Bongofish
December 10, 2019, 03:38:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You may have to login twice the first time,  but we don't know why - Erm I mean it's a security thing yeah that's it - security.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 6 bits panels ?  (Read 3359 times)
GwenLP

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2012, 01:28:36 AM »

Hi !

I was slowly making progress, finding LEDs backlit panels the right size and possibly the controller to go with them and BAAMM, bad news: most of the Laptop LCDs I've found (if not all) are 18 bits displays (3×6) only capable of displayinf 262K colors. So this is almost like the old 16 bits displays !
I am a bit disappointed: I don't want my Cintiq to show horrible "steps" in the gradients of flat areas...

In the meantime, i've never noticed it was so ugly on my laptop, which panel a 6bit panel is as well...

I know that the HANVON Cintiq-like stuff uses a 6bits panel and many people thought that was a huge problem...

What do you think ?
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 04:56:50 PM »

You said it yourself:  You had 6 bits colors on your laptop and did not even notice... 

"Many people think it is a huge problem". Well, see for yourself, you are the one that is going to use this, not the "many people". Gauge the pros and cons. Look at your laptop gradients "horrible" steps, to see if you can live with that.

6 bit is extremely common (because TN panels are cheap). Some of the more recent TNs emulate 8+ bits using higher refresh rates and temporal dithering (or "FRC").

I personally wouldn't care for a DIY simtiq, just because I would consider myself very lucky to have an inexpensive simtiq to start with and what I am getting is the power of the pen/screen combination. This is, for me, not about doing "color proofing" or whatever (but I can understand if you use it for painting certain stuff that use a lots of "smooth" gradients). I can use my main monitor as a backup for the finer-color-details. One note thought, for a product like the Wacom Cintiq that is overpriced, I would not expect less than 8 bits. But that's just me.  Smiley

GwenLP

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 12:17:52 AM »

I guess you are right.

I've had a closer look at my laptop screen (a panel I've changed myself in fact: the original was smashed, so i know the exact specs.) and found this was really acceptable.
I've tried to run windows in 16 bits too (65K) and THAT looks horrible.

Question :But how do they code RGB with 16 bits Huh 3x5(RGB) +1(alpha) ? 3x4 and 4 alpha bits ?

Anyway, it seems not to be a huge problem after all. And i will not be particularly picky about colours, if i need to check something, I'll have my 24" monitor any way.

Still i did'nt know that 6bits panels were the norm...

bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 02:19:26 AM »

6 bits panels are cheap. That is why they are popular.

There are 2 types of "16 bits" RGB modes:  555 (33K) and 565 (65K) colors.   

- 555 is 5 bits per channel   
- 565 is like 555 but the Green channel has 6 bits instead of 5 (the eye is very sensitive to the green channel).

Having an alpha channel does not make sense for a LCD screen!

For the reader: 6 bits per channel is 18 bits and 262K colors.
GwenLP

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 10:22:59 PM »

Thanks for the info Bernard.

Having an alpha channel does not make sense for a LCD screen!
Of course not. I was refering to the 16bits colour depth we find in our operating systems (or 24 or 32).

I've got another question, but it is not monitor related, so I'll post it into the thread i use from the start, in the "Heeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaalp" section.

Thanks !
Pesho

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 11:09:12 AM »

The 6bit thing is such a non-issue, i've been using only CRTs until i switched to a 6bit e-IPS panel this year and haven't noticed any difference in picture quality. Plus almost all 6bit screens have temporal dithering, which makes it even less apparent. The best way to see what you're getting is to run your monitor through this website:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php

If there is any banding, it will become visible there. If you still want IPS for your build look for AFFS panels, its a variation of IPS they use in laptops. Most tabletPC's use AFFS screens, and they are usually pre-assembled with a digitizer, but that's a whole different field of the DIY cintiq shennanigans. You can read more about 6bit vs. 8bit here:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 11:36:19 AM by Pesho » Logged
GwenLP

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 09:59:04 AM »

Thanks Pesho !

That's a nice website and a very interesting read !
I didn't have a clue about that 6bits/8bits stuff...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: