Bongofish
November 17, 2019, 05:26:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Which monitor should I choose?  (Read 1855 times)
rokushi64kc
New Poster

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2011, 05:13:20 AM »

Hi! I have a choice between two monitors that are just laying around the house collecting dust. I almost threw them out but figured this would be a fun project, even though I'm not the most Wacom-tech savvy person by any means.

One will be fromm a laptop:
Dell Studio 1555, 15.6 inch widescreen, 16:9 aspect ratio, Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD (is this needed? I can take that from the laptop if it is).

The other is quite clunky, and is a desktop:
Dell E173FP, 17 inches, 5:4 aspect ratio.

I was planning on purchasing one of the new Bamboo tablets, the Bamboo Connect, but that active area on those are 5.8" x 3.6", and the full size is 10.9" x 6.9. Both monitors are a few inches larger! Which one would you go with?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!

Edit: Or perhaps I'll just purchase an older, cheaper tablet!
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 07:51:54 AM »

Bamboo tends to be jittery in Cintiqs builds (but not always).

Monitor larger than tablet is not the best idea typically (but some have found ways to workaround that).

Have you checked our Simtiq Planner tool for matching sizes?

Unless you are after some special feature, the older tablets (Ultrapads/DigitizerII/ArtzPad) are quite nice. Some of them are not USB but those can be converted if you are willing (and if you can solder). The 17 inch monitor.  Before ordering anything, check out what you have in more detail.

A 17 inch LCD Panel collecting dust? Ooookaay. How can you throw THAT away?  Cool  Well, I would immediately open that one to see how thick the LCD Panel is and if there is a lot of metal in there or how the backlight is arranged (is it from the side or the back).  While doing this, pickup the LCD Panel component brand and model number (and tell us). The good thing about a monitor is that everything to drive the LCD Panel is already included.  From the laptop, you cannot extract anything useful than the LCD Panel itself. (maybe the inverter for the backlight).  Those tend to be thinner (5-6mm) and side-back lit (CCFL). You will need to get yourself a LVDS board. Check our wiki for notes about that.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: