Bongofish
December 12, 2019, 06:05:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: LG IPS 226-V discoloration and uneven lighting  (Read 5330 times)
Dragon

View Profile WWW
« on: December 06, 2011, 04:27:00 AM »

I just got my LG IPS 226-V for a cintiq build and it was looking really good until I set the desktop to all black and turned off the lights.  Then it looks like this:

* IMG_20111205_181855-adjusted.jpg (465.64 KB. 2592x1952 - viewed 461 times.)

Actually, the discoloration in the lower right appears the same color as in the upper left when viewed straight on (apparently it turns purple from some angles, like the angle I took the picture from).  Here it is from the front:

* IMG_20111205_190448-adjusted.jpg (470.21 KB. 2592x1952 - viewed 384 times.)

The uneven lightness isn't noticeable when viewing pictures and stuff, and it seems to disappear from the corners when viewing other solid colors like blue or white, but with those colors there's some uneven light mostly towards the top and a bit at the bottom:

* IMG_20111205_170536-K499-adjusted.jpg (443.52 KB. 2592x1952 - viewed 385 times.)

* IMG_20111205_170928-K499-adjusted.jpg (473.93 KB. 2592x1952 - viewed 417 times.)

I've never seen an LCD panel without some uneven lighting, but still, I guess I was expecting more from an IPS panel.  Do you think I got a defective one or am I just expecting too much perfection?

bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 05:46:22 AM »

A LOT of LCD monitors have uneven backlight, especially the older ones.  But here it is a question of how much.  If you are paying$$$ for an IPS panel, they better get the backlight right!   Is this LED of CCFL?  if CCFL, you have to wait a little for it to "heat up"  -- but I am talking like max 10 minutes.

For LCDs, the "black" is the most difficult one to do typically -- it has to block the light as much as possible.   Is this a high-contrast monitor?  try to go in econo - mode (or get out of econo mode) or there might be settings that controls the backlight power. You might want to try to see if you can live with one of the settings.
Dragon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 06:26:37 AM »

Thanks, Bernard.  This is a very recent monitor using the latest IPS tech but it looks like they had to cut a lot of corners to sell it at such a great price.  I just went hunting reviews (I have no idea why I didn't think to try that first) and found this video where the guy complains about the same sort of backlight inconsistency, even worse than on mine.  Apparently he ordered two of these monitors and the second one had a dead pixel so he sent that back too.  Many people in his comments say they have areas of light bleed in their monitors too, and many people in Amazon.com reviews say the same thing.

But since this panel is $100 less than any other IPS panel and the light bleed isn't too noticeable under most conditions and the monitor is perfect for Cintiq building and has been used by a few people before, I think I'll keep it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: