x9 tablet? o-o
Pesho

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 09:28:05 PM »

If it ends up working with the Trust tablet it would be a major bargain, it's just that nobody has tried using those yet. Your dad is right because Wacom tablets are way overpriced, especially if you're gonna be using it for a DIY project where things can potentially go horribly wrong...

The easiest way would probably be to get a 15 inch laptop screen and an LCD controller board offa eBay.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 09:29:59 PM by Pesho » Logged
Surviver
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 11:24:07 PM »

well I do have another Trust tablet here currently which is 6x4 and I did the paper test thing and it worked through like... 1.5CMs-ish of paper (250 pages of an old Tescos book XD) and it had like another CM or two on top of that where i could lift the pen up and hover it around. and that tablet is fairly old.

but he didn't buy me the trust cos im using it for DIY purposes, he bought me it just because its cheaper and he doesn't want to waste money on something i'll probably never use, like he says i've done with so many other things, and I don't fault him because i have stopped using things once he bought me them |:

and off ebay I just need a screen and the control board? wouldn't I need more things too? like the full kit on tabletmod?.... altho thats a little expensive to buy off of there because of import tax and stuff it'll add up to £100 for just that item.. :/
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 11:26:30 PM by Surviver » Logged
Pesho

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 11:37:58 PM »

The housing is a whole different story, and it's usually what takes the most effort because you can't acquire it easily and have to design it to fit your components. Some choose to use the tablet's plastic housing, others use an old LCD monitor, some make a housing out of wood/particleboard etc... It's where the actual DIY part is. You can browse the forums to see the various approaches people made on their builds. I used lasercut plexiglass and 8mm threaded rods.

With passive digitizers (the ones where the pen requires a battery), you don't have to worry about reading height, because the battery provides enough power even at 1.5cm or more. The problem is whether or not the LCD matrix will cause a strong enough electromagnetic interference for the tablet to pick up and cause jitter.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 11:39:32 PM by Pesho » Logged
Surviver
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 11:41:19 AM »

I should have no problem making my own housing, I had top grades in wood-work in comprehensive so I know how to make it all haha Cheesy

and im still a little confused with reguards to what I need in total I have the tablet, I need the screen and what else exactly?... :Z the tablet mod website doesn't say exactly what you need :/
Pesho

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 06:39:54 PM »

You need:

1 - Tablet
2 - LCD module from a laptop
3 - Controller board + inverter + cables to drive the LCD (usually all are included in the kit)
4 - Power supply for the controller board and inverter
5 - Housing
Surviver
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 11:15:36 PM »

oh thanks Cheesy seems pretty simple to make Tongue

im going to have fun with this project, and time to look for the inverter and other stuff lol hahaah XD
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 05:47:46 PM »

I do not want to discourage you but you have to make sure you understand the risks: This may look easy, but you have to be extra careful, LCDs in particular are very easy to wreck to garbage. Very. Careful people here broke 200 US$+ brand new LCDs monitors, and they were super careful. Also about the jitter issues: the boards might just decide to interfere with each other beyond what is fixable, that's just the reality of it.

Imagine that the project fails and you break both the tablet and your newly acquired LCD panel -- plunk! in the garbage. Are you ready for that outcome? If so, then you're all set!  yay! Cool

Good luck !  XD    <-- notice that I am using your "lol" variant  Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: