Bongofish
December 08, 2019, 04:53:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Apple monitors  (Read 2473 times)
Tigertron

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2011, 12:25:15 AM »

I'm still wanting to make my XL a 16:10 screen so I'm now looking at apple monitors. The broken ones I find are not led but i don't think that is a deal breaker for me.

I'm looking at the m9178. Anyone know anything good or bad with this. Or even a better choice?

Tony
janm

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 10:48:38 AM »

I don't think anyone has opened an apple monitor to use the screen for conversion.

The size and active area are a pretty good match.

The amount of jitter you get from the screen would be the biggest factor. (its an unknown until you try it)

I have just got a IPS 226V and there is jitter apporox 1.5cm up from the flipout board other then that the screen is very good.
No jitter from the LEDs at all. However I've lost not only due to the 16:9 of the screen but a bit more to the 1.5cm of jitter.

The LVDS board i've put behind the tablet and it does overlap where the screen is but I get no jitter from that. I guess the
metal back in the intous does a pretty good job at sheilding.

The point being you might be able to get away with putting the macs circuitry LVDS and powersupply behind the wacom.

Are you going to swap out the CCFL's with LED's? 

Also the screen plus diffuser would be thick so you're gonna have to modify the diffuser...

Is the apple an IPS screen?

I must admit at those prices avaiable i the US i'd have given it a punt and if I could not use the screen for the tablet conversion i'd have used
it for something else.

I'm still trying to find a cheap enough 16:10 screen but here in the UK the prices are astronomical even for the broken/damaged screens.

Jan

Tigertron

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 11:35:35 AM »

I'm not sure what screen it is. I tried to figure it out but didn't find much. It has a 170 degree view angle so I think it is some type of ips. I'm pretty sure it's not led and I don't know if I would convert it I'd just like to see if it works. Here is one that has good pictures. There is no way I'd pay $175 + tax for a broken monitor but they seem to show up quite often and go around $50-$75 plus shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-M9178LL-A-23-16-10-LCD-Monitor-16-ms-Silver-Parts-Not-Working-/220882940099

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: