Bongofish
September 24, 2018, 09:12:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can attach photos hosted by the forum rather than using an external image hosting site, this means they will stay forever and not disappear after a year or two.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UD-1212R with Pen, both Serial Cables and power supply, + a Serial to USB cable  (Read 3081 times)
boomandvibe

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2012, 01:15:20 AM »

Sorry folks, I had given my build another chance.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 06:08:55 AM by boomandvibe » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 01:40:55 AM »

You do not want to convert it to USB?  http://forum.bongofish.co.uk/index.php?topic=1930.0
boomandvibe

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 03:42:54 AM »

Does it work well on Win7 64bit? With pressure an everything?
Is the kit about 20 dollars?
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 04:17:52 AM »

Your UD-1212-R tablet is really good hardware. And for the price you got it, it is a given (if you can make it work of course). It works very well (despite being old), I would say that most of the comparable features of the newer tablets go unnoticed by 90%+ of people. (I mean the pen accuracy, sensitivity and internal processing speed). Of course I am not talking about the side buttons, pads, multi-touch and other physical features.

It is not a kit and these are not really tutorials. We just share our experience to help others.

You need to be able to do electronic soldering. (There might be ways to avoid soldering, but it will be much more expensive and not as "cool looking" in the end). If you already own (or know someone that owns) solder equipment (nothing fancy, this can be found for cheap), a cutter and/or good utility knife, preferably a continuity tester (multi-meter) to test your soldering stuff before powering it, then you only need to get yourself a 16$+shipping "Teensy 2.0" board. This board is stamp-sized, it's small. Make sure you have a standard mini-usb cable around or get one. Wires you can find from unused cables (network cables or old VGA monitor cables contains lots and colorful ones). If you have none, then just go in any computer shop and beg for a one or two foot piece of network patch cable or simply a non-functional one from the trash.

The end result is a very functional tablet using the latest Wacom drivers that will work on any popular OSes (including MacOSX, Win32/64 of any versions and Linux). Pressure, eraser, stylus side buttons and all that good stuff works smoothly and nicely. You can even get rid of the power supply adapter! (the tablet is powered directly from the USB port).  A few people have done it so far and to my knowledge all were successful despite bumpy roads sometimes, electronics are delicate (but Wacom tablets are solid Smiley ). Even our beloved Drew (the owner of bongofish) did it a couple of times.

I tried asking the question to warn you before you bought the virtual serial port but I thought you already saw this - I was not sure what you were up to (you were not answering my questions, or very partially). You were very quick. I know how difficult it can be in the fast-paced internet world, but try to plan carefully and patiently ask all the questions. Some people here spent over 1000$US (no joke) trying to make a DIY cintiq and failed (and it wasn't even their fault!) I am just trying to say that it can go up quickly $$$ if you add up all the spending.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 08:00:11 AM by bernard » Logged
boomandvibe

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 06:08:27 AM »

Oh wow I didn't know about this! I'll try it! People are geniuses

The thing was, I already ordered all the necessary components before I even started writing here. I needed something to do over winter break. I didn't know about the Win7 situation.

But I'll try it again.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 06:15:43 AM by boomandvibe » Logged
bernard
Administrator

pato mania

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 08:03:18 AM »

BTW, that "serial cable" that you have is something that many people searched in the past (often you get the ultrapad boards without a serial cable) so you could convert that trading post entry to just sell the cable Smiley. I think you can modify the title, if not, I'll do it.
boomandvibe

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 08:23:30 AM »

I can return the cable to Microcenter
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: