Bongofish
December 12, 2019, 05:22:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem with 20x0.5mm FFC cable/extender  (Read 5088 times)
boomandvibe

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2011, 10:53:16 PM »

So I have dell 1503fp Rev01 which has one 20x0.5mm pitch FFC cable.

I purchased extender and extra FFC cable from quadrangleproducts.com but the FFC they have is slightly thicker than the monitor FFC.

The extender is very lose when connected to the monitor's FFC and the extra FFC will break the monitor's connector if I force it in.

What should I do?
Adlorem

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 07:25:50 AM »

I would suggest to glue some polycarbonate foil on the end where cable is loose. Make sure it is polycarbonate, because this one can stand temperature of 120 deg of C.
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 07:27:09 AM »

take a picture.

Loose side: simply add a piece of paper or plastic to make the thickness to fit.

Cannot-fit-side: there is nothing you can "remove" to make it thinner?  Sometimes there is a blue "sticker" at the end, but it depends on the FFC cable of course.
Adlorem

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 10:26:50 AM »

I would be careful with paper, because some pieces of electronic can be quite hot. If this is backlight ribbon cable DON'T USE PAPER Wink
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 06:10:19 PM »

You think they picked a FFC/FPC cable for high-powered applications?  How much power do you think these tiny traces can carry?

EDIT: you are talking about the heat. I understand. Yeah, paper can turn brown etc. maybe you could have another pieces of FPC ripped from another device? I mean, find a piece of FPC in another device (A "CD drive" or "3.5inch floppy drive" from an old desktop PC typically have such FPCs near the head)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 06:38:07 PM by bernard » Logged
boomandvibe

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 07:28:07 PM »

YES there is some blue strip at the end! It's not a sticker though. It's a plastic piece that is super glued there. Can I just rip it off? I thought it was there on purpose.

As for the loose extender, Where can I find the polycarbonate foil?

I've also ordered 40x0.5mm extender from DIY-beamer, since they have no 20x0.5mm ones. Can I use just the half of it?

UPDATE: Ok, I have a spare cable so I thought why not try removing the blue 'sticker' thing. I ripped it off and the cable is ruined. I don't think you can remove that blue thing.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 07:49:23 PM by boomandvibe » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 09:43:38 PM »

Blue strip/ruined cable: Sorry to hear Sad   

Stripping: Of course, it was never meant to be stripped off. I never did this myself. Maybe with the help of some toxic chemical, Dremel or exacto knife?

Another devils' attempt at this:  Can you cut out the cable end (i.e. remove the ruined section) to rebuild a new "end" by (very carefully!) "scratch out" the 'white plastic' that is covering the metal strips to makeup the contacts?  In other words, that would also test if you can shorten a FFC cable (your other question).  If this works, it will not only shorten it, but it will make it thinner!

boomandvibe

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 11:42:46 PM »

I just received FFC from DIY-Beamer and their cables are exactly the same width too!!!!

I saw one of the build logs and the guy had exactly the same monitor as I have, but he didn't have any problems with FFC cable. What is going on?!?!?!

My monitor has weird FFC or something?
boomandvibe

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 12:52:16 AM »

After countless times of ruining my FFC, I finally managed to safely peel off the insulation off about half way. My neck hurts....
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 01:25:52 AM »

lol!  Ok, so now with your countless experience, you can give us a tutorial on how to do it!  Cool

Same width? what do you mean?  Same thickness maybe?

Give us some photos!
boomandvibe

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 01:27:59 AM »

I finally stripped all the insulation out and tested it but it's sliightly loose. Sigh back to step one.

UPDATE: IT LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAHAHAHAHLKSJDFLKAJFLKSAJLKFJALKDF
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 01:40:52 AM by boomandvibe » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 02:25:33 AM »

slightly loose?  You are using a ZIF connector, right? I mean, you are using the flaps and all, right? 

Can't wait to see your photos.
boomandvibe

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 04:12:06 AM »

I just realized my laptop doesn't have Serial port. Need to get Serial to USB tomorrow. I'll try to post pics
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 04:18:16 AM »

Serial port?  Do you mean it to connect the UD-1212-R?  What OS do you have?
boomandvibe

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 08:45:25 AM »

Windows 7
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: