Bongofish
November 22, 2019, 12:27:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Don't know how to make a new post without asking a poll question
? - 2 (100%)
- - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 2

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New to this  (Read 1865 times)
shiranui
New Poster

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2011, 01:27:25 AM »

Hello everyone,

I'm pretty new to this, but I have 4 spare LCDs, and I'd love to turn some or even all of them into Cintiqs if possible. The problem is I don't really know much about anything, I've never done anything like this, and I don't even know how to solder. I've gone through a lot of posts, but I'm still not 100% sure how to start off. Basically I was hoping someone can give me some recommendations, or point me in the right direction. Quality of the tablet is important for how well it draws, but not necessarily how it looks. I do prefer it to be pretty portable though as well.

Basically what I'd like to know is what i need for each LCD to convert it, basically i want to stick to USB since serial seems a lot more complicated. I know that I'll need a lvds for each lcd as well, and that i'm pretty sure i can figure that out myself.  when it comes to housing the LCD, I can figure that out later as well.  Mainly it's digitizers that i think i need to figure out. Like which digitizer is good for which lcd, how to figure out which ones are usb, whether or not its better to get an actual tablet. I don't have a huge budget, but if you really feel that I need it, just let me know and I'll keep it in mind. Also if you felt it would be better to just stick to one lcd and put more money towards that one, I'll take that into consideration as well.  Any kind of help is appreciated. Thanks

Laptop                    Brand           Model                        Size      Dimensions                      Resolution
HP tx1000                   Samsung           LTN121W1-L03        12.1"      10.2"x6.4" Widescreen      1280x800
Dell Latitude 630           Samsung          LTN141WD-L07          14.1"      12"x7.4" Widescreen              1440x900
Old Dell                   Samsung          LTN141X9-L01        14.1"      11.3"x8.4" Fullscreen              1024x768
Hp pavilion              LG-Philips          LP171WX2                  17"      14.4"x9" Widescreen              1440x900

I also have a Intuos 3, ptz-630 6x8 tablet, but I'd rather keep that separate and not use it for this project, which probably won't matter since its a small tablet anyways. And i have a tx2000 but that laptop is still running alright, and i didn't want to try and convert that until it died.
CountachLP400
New Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 11:13:36 AM »

Hopefully you're still here. Smiley

I doubt you'll need to solder anything, so no worries there.

You definitely want to use a conventional tablet rather than a tablet-pc digitizer. The ones you find in tablet pc's are not very sensitive, bad to draw with. Moreover, it would be quite difficult to rig one up.

If you need usb, buy an Intuos 2 or newer, you'll be glad you did.

Laptop LCDs are also a pain. I'd recommend buying yourself a Dell 1501 FP monitor. Incompetent folks like us need all the help we can get, and Drewid's many pictures are invaluable.

Do you have a Dremel or other similar rotary tool? If no, buy one, now.

Finally, make sure you have a clear workspace that can be kept clear of children/cats/whatever destructive thing you keep for company.

Good Luck.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: