Bongofish
December 09, 2019, 12:54:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: How can i create a touchstrip
soft pot - 0 (0%)
broken down ipod - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Diy touchstrip  (Read 16636 times)
Ryanwc

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2011, 03:55:52 AM »

I have been searching the web for ways to create my own cintiq, and I have come across a touch strip that robotic hobbits use. You can see the link here: http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store/Search.aspx?searchTerms=soft+pot&submit=true

It seems to me that this would be a cool addition along side an old intuos 2. The only problem is that I have no idea how to have it work. Vmeter, which uses the soft pot touch strip, makes it so it can be used as an interface for custom buttons or for music. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euhupM8koNo&feature=player_embedded#!

Does anyone know how to make this work?
Rik!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 11:44:47 AM »

No.
Tigertron

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 02:57:10 PM »

It's a pot. Potentiometer. It changes resistance as you slide your finger. You need to have a interface to convert the changing resistance into what ever signal you need. I'm not familiar with the intuos2 but if you are try to add something like the touch ring the intuos4 has you will need alot more than just the touch strip. If there is a knob you twist or a slider you slide then you could swap it out for this but I don't think that's the case.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 03:33:06 PM by Tigertron » Logged
Ryanwc

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 04:50:35 PM »

Yeah, it seems that the only one that would work is the already assembled vmeter one. It has a micro controller in it, as well as an usb ready interface. There is also a software that it comes with in order to assign custom keys. I have been looking for my own micro controller to make it myself, which would probably cost around $20, but then again, all I can find are these huge micro controller boards, and I really don't like that.

I'm also looking at another type of touch strip/ring. I can buy it off digikey for about $3. I don't have the time to link the page, but it is the same technology that is in a ipod, and probably intuos 4. If I can get the right size micro controller, I may be able to use this instead. The only other problem is the need for a program, but I'm sure there is some open source programing already made.
Pesho

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 07:24:38 PM »

Speaking of potentiometers, a regular old fashioned rotating volume knob would be way cooler for zooming in and out!
Tigertron

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 07:35:22 PM »

Yeah, it seems that the only one that would work is the already assembled vmeter one. It has a micro controller in it, as well as an usb ready interface. There is also a software that it comes with in order to assign custom keys. I have been looking for my own micro controller to make it myself, which would probably cost around $20, but then again, all I can find are these huge micro controller boards, and I really don't like that.

I'm also looking at another type of touch strip/ring. I can buy it off digikey for about $3. I don't have the time to link the page, but it is the same technology that is in a ipod, and probably intuos 4. If I can get the right size micro controller, I may be able to use this instead. The only other problem is the need for a program, but I'm sure there is some open source programing already made.

There is open source for just about everything now. I remember doing some controller stuff with basic stamp. Parallax I think makes it. It uses a basic language if you don't want to program in ml.

I agree on the zoom knob. The spinning on the doughnut is a bit of trouble.
Ryanwc

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 05:45:37 AM »

okay, so it turns out that a diy touch wheel could be done. I have looked at the possibilities of using an ipod click wheel which would be cool, but the information about hacking it says it requires reverse engineering and some programming. That's a no go for me. The other touch strip that I want o use is an atmel qtouch. This company makes a really nice touch interface that has zoom by pinch/expand, and it has the ability to customize 2 touch keys, as well as having a touch ring. This only costs $3.20, and the micro controller costs only about $3, but I don't know how to make the interface to computer work. Like I don't know how to hook it on a micro controller board or what board would work. Plus, my lack of programming skills would make this a very frustrating project. So....yeah no go. I'll just complete the task of assembling my intuos 2 and my 15 inch ips screen that is on its way.

Although, I also have another question. I have ordered a controller board from njytouch and I'm concerned about the chance of having the wrong program installed. If it does have the wrong program installed and I hook everything up, is there any way my lcd could be damaged?
Ryanwc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 05:51:34 AM »

Speaking of potentiometers, a regular old fashioned rotating volume knob would be way cooler for zooming in and out!

well I'm wanting more than just zoom in an out. That is the least of my desired. I mainly want to be able to pan around the canvas and to quickly change my brush size. I use corel painter, and ctr + alt works nicely, but I really want to get away from the keyboard. Plus I prefer a device that is flush against the flat surface of my monitor enclosure so it is more streamline.
Tigertron

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 07:52:44 PM »

I'm not sure about the njy controller. I would think there would be no way to damage anything unless voltages get too high for some device. It seems unlikely. I would tend to think the worst that would happen is it just wouldn't display. Try a new thread because I know others use that controller and have experience.

For your other idea if you could figure out what signals the intuos4 driver uses you could use that. Unfortunately there is now way around the the programming aspect.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 02:21:44 PM »

I follow what tigertron is saying:  Most likely the lcd won't break as these are pure digital signals. Nothing will appear or it will appear very weirdly. 
What makes you think the programming could be wrong?
Drewid
Administrator

wielder of electric crayons

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 01:02:28 AM »

Someone used an ordinary USB mouse. I think it was a small laptop type version, mounted under one edge.
You get a wheel plus two free buttons.

You can also buy standalone touchpads for various costs.
http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=2026.0

Games work site:  Drewnorthcott.co.uk
Personal site: Bongofish.co.uk
Ryanwc

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 08:05:47 AM »

Alright, I have made a rather interesting investment. I was about to get a bamboo touch, thinking that I will modify it into my case... but then I saw that for 30 more dollars, I could get the pen and touch. So I opted into buying it. It's going to be a pretty expensive addition, but if it doesn't work the way I am hoping, I'll just give it away as a gift to one of my family members-- maybe for Christmas or something. hopefully its in excellent, like new condition as I purchased it from ebay.

My plans for the pen and touch is to strip it apart leaving only the bare essentials. Then I was going to add additional space to the left of my enclosure to install it. It has 4 buttons, plus the touch surface. I did some research and i found out that yes, the multi-touch will work in programs like photoshop and corel painter, so I'll be able to rotate canvas, and zoom in and out with my left hand, and draw with my right hand on my intuos2. although, I'd like to see if I can add a gesture or modify a gesture to increase/decrease brush size. Imo, that would be the frosting on the cake. But, making one of the quick keys serve as an ctrl+alt combo might do the trick. Of course, I'll need to have a redo/undo key, as well as a pan canvas key. This should be approx. 80% of my workflow, so the keyboard will not be used as much.

Also, on a side note, since I'll be able to use the bamboo pen stylus, I can map it to my other monitor so I can access pallets and such allowing for more room on my ips panel.

So if all goes to plan, this investment should be about $340(this includes acrylic cover+enclosure and any other misc. essentials).
Ryanwc

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 08:09:17 AM »

Someone used an ordinary USB mouse. I think it was a small laptop type version, mounted under one edge.
You get a wheel plus two free buttons.

You can also buy standalone touchpads for various costs.
http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=2026.0

I looked into the touch pad and was about to buy it. But, I read a review on newegg, and I saw that someone purchased it with the intent of using it like a bamboo touch with programs like photoshop. apparently, it is unstable in its touch, as well as having no function in photoshop. That was a big turn off for me.
Tigertron

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 04:35:22 PM »

Sounds interesting. Be sure to let's us know how it works. I would like to see the inside of the pen when you get it open. So post so pics too Smiley
Ryanwc

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 09:30:35 PM »

Sounds interesting. Be sure to let's us know how it works. I would like to see the inside of the pen when you get it open. So post so pics too Smiley

Well, for the pen, I'll probably not be  messing with that. I'm like 90% sure that it is the same technology that any other wacom pen looks like. I say this because there are two models for the bamboo item that I'm getting. There is a multi-touch only one, and a pen and touch. The active area of the mutli touch is the same for both models. The pen active area is slightly more than the touch feature on the pen and touch. I suspect that the reason is because the pen and touch model is merely a wacom board placed behind the multi-touch.

I'll probably post picks when I can. it has been about two weeks of wait for shipping on both my controller board and my lcd screen. it kinda sucks too, because the lcd screen was purchased from someone in my home country, the US, and it might end up taking just as long on the shipping as the controller board, which is being shipped from china.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: