Bongofish
May 25, 2019, 10:56:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Yet another ips226+intuos3 12x19 build  (Read 5598 times)
xguy
New Poster

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2011, 05:04:05 PM »

Hi everyone, I'm just a college student who loves the projects you guys do. I've been lurking pretty darn hard since i signed up to this forum.
I started the process about a year ago. For my original build i was gonna go with a 15" laptop screen i got from a dead compaq but it got scratched when i was moving it one day. I decided to poke around on the ebay to see if there where any 15" panels and ended up searching for intuos 3's instead. i came across a guy selling about 12 12x19 intuos for $200 with no pen or mouse(i had a really small intuos 3 lying around with pen ) so i bought one. It arrived in a couple days and i must say it was MUCH larger than i thought and made my hands tired when i was  testing it out lol.At the time 16:10 aspect ratio was much more popular than the current 16:9 so i had my bro get me a clearance 22" samsung syncmaster from best buy for $180,  It fit the tablet perfectly but the cables were too short, there was alot of jitter, it had horrible viewing angles and it had an internal power supply, nonetheless i went through with it, ordered the ffc extensions AAAAAAAaannd i ended up messing up the lcd pcb attached to the panel   Angry. i started to look for other lcd panels to use but 22" ips panels, with external power bricks were few and expensive at the time so i put the project on haitus and started others ( arcade cabinet) while looking for the best lcd. Fast forward to a couple months ago when i saw the lg ips226 led backlit come in on a truck at my job (i work at a local computer store) i was interested when we put up the display and i found out it had an external power brick. The ratio was 16:9 though so i refrained from buying it because i hoped it was just a trend. These past weeks however two build logs with the same monitor popped up and convinced me to make the plunge. I bought it for $159 (employee pricing) plus a protection plan from the store in case it breaks. It also turns out employees get like half off wacom products and i was so tempted to buy an intuos4 large but thankfully i restrained myself. Now that the history is out of the way...

* 1.jpg (252.06 KB. 1124x864 - viewed 436 times.)

stripped tablet and screen, the ffc extensions worked from the old monitor so no need for me to buy new ones yay!

* 2.jpg (178.62 KB. 864x1008 - viewed 652 times.)

me removing the led bar with an xacto knife, it did get bent up

* 3.jpg (285.5 KB. 1296x864 - viewed 378 times.)

straightened up bar, gotta work on my bed no deskspace for this beast.

* 4.jpg (262.41 KB. 1037x691 - viewed 455 times.)

no shielding test with crazy jitter on about a 1 and a half inch strip on the lcd

* 5.jpg (199.84 KB. 1037x691 - viewed 397 times.)

used the monitor backplate with some paper on the lcd pcb to test if it helps and it does!!! jitter gets reduced to about a 1-3 pixel deviation from all sides.

* 6.jpg (189.56 KB. 1037x691 - viewed 458 times.)

testing the useability and it is perfectly useable.
At this point i started measuring for an enclosure and i stupidly let my metal ruler (dumb i know) graze the top lcd pcb shorting it out. so i packed everything back up and returned to the store and explained the situation, because i bought the protection plan that covers "accidental damage" i got a new one for free and i put a protection plan on that one just in case Roll Eyes.

* 7.jpg (141.5 KB. 1037x691 - viewed 424 times.)

those plastic things in the corner are my answer to the led strip not displaying a uniform brightness to the whole panel after the metal housing is removed they ar part of a dvd cover i chopped up and sanded with my dremel into L/corner brackets, they keep the bar straight and in place but that bar gets mighty hot so i plan on making some metal l brackets in the future. To add to iy i cut a peice of Bristol board the size of the screen to keep the diffusers and stuff in place.
i made a case out of foam board and was planning to use bondo and fiberglass to strengthen but when i went to the craft store to pick up some extra foam board, tape and plexi i came across this...

* 8.jpg (255.31 KB. 1037x691 - viewed 431 times.)

its a display box, they had no plexi so i was gonna buy a big picture frame and steal its plexi. The store had a sale on frames at the time, 50% off so i bought it for 25 bucks, took it home and unwrapped it. To my surprise what i thought was plexi was actually a very thin glass ( it had plastic wrapping on it so i couldn't tell). kinda pissed of i laid it on top of the lcd, then an idea struck me. The back of the box was cardboard but i had a wooden piece of the exact same size and thickness. i put the lcd and tablet with foam board enclosure in the box but it was off by a bit and couldn't close. Getting madder i took of the box i made and everything except the monitor controller board fit.

* 9.jpg (333.81 KB. 713x1296 - viewed 446 times.)

It performs well, very little parallax and the little rim on the box doesn't get in my way at all because it is so big. This thing gets hot at the top though (Flipped the screen like Rik!) i plan on re-making a frame to cover all the pcbs so only the monitor is seen and i will continue on the other enclosure, when it is done it will look more professional IMO we will see. right now the back of the monitor frame housing the monitor pcb is duct taped to the back of the box but i plan on making something better with vesa mounts because i REALLY want an ergotron arm to put this bad boy on.

* drag1.jpg (166.48 KB. 1156x753 - viewed 428 times.)

Testing if i can work on it like this. I thought glass would be too slick but it is not. especially with the spring nibs. i also made some wooden nibs from chopsticks and they work wonderfully.

* logitech-g13-gameboard.jpg (21.99 KB. 450x320 - viewed 433 times.)

I still want those buttons and the scroll pad working but can do without for now as i have had a griffin powermate for awhile now. and i just ordered a logitech g13 programmable keyboard for free from intels website ( you have to be a member taking their training course).

Tigertron

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 08:16:20 PM »

Two successful builds with the ips. Looks like a winner. The price is the convincing point for me. I'd love to get one of the dells but at $325 I can't justify tearing it up to find out it won't work.
Rik!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 08:28:27 PM »

Looks like someone is reallymore organised than me ! ^^
janm

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 09:34:45 PM »

Excellent news i'm happy for you. I must admit i'm leaning towards this panel too....

Still can't find a dell cheap enough on ebay.

Jan
Rik!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 09:47:35 PM »

I must admit : it's a great monitor for the price ! Unfortunately, it's very difficult to find a second hand .
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 09:16:18 PM »

Nice stuff!  And I am including your very nice sketch in this comment!  Smiley

Could you get the internal LCD Panel model number?

I must say, taking the store plan was a very clever move!  But taking measurements (or doing anything that does not require a powered LCD for that matter) with the LCD turned ON is not that brilliant. It evens out. Smiley

Working in a computer store?  How convenient!
xguy
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 03:43:30 PM »

I got over excited at it working so well and had a temporary lapse of judgement with horrible consequences. Sad
I'm not sure where i would find the lcd panel model number, if it is the number on the sticker that is normally on the metal back you remove to get at the diffusers then it is LM215WFS (SL)(C1).
working there is convenient but i have to fight the urge everyday to blow my paycheck.
Currently trying to find metal sheets thin enough to use for the new L-bracket, also has anyone used one of the those control Photoshop from your iPhone/Android apps? They seem like another viable way of getting the extra button functionality without extra hardware.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=898aIW8awxg
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 04:06:26 PM by xguy » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 09:45:51 PM »

The model number is typically visible on a sticker even without removing any circuit boards or anything. It is the number for the whole LCD Panel component.  Typically you also see the brand name in there something like "Samsung LTN150S12-L02-000A"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: